a game that appears in the appstore as different names

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kearnel, Oct 19, 2011.

1. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    hey, dunno if this has been talked about on here, i did search, but the game has come out as soo many different names its hard to find it.

so what is up with that game that keeps appearing on the appstore with different names every few months, it was released again as addictive 3d balls, its always £14.99, the description and screenshots are always the same, however the description changes slightly as they change the characters name and such.

why does apple allow this to happen. is it the same person that releases it time and time again, is it some kind of demo from a game creation kit and people think they can be lazy and sell it. but then. why does it have such a high price, surely the developers know nobody will pay that high a price for it.

its just always bugged me, lol

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    There was a single app on the Store a while ago that went up in price by $10 every time someone bought it. I think at about ~$500 Apple pulled it down.

Apple don't "monitor" the market. Think of a riverside street with stalls on either side. Apple would be the overseer that makes sure you don't get sold a bomb with a lit fuse, but it's not their job to go beyond that, or even make sure the product will work to begin with.

3. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    ahhh ok, wonder if anyone has actually bought the game

4. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    I beg to differ

OK, their job is only what they decide themselves, but it should in their own interest to keep the appstore clean.

I would even say they should raise the bar for apps to be accepted. As customers we have to dig through so much low quality stuff that the real gems get lost.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for developers. The ones who release quality apps are easily overlooked and need to waste to much time on marketing. The ones who do the 1000th endless runner with subpar graphics and controls are disappointed as they still think just everything will sell on the appstore.

5. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    i totally agree with u there, i check the appstore everyday and when i think something sounds good, i look at it, and it looks terrible, after seeing some of gp imports earlier stuff, i now just ignore everything they release. as their earlier games seemed to be the same game with a diff background.

thats the real reason i come here. as i can read about good games so i dont miss them

6. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    There are many developers like this... If their App doesn't sell like they expected then they either:
    1. remove it from the store and release it with a new name
    2. constantly keep changing it's name time-by-time

7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle

They could do that, but that makes no sense to them financially, or us as consumers.

Already a lot of great developers are being turned off by Apple and their approval process, and you want it to get worse?

What Apple should do is fix the App Store, clean up interfaces, make a better search (this one especially) and just generally give apps more opportunities to stand out.

What you've described gets dangerously close to selective censorship at worst, or just plain old elitism. ("My app got approved, that must mean I'm a good developer")

People often bring up the argument of great apps being lost within a flood of crap, but I say balls to that. It is no different on other platforms. If you want to get good sales, you need to put in the marketing effort. In fact, this is a lot easier on iOS, since all you have to do is send review sites a promo code and catch their attention.

Anyways, I've gone way off-topic. I'll just say Apple needs to do to the App Store what Steam did for indie games. (other than make them accessible to a huge audience)

8. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    So someone must have paid $490!! Sucker!

9. kearnel

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    i can see that some developers would take it off and try again, but what i dont understand with this 1 specific game is that they put it back at the same price, £14.99, which im guessing is somewhere near $17.99, there problem is the price. the screenshots dont look all that bad. if knocked the price down, it might actually sell