Wrong release day

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WeGotPixels, Oct 17, 2012.

1. WeGotPixels

WeGotPixels Active Member

Hi guys,

this is a really annoying issue...

We released Mathfeud October 16, but Apple lists it as released October 11 (when it was approved for sale).

This made us miss the new releases list, and we did not get any downloads from that list :(

We contacted Apple on the issue but only got some standard email responses back that didn't clarify anything.

Hope this does not happen to anyone else...

- Christian

2. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    The release date for apple is the day your game have been approved by Apple, not the day you've released it.

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Yeah that's why it's so stupid for devs to leave their game sitting in the AppStore for months before actually having it released to the public..stupidest move possible.. No one will look that far back.. Best to try to submit it to have it sort of line up with the date you want to actually release it.

4. WeGotPixels

I did that to have time to send promo codes to review sites. Otherwise that is not possible?

Was not aware that my release day was the the actual release day as I had chosen in iTunes Connect.

And thanks for the support... Jeez..

5. Dragon Game Studio

Dragon Game Studio Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Game Developer
    Bali, Indonesia
    Sorry to hear this happened :(

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the game is awesome. I love the UI and the menus, all the graphics are great! Playing it as we speak :) Gameplay is fun as well.

Good luck with everything, hope it becomes a big success!

6. Dragon Game Studio

Oct 8, 2012
    Game Developer
    Bali, Indonesia
    Btw, are you by any chance the Christian I'm playing against? :p

I saw on your website that one of your crew is called Christian ...

7. WeGotPixels

Haha nice :D
    Yes thats me!
    Also got a account named Mathfeud, so I am playing a lot.

Really glad you like it :)

We got a lot of updates planned, but let me know if there is anything you would like to see in a future update?

And please tell your friends and family to start playing ;)

8. Dragon Game Studio

Oct 8, 2012
    Game Developer
    Bali, Indonesia
    Nice to hear! :D

I will keep playing and let you know if there is anything of value that I think could be added for a future update.

And of course I invited everyone that I play the usual turn-based games with, hopefully they will pick it up as well!

9. z3dd

z3dd Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    So otherwise when I should pitch reviewers if I even dont know if and when Apple aproove my app ?

10. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
  11. WeGotPixels

Sounds fantastic, thank you!

@z3dd - thats exacly my point. You can't set a release date or anything since you don't know when Apple will approve the app.
    Big companies with large marketing budgets don't care about the New release list, but it matters to indies... I think @Snozberry is a non dev that has never had to reach out to press/reviewers and just want games right when they are approved :)

@PixelEnvision, thanks for the link and a good explanation.

12. z3dd

z3dd Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
  13. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I wasn't calling you stupid, I meant the ones that leave it for months, mainly publishers, thinking it'll do them good, when it's usually bad.. Makes it virtually completely unfindable. I'm sure people still would have come across your game it wasn't too much of a difference. But months is shocking, and I've actually seen it done before. It is one of my biggest pet hates. did the review sites review your game before release? They usually take months to respond, so again.. It's a catch 22 situation.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is very wrong.

15. WeGotPixels

I only got a preview at GameZebo and had my PRMac press release posted at a lot of sites (with the upcoming release day).

Have not gotten a single review yet, but hopes that changes soon. Getting a lot of positive feedback in my home country (Denmark), but not anywhere else (since no one knows the app exist).
    Thinking about using a app promotion site at some point, but right now we are working on submitting updates that fixes bugs..

- Christian