Has any game maxed out the a5 chip?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Defiance211, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    the PS vita launches in february and the Tegra 3 chip for android devices has some true horspower. Apple has yet to announce and Ipod touch5g and i will be really disappointed if they release an iphone 5 and ipad 3 with a6 but release ipod with a5. So i was wondering if the a5 chip has been maxed out on certain games like infinity blade 2 and real racing 2, this is just so i can see if getting ps vita is a better decision than an ipod touch5g.

2. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Ps vita would be top end for first 6 months, then it will be obsolete in a year. With hardware, you pretty much need to upgrade every two years (performance doubled)

Console portable gaming is dying. Go mobile!

3. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    In all honesty, if you keep the 4th gen itouch (as i assume you have by your profile, if not then disregard) and get a vita, you'll probly have the best of both worlds, since the 5th gen likely wouldn't bring much new to the table for you. Plus the Vita is locked in as COMING, with a day for it's release (february if I'm right). Apple has NEVER once talked about a 5th gen itouch...so expect a longer wait.

4. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Late 2012.

5. Defiance211

Defiance211 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #5 Defiance211, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    Im not so sure about that, just as apple devices get updates every year, i read an article about the ps vita saying that once the new GPU from ARM(Series6 rogue) is released(which im sure will be before the end of 2012) the ps vita will get an update.

6. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    If ipad3 is going to be retina, then they will need a new chip. That being said, A5 performs as well, if not better than the tegra 3 in the benchmarks so far, it remains to be seen whether that is due to the benchmarkds themselves (favorable to ios) or whether it's due to the A5 being a beast.

7. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    No

I don't think so. I think like most new hardware that it will take time to optimize its performance. Even though games like mc3 and GOF 2hd run into lagging issues, it's not the power that's lacking (for these cases) but the manner in which the code was written/handled.

In time, just like the 3GS and 4, you will see a gradual increase in performance and graphics.

*** Wonder what the a6 will be like?
    Dual core 2.0g
    Quad core 1.2g

Pc wars from the 90's all over again. Screw recycling old stuff on a handheld. Bring holograms already. Or the Mozilla sea breeze thingy.

8. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    That's absolutely correct. As a programmer myself, I don't optimize code unless I need to. it's a waste of time.

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I will probably be killed for this, but I hope IPAD3 is not retina. A lot of processing will go just into generating retina visuals at current graphic detailing levels. As it is, games look great on iPad. I'd rather the additional processing power of IPAD 3 gets spent on textures and polygons and effects instead of additional pixels.

And I am not even sure what will happen to game sizes with a 10 inch retina enabled game.

10. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, if the Vita is going to be your primary device stick with the iTouch 4. If the iTouch was going to be your primary device then iTouch 5 all the way.

Also, I highly doubt the iTouch 5 doesn't have the A6. If anything, I think, Apple will try and sell the iTouch 4 as an iTouch 5 8GB. But I don't see them pulling this same trick twice (but who knows).

Personally, I wish Android had a better gaming community because then I could fully jump ship. As of now, I'm being forced to use two devices. Plus as I've stated in another thread 4.67" is the best display size IMO.

Yeah, from everything I've read, there won't be an iPad with retina display. Pretty much all the analysts seem skeptical because of the needed tech and battery sustainability. But who knows what Apple will surprise us with (good or bad), especially now that the Kindle Fire has come out guns a blazin' and the iPhone 4s is starting to seem quite lackluster.