Can admob give false data?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by willzeng, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I just gave admob a try, 40$ budget a day. Now three days passed and the downloads are 0, 1, 0, seperately. It seems the campaign never launched, but they say there are more than 6,000 clicks already.

Can admob give false data? I cannot think of a second reason. Anyone who also tried admob? Similar experiences?

2. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #2 ThreeCubes, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Well just had a look at you game on the AppStore and the three screenshots you have used seem to only show off your Iap upgrade screen and not gameplay?

It makes it look like you have loads of iaps.

Plus your app description is only one line and there are spelling errors in that.

Before you spend anymore money on ads I think you need to sort out your bad screenshots and description text.

3. Totally irrelevent. Just one day before the campaign, there are two downloads. I'm talking about possible false report, not asking advices on screenshots. (There screenshots are not iap. Some games are not suitable for static screenshots, don't even want to explain that.)

4. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    He means it's likely that people clicked, but did not buy the app, so it's relevant. I highly doubt AdMob would give false data, but I think a lot of ad clicks on mobile are probably just by mistake (at least, I know I 'misclick' on ads quite a bit on my iPhone).

5. There are misclicks, and most people who truly click won't buy it. That's true. But statistically speaking, you can always notice the campaign's running since the conversion rate is kind of stable.

Admob is the reason that I should believe the data, but I cannot explain it.

6. By the way, accroding to the report, the CTR is around 1.7%, which is quite normal. So misclicks only played a trival role.

And I think the screenshots are not the main reason, since people who clicks are attacted by a banner no better than the screenshots.

7. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    With such small download numbers you carnt get any meaningful statistics. Saying that you had 2 downloads the day before and now only one download hence you have seen a drop in sales is statistically unsound.

While your banner ad may have attracted some clicks anyone clicking on it would be put off by your one line description and no gameplay screen shots. They would expect to see more images than what are shown in the banner ad. If you carnt see why that would effect your downloads then There's no helping you.

You asked why after 6000 clicks only 1 sale, either admoblie is lying to you or there is something about your app page that is causing people not to buy.

8. #8 willzeng, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    I didn't say it's a drop in sales. Just to say it has zero effect. And I don't think the screenshots zerofied it. Indeed there are tons of apps that don't use gameplay shots, and people like verbose descriptions to those of simplified are fifty to fifty.

I've used gameplay screenshots before, and I got statics via free sale campaign. The truth is, the idea of what type of screenshots are descisive is just imaginative. (The artwork matters more, though.)

9. ThreeCubes

Oct 13, 2012
    Out of interest what did you banner add look like?

10. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    The banner ads are much better than the screenshots and description. I can understand why you are getting a low conversion rate.

Adverts only bring customers to you. It is the App Store page that makes the sale. You do not show any gameplay screens at all. That should be your first screenshot, and probably your second and third. One explaining your core game mechanic is also useful.

Other apps having poor descriptions and screenshots is not a reason to do it yourself, unless you want your sales to be hampered just as much as theirs will be.

11. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    What he said ^

You have no screenshots of the actual gameplay, and the description text makes no sense - "You never played any game alike." eh? From reading that, I'd assume all text in the game is similarly garbled making tutorials and menus unusable.

I'm not a developer so have no experience of selling in the App Store, but I would imagine that a couple of small changes (putting in screenshots of the gameplay and correcting the App description) would really help your sales.

12. All of above are based on guessing, really. I'm pretty sure even with a title screenshot there should be signs of a running campaign.

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Bad news are bad news, and nobody likes to hear them, especially about something you've worked really hard on. But digging your heels in isn't going to help you or your sales in the slightest.

I've looked at the page - based on the information there, I wouldn't buy it. I can imagine that in-game when the action sparks up, with lots of flowers opening up, the screen will be full and colorful. Why not take a screenshot of that? Add it as your second and if it looks interesting enough, it should instantly show results.

Why not look into editing your Store description, too?

14. Because for a multitouch match-3 action game, it's really hard to get some good gameplay screenshots (unless I have more than two hands).

Because I once changed the description, someone may believe it's the verbose words that put users off. (I'm the type of avoiding app with verbose descriptions. If the first line fails to tell me what the app really is, I close it.)

Having sad so, I may manage some in-game screenshots for a comparison. But do you really believe there would be a difference? (No offense, but I really think it naive to believe changing some metadata would change the whole picture.)

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    No offence taken, I'd really like to see what works for you.

Since admob says you're getting the ad clicks (let's assume you are) then the problem isn't the banner, it's retaining the customer's attention afterwards (as Moonjump and others may have mentioned). That's where your iTunes page comes in.
    Since the screenshots and descriptions are relatively easy to edit, it couldn't hurt to try, could it?

The description - I don't mean make it go around in circles telling people how great your game is over and over. Reading through it at the moment, it really feels like it was written by someone to whom English isn't their first language. You don't necessarily have to change the content, just the presentation.

Screenshots - can you get someone to help you take the screenshot? Or maybe take one from the emulator?

16. HeliApps

HeliApps Well-Known Member

Actually screenshots are not easy to edit anymore, you have to submit a new binary (this is thanks to all the idiot scammers)

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    That's right, of course. But it still can't be harder than rewriting code, can it?

18. Yes, I'd change the screenshots for better effect, but it's not this thread about. Admob can't give false repots, but a normal campaign cannot achieve zero sales either (no matter what screenshots used). Could admob be gamed by publishers? (So far I don't understand the "bid" yet. Seems like I don't need to increase bid as long as the budget can be spent, but I cannot be sure.)

19. #20 willzeng, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    I just find out. That's really stupid. Now change a screenshot takes a few days.

I made new screenshots, and hoped better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: