MOOSE VS. TRAINS : Exactly what it sounds like.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Snowfinch, Jul 1, 2015.

1. #1 Snowfinch, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Updated July 5, 2015 : Added a trailer!

Hello! We're Snowfinch, a couple guys in a basement in Vancouver, Canada. And we're putting the final touches on our very first release ever, MOOSE VS. TRAINS.
    The game is free, with light advertising at the ends of rounds.

[​IMG]

You play a very large and very stupid moose who has decided he can take on oncoming trains. (This is, by the way, an unfortunate real-world occurrence - moose tend to believe they are invincible and will "stand down" locomotives from time to time).

It's a simple game, but addictive, and it's quite challenging to get very far.
    Get far enough and a special mode is engaged... but I won't spoil it :)

MOOSE VS. TRAINS is silly and tongue-in-cheek. It probably won't make anyone rich, but we're rather proud of the level of polish and fun tone and gameplay that came out of our first project. And we're actually finishing it!

Any feedback is appreciated, and thanks for looking!

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Looks fun and funny

3. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Looks good haha, any other environments aside from trees? Maybe cities, deserts, bridges

4. More environments is number one on the to-do list if the game proves popular enough to make it worthwhile. For now, there's plenty of destructive fun in the forest.
    Thanks for the feedback!

5. SOJ

SOJ Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Very interested to see some gameplay.

6. czekoladowa3

czekoladowa3 Active Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Poland
    Do you have any promo video? :)

7. We'll try to put together a gameplay video this weekend. I'll post it here.

8. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    #8 cofunguy, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    I do like trains...so why is the poor moose killing them?? Sounds like there will be an infomercial asking folks to send in a small amount each month to save the trains from such a terrible fate!!

Or in the case of America, keeping Amtrak on the rails!! They have enough problems..so adding one more to the list can't hurt them that much more!!

Before you know it, people will make a movie of Bambi vs Godzilla? Oh wait, there is one. Then how about a sequel?? Again..they made one. Then how about the trilogy...Heh, knew they couldn't!!

9. Melanie

Melanie New Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Game designer
    Canada
    Hello neighbors!

I wish you good luck and I really like your graphic, looks great!
    Melanie from Laurentides, Canada

10. Thanks for all the feedback so far. As promised, we've finished our trailer! Let me know what you think!

YouTube does funny things to colours. The video will either appear a bit washed-out or a bit over-saturated depending on your video card settings. The colours in the banner (top post) are accurate to the game. Hmm... learning many things as we go!

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Fantastic! Does this game have some sort of combo or bonus system when knocking down trees with the train?

12. #12 Snowfinch, Jul 6, 2015
    No... I think from a design standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense given there are a lot of trees and the scoring is intentionally kept low and super simple (1 point per intentionally-destroyed train car).
    I find it challenging to pass 15 or so on a regular basis, but sometimes just get into flow and can pass 100 when I'm really feeling zen. Most others so far seem to have a bit more trouble getting that far, but we haven't had a lot of play-testing on folks that normally play any kind of mobile reflex games, so I'm curious to see the results.

13. #13 Snowfinch, Jul 7, 2015
    The first official release (1.1.2) has been submitted for App Store approval!
    See you all on the flip side!

As always, we're still open to any feedback for future versions.

What I'm really curious about at this moment is exposure. How can we get some eyeballs on our trailer and game? Where are some other good places to post the trailer?
    Is there any contact info for the Apple feature team, such that they're gently made aware of its existence?

Moose found some train cars which wouldn't back down when challenged, and now he is madder than ever.

14. frazermerrick

frazermerrick Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Composer
    England
    This is properly bizarre, I love it :D

You can use the generic [email protected] or [email protected] email addresses, but no doubt those inboxes get flooded! It goes without saying, but all the general marketing tools will help get the trailer seen. Build up a presence on FB/Twitter, your game is certainly unique and then trailer is funny so its definitely easy to watch :) use the hashtag #indiedev on twitter and find the 'indie game developers' group on FB, they're always good places to share what you've been up to!

15. nickthumb

nickthumb Active Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Will the moose get any powerups over time?

16. addictor

addictor Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    intersting look that there is some wired humor involved here

17. dragonballgamer

Jul 8, 2015
    WHY Moose ?
    and why the moose is bigger than the train ?

18. #18 Snowfinch, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Ever seen a moose in person? They're freakin' huge. OK, so this one in particular is a freakishly large mutant.
    Anyway... why not moose? :)
    Actually, we picked moose because they are the only animal aggressive enough to actually try this sort of thing in real life (some bulls literally believe they can take on a train).