iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    The in-test in-game chat system seems to work well. Hope we can release this as a mini-update soon.
    I think will be nice to actually speak to your opponent. It will also be a way for you super-experienced players to give some help to new players.

Example: There is one person we often play, high level, who still doesn't know you can pay 2 power to draw a card.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

2. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I can't wait to try the chat, I'm trying to imagine how and where you've placed it on the game. I only found out a couple of weeks ago I could switch elusive cards.

I think now we should recruit some more players who we can play and chat with.

(Shein, WD is a point and click that by the end is genuinely traumatic and I don't know anyone who hasn't cried by the end).

So I'm planning on getting rid of my lost cards now they are inpredictable. Is anyone else? What are you replacing them with?

3. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I know what I'll be using the chat for when playing noobs, I'll be shouting "Press the end turn button!!!!" :rolleyes:

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Omfg we can pay 2 power to draw a card!!!!!
    I'm guessing I just completely forgot we could do that!
    And lol I think I remember seeing the AI do it, and just thought either "hey it's cheating!" Or "ok it must've used a draw type card I didn't see".

Btw that sort of brings me to a point, is there a way to view all the cards in the graveyard (mine and opponents), at once. Currently it seems like you can only see the top card. That's annoying for checking up on the opponents moves like with spells, and also I think there's cards that draw from the graveyard, but it could mean you have to remember what's in there that you might want.

Ps I'm definitely not the high level player steves talking about.

5. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    A graveyard viewer is already on my list of personal wants.
    And incidentally the AI never cheats.
    It will be getting some special cards in future that give it an edge, sometimes a big shiny nasty edge, but it will need these things at later levels to have a fighting chance against the very skilful players out there.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

6. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Looking forward to that, too. Really nice addition!

No idea yet, need to put some serious thought into it, for which I have no time, as usual :)
    Looks like some change of strategy is in order, now that the nasty Lost/TakenUnder combo no longer works with predictable results and at a good power cost.

Will put it on my "think about getting it" list. Sounds interesting, thanks for the feedback.

Nice idea, gets my vote.

7. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Yeah graveyard view. When I put down a stitched gollum and can't remember what was disposed of....

Also when I was new and wanting to check WTH the AI had just pulled on me, it would have helped me learn if I could see what was in the discard pile.

Talbs, send me an invite now you have learnt new skills :)

8. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Lobby is Killing me

So in the past I was speaking to Mike Goblin, maybe here too, about wanting to know if anyone is in the lobby. As you probably all know its kind of frustrating sitting in the lobby looking at the 2mins/1mins/30 seconds waiting time and having no idea if its just you on your lonesome and you wasting your time.

As I think we discussed also, if you try and do something else on your device whilst waiting, then your wait is cancelled.

So I was thinking, and I'm not sure how to put it....

Is there any way of making a waiting system, like being on hold for when the next person joins?

Say I put my name down as on the waiting list (?), then I was able to bugger off and check my email, or play the one player game, then as soon as the next player jumps in, either I get a DingDong noise to tell me someone is in the lobby, or I can be automatically connected to a match with them?

At the moment I resort to having my iPhone waiting in the lobby while I come here or visit angry birds on my iPad, but my battery isn't loving my method.

What do you think? Or can anyone better explain what I mean?

9. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Lobby Wait System

@Cat: That is more or less what I asked for a while ago.
    Unfortunately the answer was that GC does not support that (way to go Apple, welcome to the 21st century!), and that it would require the Goblins to setup and maintain their own server.
    Well, maybe if Spellcraft attracts enough attention over time, we might get that...

I know at least one other indie game that slowly built up speed and is rather successful now: Starbase Orion. But admittedly they have much less competition, they are the best and almost only 4X space game for iOS. But that doesn't mean Spellcraft cannot pull a similar success story. Thumbs up for that, I really hope things go the "SO" way sometime in the future.

10. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I hope we can include something that can show if someone else is waiting for a 2 player game.It is on mike's list of things to do.
    Invite markturnergoblin if anyone wants a game.

11. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Oh no, back to the old goblin server debate! I always get too shy too send invites as I feel like I'm interrupting people.

When we get the messenger system, maybe we can all message new players to come here and say hi, get them involved.

12. UncleGee

UncleGee Member

Jan 8, 2013
    yep, same feelings here about interrupting people. Understand this completely...

13. markturner_goblin

markturner_goblin Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    A new type of card coming in a big update.

Attached Files:

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Nice!

Any more description of this "new type"?

Is it a new faction? Or is it something available to all factions?

And when are you thinking this will be out?

Love the work.

15. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    New Cards!!!!

Can't wait for the new cards and Blue too!!!!:eek::cool:

Still enjoying this app, it is a great card game and the computer AI is an excellent challenge or else I am just not that good.

16. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    They are actually cards that start in play on the side of the AI. They work much like auras do now except you can't blow them up and they effect the game quite considerably.
    They will especially lead to interesting deck design considerations, as beating some of the tougher ones will need some thinking.

With those, the maximum campaign level will be significantly increased too.
    So for those of you already at level 50, you will have a new playground....and the kids in that playground just got a lot meaner....

I want to get these out after the chat system is released(it's finished by the way, subject to improvements and comments of testers)

I will post some examples later.

Steve@ThreeGoblins

17. UncleGee

UncleGee Member

Jan 8, 2013
    chat feature finished AND campaign also on a good way already? Steve, you're already saving my day...and here it's early morning...greetings and thx for 2 great news.

Gee

18. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    can we get any more details on the word big?

19. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    It will contain a whole new set cards for AI use - Power cards (see below) and extend the campaign by 20 or so levels.

(We decided to extend the current campaign and make it more colorful rather than making a new one, as it might upset people who are in mid-progress.)

The new Power cards will be used by the AI from level 20 or so (undecided).
    They sit on the back row and often stay in play for the duration of the game, although some have timers. They can't be removed.

Some of these grant the AI an advantage, which it will needs to stand a fighting chance against very very experienced players. Some change the fight in ways for both players.
    In both cases a player will need to think a bit more about how to beat particular decks that use these new Powers and how best to maximise their effects to their own advantage.

In addition, most Power cards exists with different strength varieties.
    An example of one card that purely benefits the AI:
    Eg Druid's Blessing 1 grants the AI's minions plus 1 health
    Eg Druid's Blessing 2 grants the AI's minions plus 2 health
    Eg Druid's Blessing 3 grants the AI's minions plus 3 health

etc

Especially challenging AI decks might employ 2 or more Power cards.
    Those cards could be the same or different.
    Some of the combos of Power Cards will produce some unexpected challenges too.

Anyways, there will be no learning curve from players' perspective.
    These cards just sit there like auras do now.

Hope that explains it all a bit better
    Steve @ ThreeGoblins

20. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #760 Mack the Knife, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    probably too late now but did you ever consider difficulty settings?

hmm, i don't know if i like the idea of a card i can't maneuver to defeat.