Feedback on a (too?) hard game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by maggiesgames, Dec 23, 2014.

1. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey,

I wonder if anyone would be interested in providing some feedback for a small game I made with a friend?

It's a free and very simple Breakout / Arkanoid / DX-ball type of game with only one single level - but it's very hard.

So it's like an endless runner, where you're supposed to complete as much as you can, however it's not really _endless_, it should be possible to complete the whole thing even though not many will make it.

So, was hoping a few here would like to try it out for a bit and provide an opinion if you think it's too hard? (or too easy)

You can play it on both iOS:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/insaniball/id919199214?mt=8&uo=4

And Android:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digiblip.insaniball&hl=en

Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

2. csk157

csk157 New Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Programmer
    Denmark
    Hey, I have played it for 5-10mins. A few random thoughts:

- It's difficult indeed

- Progressive difficulty based on time or score would be more fun (now it seems the other way around, the more you break, the easier it gets, as you get more space and time to react)

- Traps could show the icon of what they are going to do to you, instead of showing the distracting text label (at the fast pace it really puts you off)

- Seems like a game that you would find with a friend and compete on who gets a higher score for a day or two. So, facebook integration is a good idea.

- Following, on previous point - nothing is keeping player that is not competing with friends motivated to play (maybe rewards, badges, leaderboards could help)

- Amount of ads is fine (they are not getting annoying)

I hope it helps :)

Good luck with your game

3. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    #3 maggiesgames, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Actually it does get harder and harder, much harder. As you set off traps they stack and some tracks traps refill the blocks too, so once you set a off a few it definitely gets harder and harder as you'll eventually end up with a super fast, a tiny tiny paddle and a massively shaking screen. My high score is 62% and it's HARD when you get there...:) Not sure if it's too hard though... I dont think so, but maybe.

I agree with you on the text, noticed that a bit too late. But yeah, you're too focused on keeping your ball alive to have a chance at reading it. Didnt want players to know whats in which trap though before its released, but that might be preferable.

Yeah they idea is to compete vs a friend. And I agree if you're alone you probably it wont keep you interested that long. Thinking of adding game center so you get global leaderboards, and maybe should add some achievements too as you suggested.

Good you're not annoyed by the ads, tried to keep it reasonable but still enough to actually be meaningful.

Thank's for taking your time to give constructive feedback, it's good input!

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    your biggest problem is your screenshots suck.

The video on android helps a little.

It looks too much like a standard breakout game with little to spice it up.

If someone glanced at the screenshots they would just go oh a hard breakout game by making the ball go faster.

5. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    #5 maggiesgames, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    So care to elaborate on why you think they suck? Because the game design suck? Because the text on the screenshots suck? Because they dont explain the game good enough?

What would you think would be better then? The idea is just "a standard breakout game - just super hard". It's obviously not the most ground breaking idea ever. And there's not that much you can do with the screenshots... the game is just one level and it looks like that. So it's basically the text you can use to modify things.

If you didn't like them, what would you suggest to make them better?

There will be a video on iTunes too when they open again after christmas.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Maybe I worded that a little harshly. Sorry.

By "sucked" I meant the 2 points I raised afterwards. I don't really have the solution but I can see that is why people wouldn't download.

I think at the moment graphically it looks like a standard game so perhaps you need to find ways to spice it up graphically.

7. maggiesgames

Oct 10, 2014
    Hehe, thats okay, I know it's not _that_ bad whatever you say:) Graphics dont suck, but I do understand, doesn't exactly scream "Hey I am a really cool game, come download me" either. Guess that something to think about for next game. Focus more on making icon and screenshot (graphics) really look special.

You tried the actual game too? If so, did you think it's too hard?