Google Analytics

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jogo, Apr 3, 2012.

1. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi,
    I am interested in getting some usage data for my app to know where to improve.
    The GA SDK was easy to import, but I am unsure about this:
    What is the best way to do this?
    Show some Alert?

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Probably should write a super-long disclaimer like all the other companies do and just bury it somewhere in there. ;)

Maybe try a different analytics service too? I'm not sure Google is "your friend" to a lot of people these days. I personally wouldn't want to see their name mentioned in any game I play. Google wants even more of my info? Nope.

Playtomic seems very good.

https://playtomic.com/features

3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Regardless of which service you use I don't think a popup is necessary.

Oops, quoted myself what the %*&?

4. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I tried Playatomic and sadly have to say that it really sucks.
    They do not provide .a and are error-plagued as well (hard crash when a request times out because the assign to error and not self.error while error is a retained property)(there whole memory-mangement seems screwed up a bit, when you initialize the application level singleton with an alloc init call) and this gives no confidence in the rest as well.

Google instead was just a .a and a single .h to include and call. And the serverside looks informative too.

Yeah, popup is probably a bit too direct. At the moment a little footer is in the loadingscreen, which is quite fair I think.