What a developer's portfolio should look like?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BanzaiTokyo, Aug 14, 2014.

1. BanzaiTokyo

BanzaiTokyo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Hello fellow developers,
    I suppose that many of you are in the same situation as us. You are passionate about making iOS games and apps and hope that one day one of your creations will take off and make you a millionaire. But it doesn't. And time goes by and you need to pay the bills. So you decide to do client work. But how do you find clients? Yeah, that's probably too broad a question...

I want to be more specific. I would like to ask you to take a look at our developer portfolio BanzaiTokyo.com and share your ideas on how to make the presentation more compelling. How to we show our clients that we are skilled and motivated professionals who are capable of developing basically any application if it doesn't require real rocket science knowledge?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Tap To Play

Tap To Play Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Design-wise, it looks good. But you need some more content, the "about" page is a little short, and obviously the blog needs some real posts. But I do like the look and feel!

3. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

I'm not one to criticize other's work but since you asked...

(Note, I'm a game artist)

I feel that your game art is pretty basic and not that colorful. The web template you use is pretty basic and not that colorful. As a result, not much pops on your site. Your code could be the best in the world but people can't see that. All they can see is what's on your site and in game. The games are probably fine but maybe some better art for the banner and a more exciting template and logo would help people get more excited about your company and product. Just my two cents. Best of luck with your company!

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree the About Us page is bad as it just has the default settings from Wordpress

From someone who buys a lot of games i'm disappointed to see the flappy bird game (which 'apparently' isnt another bird game). Seeing cheap clones like that puts me off devs. Again thats just my view, other people might love flappy bird clones but the second i know a devs done a clone of that game i stay away

Its good you have videos of all your games as some websites just have screenshots, have to have videos so its good you've got those.

Worth giving out promo codes here but i would do it via PM so you can try to ask everyone their real feedback about your games. Customer feedback i think is invaluable

5. BanzaiTokyo

BanzaiTokyo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Thank you guys for your comments! Some modifications have been made - I have dropped the blog and updated the about page.
    Any other comments are appreciated!

6. Looks good, you just want to show off what you can do. I'm trying to keep my site updated and fresh/clean looking too. What do you think?
    http://jonathanhirz.com