Universal Gunslugs by OrangePixel

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by psj3809, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    :):) thank you...I'm here every Wednesday night....be sure to tip your waitress...

2. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Love it.

3. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm finding the game fun - at least for now. It's different in pace to their other games, but very entertaining.

@orangepascal, the developer:

- What's the point of taking cover behind crates, if the enemy bullets go right past them? Is this a bug?
    - I think I went to the "Gameboy" special stage with a special weapon, but when I came back I had lost it. Is this also a bug?
    - Finally, I noticed that we can totally run out of ammo. What if when we run out of ammo in the main gun, we lose the auto-fire capability and one click = one shot? I find that without ammo you can't really get new ammo, since you can't kill people nor opening crates, or am I missing something?

Overall good fun.

Cheers!

Paulo

4. orangepascal

orangepascal Well-Known Member

- taking cover is mostly cause it looks awesome ;) but will put the enemy-bullet thing on the ToDo list !
    - no bug, you dump your weapons when you go into it (as you noticed the level has no weapons, just head-jumping mario style)
    - don't run out of ammo! You could still kill people if you found a mine, and they might drop a weapon or ammo.. but basic rule: don't run out of ammo

For the people asking how 2-player coop works, check : http://orangepixel.net/gunslugs/coop-mode/

scroll a bit down the page for the iOS ways of doing coop

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hah, that makes sense :)

Maybe my thing with the weapons wasn't clear: I'm not expecting to keep my weapons in the mini-game, but when I get out of it, I expected to have them back.

Is there a reason for that not to happen?

Cheers, and congrats on the release :)

6. orangepascal

Don't think there is a special reason for it.. think it's just how it works right now :D will put it on the other "maybe it should be Todo" list ;)

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Loving this ! I love the manic gameplay, bullets everywhere, the mini games i've started to discover in the rooms etc.

Love the look of the graphics, buttons work very well, well well worth the money. Superb

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It gets a whole lot better in world 2...

While I will agree that World 1 is pretty much a no-thought required, run and gun like a chicken with your head cut off type of world, if you try that tactic in World 2, you're done for.

Aside from the couple of bugs (which have been mentioned here, and others that I've sent to Pascal, but that don't really have any impact on gameplay) - this has got to be a damn near perfect run'n'gun game.

The random level generation, the mini-games (what a great freak'n surprise!), the scoring, explosions, soundtrack (which, BTW, would be great if made available through bandcamp or iTunes!), controls (made even better by the fact that Ravenous released a game on the same day, and have pretty much refused to make their games playable on the iPad)... everything is perfect. I can't say one negative thing about the game. I really can't. =oD

Once you hit World 2 and need to start dodging and actually playing like you have some sense, the difficulty revs up in typical OrangePixel fashion, and is a blast.

I've only sunk about 2 hours into the game so far, but I'm hooked.

I got Riven for iPad last night as well, but I dunno if I'll be able to find much time to play it because of Gunslugs. =oD

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    @orangepascal, is there any chance local Bluetooth multiplayer in between two iOS devices will be implemented?

10. orangepascal

haven't really looked into it.. was first time I did any type of 2 player stuff, and this was the most easy to create ;) It was also mainly created with various consoles/gadgets in mind that are coming this year (like the iosGamedock.com and the Ouya)

so.. I am looking into other multiplayer options, but please don't hold your breath for it !

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    It's ok, this is still an awesome single player game! I just need to have my friend download Joypad and we can try it out, (good thing I still have my old 3rd gen! :p)

12. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Fun game! Made it to the Jungle boss, but didn't last very long. :p

Also, ''DAMN MONKEY GAME'' :D

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hm... Are not meant to be able to re-enter the buildings with the mini-games? I played the GB one, then left, went to get more coins, then couldn't re-enter the building.

Is it on purpose?

Cheers!

14. orangepascal

yea, you can only enter once.. even if you wouldn't play the GB one, and left, you can't return! This makes it a more interesting thing: should you duck into a building quickly, or try grab some more coins and come back incase there is something interesting you need coins for.

(one small bug is there that very rarely allows you to enter a building twice.. be happy when it happens!)

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woh. Just took a whirl at this game and it was pretty impressive. OrangePixel does it again.

16. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks - that makes perfect sense.

I just got to drive a tank - twice - but since I can't jump while in the tank (it exits the tank :( ), I only manage to drive it for a few meters before I hit a place where I need to jump.

Not sure if that's on purpose, once again, but this way I don't get to use the tank's destructive power, a la Metal Slug.

Just curious :)

Also, there's one kind of bonus room, with two platforms and some medikits and bullets that, given that I wanted to jump immediately to the platform, but I start in front of the door, I immediately existed the room. Might be worth looking into something to prevent unwanted exits.

Thanks for it all - having a blast :)

17. orangepascal

also on purpose.. ! :)
    maybe I can add some backfire on the shooting pushing it upwards.. that could be interesting?! (adding it to "idea list")

18. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Best game this week IMO...

Off topic: Any plans to add Game Center to Meganoid 2?

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hah, that could be an idea, but honestly, if it's working as you intended, I wouldn't worry about it. I was expecting the tank to be able to climb a 1-block high thing, but if that wasn't planned, no worries. The backfire could be something, but it might just be too much effort for something that might not add much since it wasn't designed with that in mind. :)

Is the tank destructible by enemies' bullets, or grenades, mines, something? It only makes sense considering to keep using the tank if we have some way to lose it, otherwise we become invincible.

Thank you for the prompt responses!