Will you be buying the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Sep 13, 2012.

?

1. Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 4S

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 4

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Yes - I will be upgrading from my iPhone 3GS (or older model)

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Yes - I will be upgrading from my current Samsung/Nokia/Blackberry/etc Phone

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 4S

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 4

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  7. No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my iPhone 3GS (or older model)

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. No - I will not be buying the iPhone 5; i'm happy with my current Samsung/Nokia/Blackberry/etc Phone

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #1 KiddToKmart, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

As an iPhone 4S owner (factory unlocked, 16GB), i'm utterly confused.

I could sell this one and pull together the extra cash for an upgrade. But then, I ask myself if it's really worth it.

I own an iPad 2 as well and overcame the temptation of upgrading to 'The New iPad'... looking back, I don't regret it one bit. This is definitely a tougher decision, though!

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    None of those answers really fit me. I may get iPhone 5 if I pay some for myself and our family gets extra cash from selling an apartment - if that happens this year or I may get an iPhone 4/4S since they're gonna be cheaper.

Anyway, the iPhone prices are ridiculous here. 600-900 for iPhones as new... 20€ a month+contract just for the iPhone 4S 16GB. Oh and you gotta pay for 24 months

3. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I have decided I won't get the iPhone 5 and keep my 4S was really disappointed :( was hoping for something more than this and since the iPhone is really expensive in my country might cost around $800 for the 16gb model, I really wont pay that price for just a bump in the specs not a real upgrade so I might get a new iPad and this iPhone should be called iPhone 4SS

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I will be upgrading to the 5, but not right away. So I said yes, from a 4, because that's true, but I'd rather have had the choice to yes, but not right away. :) It's a very nice upgrade from the 4. I just can't afford to upgrade right now.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Curious what you guys think of this, hopefully a developer or two will chime in.

Going from 960x340 to 1136x340 may be a curse. Think about it. Developers are going to have to rewrite their games completely adding content. Devs cannot stretch their game or crop it, they have to rewrite it completely to fill those spaces.

How will this affect physics puzzles like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope. Suddenly the field has grown. They could actually just add a border on the side. My concern would be with DSS or Shmups. Game that do not comply will have black borders on each side. How will that translate to dual stick shooters that now have the buttons pushed in from the corner. What percent of the older games will take the time to rewrite their games to make them comply? 50% maybe?

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I pretty much don`t have a choice because...
    • My current contract run two Weeks ago out and my provider is trying to convince me to extend my contract with an iPhone 5 on Launch Day.
    • Real Racing 3 is a System Seller for me, probably Infinity Blade: Dungeons too.
    If it comes to my Friends most told me yesterday that they all will wait and see how the new iDevice will do and what I`ll think about it if it comes to Gaming.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm the last option, pretty happy with my Samsung for now, although I didn't think so beforehand or even yesterday the new Touch may tempt me if Apple haven't skimped on the Ram.

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Probably. At least one of the iPhone4's in my home will be upgraded (on my dime).

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #9 LBG, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 4 for now. It still manages to run most new games at a decent frame rate, and while the graphics may be toned down a bit, there are still games which continue to impress me.

I know everyone has been going on about the apparent lack of changes with the iPhone 5, but it's a much bigger change than the iPhone 4S was. With the iPhone 5 I think the taller (wider in landscape) screen is going to make it more enjoyable to play games on, and obviously the extra power is welcome and will be put to good use.

I am wondering though, what developers think of the change in the aspect ratio. They already have to support a range of different resolutions. But now another resolution and aspect ratio has been added, it's going to get even more complicated and confusing. I'm assuming all current iPhone apps will have black bars top and bottom when running on an iPhone 5, unless the developer has updated the app to support the new aspect ratio.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yuppaz, gonna be upgrading. The 5th gen will be my very first iPhone (I've previously only had Touch's and iPads...)

I'm pretty psyched... gonna get it around January (it's when I'll be able to upgrade my phone through Verizon) - WOOT!!! =oD

11. inFamous2-VIC

inFamous2-VIC Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    iPhone 5 will be a graduation gift for me (class of 13) and the best MacBook pro 15 inch 2011 version because it has a cd port. :p

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    iPhones are really expensive where they are sold out of contracts, Apple knows that very well and for PpL like us, they have the iPod touch, contract less, lesser specs but latest iOS.

