iPhone Metroidvania

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by starcat, Jun 2, 2011.

1. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    ok, some of you have been asking for Metroidvania games. i finally got the Itch and decided after my Current project is complete, i will begin on a HUGE massively huge metroidvania game.

Currently i have written over 500 weapons. 15 weapon types. tons of armor / weapon combinations, 9 Transformations, 20 different spells.

Mysterious relics for added replay value. Multiple "castles" if you will.

i dont wanna give away TOO much.. but you can explore to the depths of hell and all the way up into heaven.

i have some pretty insane pixel artists and other types of artists involved so its going to look similar to castlevania symphony of the night. except much larger.

i also have a pretty Popular DJ in the Seattle area doing most of the soundtrack.

so at this time if theres anything you want to see in the DEFINITIVE metroidvania game for the Ipad im all ears.

gimmie everything you could possibly want. this is the Wishlist thread and i will be taking everything to heart.

2. AssassinEman

AssassinEman Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Male
    I have played some of the metroid games but have not been able to play any of the castlevania games and I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing this one when it is done. If I had one thing to ask is for a multiplayer co-op story mode of some sort. I don't think any metroidvania style game has done that. Anyway if you could do that it would be awesome.

3. Prophecy07

Prophecy07 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Like someone said in the previous thread, movement is a must. If moving doesn't feel "right," then the whole game is fighting a losing battle. Focus on it. Redo it. Do it more times after that.

Beyond that, SotN is the holy grail for me. Beautiful mix of movement and combat, unique enemies in every room, an engaging storyline, tons of secret passages and other secrets, an entire half of the game you could simply skip/miss, gorgeous graphics...

4. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    ya, its an amazing undertaking, thats why i want to do it.. i doubt anyone else could get it right.

i cant do a multiplayer / co op mode because the technology im using limits me. so thats going to have to come at a much later date.

but as far as "movement" is concerned i will get it right. i make everything as i want to play it. and any TINY detail that would irritate me i'd fix. from menus to small graphic things.. to translating errors or particle effects etc.

5. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest
    I'd definitely like to have enemies worth exp, letting the main character gradually level up.

And I LOVE the castlevania games where each enemy has a (variably) rare drop that gives powers/weapons.

Why not blatantly rip 'em off and have an active weapon/skill slot or two, and a passive slot (or two) - letting the player mix and match for different situations. The best weapons/skills could be rare drops...

Other than that, the map is always important and useful, should be quick to bring up and to dismiss. And of course, like stated above, fluid movement is the most important of all. =). Really wish you well, and looking forward to it.

6. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    the game is going to be relatively close to Sotn.

there are going to be tons of items, dual item equips as well as armor and such. i want it to be quite a bit larger than Sotn, but i might have to expand it with IAP sections. im not sure yet.

this isnt something thats going to be done tomorrow.. its gonna take a while to develop this and get it right.

7. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    No IAP weapons/armor/consumables. You want us to buy expansions/levels, fine and understandable, you want us to buy stuff that will effect the way we play the game, not a fan.

8. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Any chance of this coming to the iphone?

9. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    i have no intention of making IAP weapons or anything that someone can basically Power their way through content. the only IAP will be Areas and possibly an IAP character.

and as for coming to the iphone... i doubt it.. im making this specifically for the ipad.

i may be able to do an iphone version but the ipad version is probably going to come first.

im finishing up another game and dealing with some Artists level drawing atm. gotta make sure it looks good as well as plays good.

some people have donated money to the cause and that helps. so if you feel like the idea please help the cause! every penny helps get this done that much faster.

and feel free to give me more ideas while this is still in the idea stages.

10. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Thanks for the feedback on this forum. It's always awesome when a dev interacts with his audience, that shows dedication and caring about his product.

1. Don't make it too easy. Obne of the very few falws of Symphony of the night was that it was designed so that anyone could go through, and for us old-school castlevania gamers, that was a bit dissappointing.

2. Make sure to include good boss battles. A key part of playing these, such as Metroid Fusion or Aria of Sorrow, for me was looking forward to seeing what big evil the game would throw at me next. Please don't make bosses just larger versions of enemies.

3. Any chance of having some sort of magic system. Looking at the Gameboy Advance Castlevanias, some of the best metroivanias out there, each of them had a magic system that allowed for a wide variety of powers, such as the spell fusion system in Harmony of Dissonance.

4. Have a good surprise or two in it. (upside-down castle) ;)

5. NO motion controls. Those will not work in a metroivania.

6. Have fun making it, and keep talking to the fans. If this is good, I promise I'll buy an iPad just for this game.

11. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    well 1, the game is going to have massive replay value for all difficulty levels.. boss rush mode, puzzle solving elements and some other things. i dont think it will be too easy.

im not trying to make a clone of castlevania, im just trying to make a good game with its own storyline in the style of the metroidvania style.

there is a magic system. infact there are seperate charicters

theres a Demon hunter who uses forbidden magic. theres a warrior type guy who uses mostly items you find in the levels and he can draw out their power.

theres also an assassin who uses a lot of stealth moves.. so if you wanna go through the game with killing as few enemies as possible and see how sneaky you can do it, you would pick him.

the demon hunter uses magic and demon possession techniques.

the warrior guy is mainly brute force with some bonuses ill not say here.

there is plans for a 4th secret charicter but you gotta beat the game to unlock it.

and no i have no desire to add motion controls. those are just stupid..

im even considering adding an area where you can hire people. but thats WAY later.

12. CrisisInNeed

CrisisInNeed Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Student
    Sydney,nsw,australia
    Whats the other game?

13. starcat

Feb 7, 2010
    ill show ya when its done.

14. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

This thread has intrigued me. I'm curious how this is all coming together and why we should donate before seeing any progress. Your ideas sound wonderful, but, to be honest, I feel a little skeptical.

Am keeping an open mind though.

Cheers!