Making your own ipod touch game/app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheCherub, Apr 1, 2010.

1. TheCherub

TheCherub Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Hey, first of all i would like to apologise if this is in the wrong section or there is a thread already relating to this subject but i need some help. I would like to develop my own ipod touch game and i need some starting points and guidance on how to start. I have a bunch of ideas and am hoping to make them a reality!:eek:

2. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    First, ask Zincous or another Moderator to move this too the 'Developer Discussion' section, you will find a lot of tips from game developers there. Flickkitty provides some very good tips.

Here is some advice. Watch all of the developer videos when you sign up as a developer, espicially the Cocoa Touch video. Other than that, just do a bunch of research on the web, you will be suprised on what you may find.

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    First, you need to download the Apple SDK software from the official Apple website.

4. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    That's not obvious;)

5. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Your ideas are..... That could really help. :D

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Nice try. Trying to steal someone else's ideas...

7. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

"Bad artists copy. Great artists steal."
    -Pablo Picasso

;)

8. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Ideas are worth nothing. Everyone has ideas. So you can steal all of my ideas, if you want. ;)

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Manchester, England
    Well to start you need to know how to code, be able to get some awesome graphics, need about 1-4 months part time work to spend on it, and like $100 to sign up on the developers programme.
    I'm not exactly sure, so I apologise if that info is wrong.

MrFungFung (creator of mini squadron, fox vs duck) has a blog in which he writes updates about him making his games. It doesn't sound like a peaceful thing...

10. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Woulda thought that makes them a great thief?

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Ha ha, probably right. I guess it's not to be taken literally. It kind of fits perfect with "If you're gonna steal, steal from the best" (originator eludes me). Personally I see it as an acknowledgement of the fact that truly original ideas are incredibly rare. Almost everything is built upon earlier ideas, but there's a lot of room for finding an original twist/execution to earlier work. I certainly don't condone outright stealing of others ideas, but in software terms "stealing" and being "inspired by" means different things to different people.

After all "building a better mousetrap" is kind of the recipe for quick improvements. All that said though, I'm probably as paranoid as any other developer thinking my ideas are too great to share too early. ;)

12. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I don't develop but I need a setting and atmosphere to direct him on which engine to use and whether 2d or 3d. Plus, maybe he has ganeplay but like no characters or story.:D

13. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #13 Flickitty, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    What Picasso meant is that anyone can copy, and a copy is an obvious and blatant ripoff. Stealing makes it your own; while the concept and ideas may be borrowed, the method of execution is undeniably yours. The execution is so perfect that the 'thief' is often associated as the 'originator'.

Picasso was fantastic at making distinctive art.

For a brilliant example of this:

[​IMG]

Banksy has taken a well known quote, and has now made it undeniably his own. I can't even begin to discuss the brilliance of this- Banksy is probably the most brilliant artist of our time.

14. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    What did I tell you? Flickkitty is one experienced Developer:)

15. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    First off you need a mac. It is impossible to list how many people.come here saying they want to make an app yet they don't even have a mac.

16. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Yes, you need a Mac. An intel powered Mac with Leopard or Snow Leopard OS.
    Furthermore:
    - an iPhone or an iPod Touch (or even an iPad)
    - Objective-C knowledge (C++ might also be useful)
    - mastering the Object Oriented way of thinking and the basic Design patterns (or else you'll end up writing a farting game ;))
    - Photoshop / Blender / 3D Studio Max knowledge - or some money to share with a professional 2D/3D artist
    - if you are not a musician, again some money for the ingame music and sound effects
    - lot of time and endurance
    -again, money to advertise your app (just incase)