I have the iPod touch 2g & I don't think i'll buy another iPod ever...
    originally, the 2 year contract & upgrade was not being accepted but now a days, a one year wait is a huge thing! we know that no technology is future proof but we are still not satisfied with what the best thing is today...

I wanna buy a samsung focus 2 as it has a memory card slot & a secondary camera & will upgrade to win 7.8, but it is not available in my country, the nokia lumia 920 is too much for a phone of my choice, but I guess i'll have to wait for an entry range phone with dual camera, memory card slot is a good thing for a long run

13. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I'll be getting the 5S when it comes out next year. My contracts up next December.

14. I'll upgrade to the 5, but not for a while since my contract is still far away which is May 2013, so probably at that time I will switch. Unless of course something drastic changes.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I ordered one through contract for myself and 2 through apple for possible resell. I realize I'll make maybe $240 in total reselling them, so I'm not sure if it's worth the headache.

I don't want to deal with eBay, if I can at all help it. Locally is better.

16. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    My contract doesn't end until July 2013 but even if I could upgrade now, I wouldn't. Most UK networks won't be able support iPhone 5 until next year.

17. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Might as well wait then until the next release. Or get the 5 next year when it drops in price.

I don't think I could wait though. My camera has been acting up and I've been terribly jealous of people that have the 4s :)

7 days will never feel so long!! And I can't believe I can't even get down the damn stairs, I'm going to have to figure out some brilliant plan out ;)

18. {:L.S:}

{:L.S:} Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I couldn't wait to get my first iPhone (iPhone 4 that I have now) had I waited just a bit longer I could have got the 4S. :(

19. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    My contract is up, and my iPhone 4 display is cracked. But for me it's between the Note 2 & iPhone 5. I'm totally bored with the iPhone but it's functional. I like the 'touch up' on design and the maps in conjunction with TomTom look good. Time will tell if it's as good as Google Maps though.

The Note 2 is a ridiculous size, but I'm far more excited by it. Using an S3, I feel like Android has a lot more to offer over the somewhat stale rows of tiles you get with ios. For all Apples talk of 'Retina' (maximum points for the name) I much prefer the Super Amoleds.. the colours pop, perhaps some over saturation but I love it.

I'll wait until I can try them both to be sure.

20. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #20 visionwebs, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    If one has an iPhone 4 or 4s already, finds that it does the job well then the iPhone 5 is a waste of money, considering a 5s/iPhone 6 will be out next year, then another upgrade after that and so on.

An a6 processor won't make much of a difference to iPhone gamers either. Sensible Developers will always program for the common denominator.

The occasional high graphic game that comes out which pushes the system to its limit won't be worth the few dollars or pounds relative to the cost purchase price of the hardware itself. In regards to the ammount of time entertainment said games will provide.

Infinity blade dungeons by the way, is optimised for the iPad 3 supposedly as the game was finished earlier in the year. It will probably still run acceptably on an iPhone 4 the developers will want to reach a mass market.

As for me personally, I will actually be programming properly for ios from this year alongside my university dissertation (which will also be apple programming)
    And I see absolutely no reason to get involved with the fuss of a new shiny device. Just going to program for where the main market is at in relation to what I want to acheive and this will most certainly not be an iPhone 5 demographic.

I think apples new versioning is about "keep them mean and keep them keen". The only real reason to upgrade is after 2-3 years post to the model one currently has when apple and affiliated companies will drop out support.

Take snow leopard and mountain lion for example. If snow leopard does what is needed then stay with that and don't pay the extra to upgrade, what's the point? I did upgrade to mountain lion later than most (thankfully!) and only because there was a specific feature I wanted, which actually could have been implemented in the previous operating system but that is just apples profiteering at work.

Which leads to another example, early adopters for the majority of products are bitten hard and people who sit and wait will get the benefits of bug fixes, feature extensions... So on.

I can't wait to start doing all this proper programming (my curnt app doesn't count, did that in 30 minutes) and showing that it's not just about bling and flashies. Of course I'm not going to say what I'm working on though.

The moral of the wall of text is, don't rush to upgrade. No point!

Unless one doesn't have an iPhone at all, then go for it.