Gonna announce my game soon. I'm all nervous. Is my trailer ok?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Wizardo, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Hey guys. CastleAbra will be my first release. I've been working on it for over 3 years and I'm really proud of it. The only thing that gives me concern is the length of the trailer. It's over 2 minutes and people say the ideal length should be around a minute. I don't know if this applies to a story based adventure game like mine though. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you developers think.

CastleAbra Trailer

Honesty is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if viewers will be entertained or bored.

This is a private link for now and is only meant for getting feedback.

Thanks for looking!

2. Since it's pretty much always the same kind of gameplay being illustrated I'd cut it to a minute with the best scenes. 3 years dev time.. wow, must be special to be finally done.

Good luck with your launch. What's the pricing model for it?

3. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Woah looks awesome! As a none-dev I think 1:00-1:30 might be a little better. Just cut a little bit of the gameplay out or speed it up a tiny bit. Also, at the end you might want to add a frame that has your app icon and something that says "now available on the App Store". Can't wait to play it. :)

4. opsive

opsive Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Love the art style. Congrats on finishing!

Like the others have said, I feel like the trailer moves at a slow pace. I think there are also too many scenes of just the characters talking and not enough gameplay. In fact, it may be just me but I'm not sure what the goal of the game is. You're supposed to be the hero of a doomed romance, but what does that really mean? More gameplay would definitely put that into better context.

5. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure we're gonna launch at 3 dollars for iPhone. That may be suicide, but it's a pretty big game. I'll let you all know how that works out for me.

Thanks! We are gonna add stuff like that at the end. When we launch, I plan on giving out codes on TA. I'll let you guys know so you can grab some if you want.

Appreciate it. That's my biggest concern. The game is a traditional, point and click adventure game (Think Myst). The plot is basically a crazy, 3 way love story between a hapless hero, a crazy wizard and a trapped princess. I didn't wanna beat people over the head with specifics, I just wanted to people a sense of the game. I may have to be more specific.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    'Joo' , 'I gots to have you' uhmm.

I think maybe you should improve the language re:- spelling and grammar before launch?

If that gets sorted, I think I'll be buying :)

7. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    #7 Wizardo, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks!

When the Squid says "I gots to have you, baby!" The bad grammar is due to him speaking like a 1950's greaser. And the bull says "Joo" because he's Cuban and has a thick accent. I think the rest of the grammar is ok. You made a valid point, but it'll make sense when you get to know the characters.
    :)

8. Can only speak for me and with a much simpler game but I had better sales number at $1.99 than $2.99.

I'd suggest to take the time to add tips IAPs in the game before releasing which is a staple of many adventure game, will bring you additional income and is not even remotely invasive to players.

9. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Your game looks cool. I'll check it out when I'm done with my game. I'm glad you're not selling it for a dollar.

I don't really know how I can add IAP's to my game at this point. We have a demo ready, but I'm not sure if we're gonna use it. There's a lot of big decisions left to be made!

The 3 dollar price point comes from looking at a bunch of successful adventure games that were priced above 3 dollars. Hector and 1112 come to mind. Again, it might be a bad decision, but we're gonna try.

10. I'd definitely take the time to do it. Your burst of income will be at release, not in 3 months where your players will have mostly moved on unless you have strong staying power (which I wish you). There's got to be a reason as to why it's so often present in adventure game.. must be worth the dev time.

Might be the proper price for the category indeed. Take the time to compare AppAnnie grossing ranks graphics of various adventure games titles/pricing if you haven't already.

Good luck again :)

11. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Good luck with the launch, I know how stressy launch is after a long development time. It's easier to launch 3 month babies you didn't have time to get attached to as much than 3 years of work.

Not my style of game so I can't comment on the content but don't let people talk you out of your intended launch price. 3$ should be fine for that kind of game. It's not a simple puzzle game or endless runner after all.

12. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Thanks. It will be 3$ I may have to have a fire sale if the game tanks, but here's to wishful thinking!

13. Glad to see I wasn't the only one nervous about posting my game as said before I would cut it down a tad bit but it looks amaizing otherwise would love If you could give input about my game its called c.0.ntact and it is a scifi fps rpg...

14. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Thanks! I found your game thread, [thread=184097](c.0.ntact)[/thread] and I'm really impressed. Looks like you're making something really incredible.

Good luck! I'll be following your development.

15. SimianSquared

SimianSquared Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Developer
    England
    LOL this trailer is superb. It's got a deep sense of weird indie genius.

16. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Looks sweet! I can't watch the triler tonight, but I will in the morning! This is an instabuy for me! Gonna be watching this one! Good luck!

17. Com2us|TaoFTW

Com2us|TaoFTW Active Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Game Community Manager
    Menlo Park
    Looks good! Keep up the good work and let us know how you do. :)

18. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Toooooo loooooong aaaaand boooooooring.....
    And I don't event want to start on the music...

What did you smoke when you edited this video? :D

A trailer video shouldn't be longer than one minute IMHO and it should make your audience interested not fall asleep.

19. Wizardo

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    #19 Wizardo, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Thanks everybody. I will be making a shorter trailer.

Therealtrebitsch, I appreciate your comment, but you're wrong about the music. The music is superb. =)

20. Thanks, your game looks simply amazing I think you will do extraordinarily well on the app store and here on the forums...