What do you guys think of the OUYA?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Deewin, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Not really you can hook up a controller up to most Android phones and play basically everything you can even hook a mouse/keyboard up.

I think Ouya are purposefully cutting themselves off to make more profit which makes some sense but ultimately it will probably prevent it from ever taking off in light of the alternatives. Saying that I've no interest in f2p stuff in fact I basicly hate it so the ouya definitely isn't for me .

2. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Mad Catz is coming out with a console for this exact thing, and the restrictions OUYA enforces is something I resonate with more. So every game developer must test and program their game to work with the gamepad so you can't basically get a half hearted attempt on a game that plays poorly because a dev didn't want to optimize it for the console. Most of the games look optimized for 1080p and blown up android games on the big screen won't look so great.

The other big appeal about the console is that OUYA only allows games with a free element allowed in the store, so everything is try before you buy. Everything is risk free and you can either play a game up to a point or have a time limit (one of the games was 1 hour) on how much you play can before you are forced to purchase the app.

Now i've burned through so many IOS apps without being a chance to try them out. It's not so bad for many people because the apps are only around a dollar or so but I've been apps since the app store came out on a regular basis so I finally learned to stop buying everything that looks good and play more of what I already owned. This is why I love the try before you buy element on all OUYA games even though many game developers won't agree with this requirement.

I am a little worried that people will only ever try out free apps and buy very few of them, and/or the OUYA gets littered with "disposable" apps. I basically mean an app was basically quickly put together with little value or fun factor for a quick profit VS the ones that were created out of passion packed with tons of fun gameplay and creativity. I will say though that if I like a game that much, I'll gladly buy the game on my IOS devices too since I got a chance to try it out for free and enjoy them :)

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The ratio of disposable F2P games to worthwhile F2P games has gotta be about 100:1 minimum, so this revelation doesn't excite me very much.

4. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Haha, very funny.