HDMI out and gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Dec 18, 2012.

1. #161 Connector, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    Coolness, welcome to the club!!! Hehe, 4 tvs, you are lucky, though, if you don't have one with stretch or zoom 4x, that would be a shame, since it looks so much better fullscreen. Actually, I can't get myselft playing normal or 2x mode on my tv unless I am 5 ft away from it, since fullscreen stretch or zoom 4x seem soooo much better.

Maybe it's time for another 60" led tv with more modes haha, so you will have 5!

Hey, you got an ipad 4 and an iphone 4s right? Do you have both a lightning adapter and 30 pin? If you have a retina ipad, how do the graphics look compared to iphone retina? You have both an ipad 4 and ipad 2 right? You gotta try ipad retina hdmi, no matter what night might say, hehe... :)

And yes, the controls, you will get used to after awhile. I love playing shmups and dual stick shooters on my tv, but yes, the controls play a little different, so experiment a little with buttons if they are moveable, and the angle or style of use. For example for shmups, I lay it much flatter and use a stylus, so basically my ipad is a huge touch joystick with stylus as the handle. But some games like Street Fighter games with tons of buttons, forget about, they will never play well unless you get a joystick.

I am going to have 3 bluetooth joysticks, an icade core, Gameloft Duo Gamer Joystick, and iphone gamepad joystick. Try the joypad iphone app, it is fun to tinker with.

Let us know how your experiences are, and if you get some interesting screen captures, throw them in here. Good luck, and look forward to hearing from you, and wow, impressed that so many people are seeing my pictures and buying hdmi or apple tv, some people may laugh at me, but I kinda see it as a wave in the future, idevices as consoles. :D

Attached Files:

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Agree with the controls! You need to experiment to see what works. I've found runners with gesture based controls are incredible via hdmi. Pitfall in particular. Also racing games work brilliantly. Anything where you need to press on buttons seem to fall down a little

3. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Yes ive got both ipads but at first I got the 30 pin adapter as my ipad 2 and ipod 4 are only used for gaming now and have their 64 gb chock full of games while I use the ipad 4 for business also so it has only some games in it. But after seeing the ease of use im getting the lighting adapter in the next couple days as its useful not only for gaming.

Does the retina display affects the tv display? I thought it didnt matter as the definition of the tv is lower but you got me interested so ill be sure to check it out.

4. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    What exactly is necessary to do hdmi out gaming on an iPhone 4s? Could someone send me a link for what to buy?

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Why don't you just buy an Apple TV instead? No more wires...

6. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Just an hdmi cable, preferably long so you can sit far enough from the tv and the 30 pin digital av adapter from apple, dunno if third parties make them but thats what I bought and works well enough.

7. Reprinted from a previous post.

Better??? Do you realize that ipad retina resolution is 2048x 1536 and iphone 4s resolution is 960x640??? How the heck can it be even close or better??? Ipad 2 is 1024x768, so even that resolution is better than the iphone.

1080p is 1920x1080, so ipad retina is far far better than 1080p. So ipad retina is downscaled to 1080p. The iphone 4s resolution is far worse, so it has to be upscaled to 1080p. Upscaling is always worse than downscaling.

-------

Ok, that was from a past post, we have never been able to confirm this cause no one in the whole universe has had a lightning hdmi and 30 pin hdmi. I would have loved to have been the first, but My equipment is too old and I still love my ipad 3 no matter the hatez.

Because of the above, ipad retina mirrored games should be much better than an ipad 2 for hdmi. For airplay fullscreen, those maybe the same even with iphones, but I do believe for mirrored games like NFS MW or Tabletop racing it will make a HUGE difference.

Kinda glad you can let us know. Let us know how mirrored games compared with ipad 4 and ipad 2 hdmi. I am really looking forward to your results. Does your ipad 2 hdmi look like this attached screenshot?

Attached Files:

8. Reprinted for studepaber007

Attached Files:

9. Reprinted for info

Attached Files:

10. Lag and there is a noticeable delay in airplay games. Also some are saying that airplay mirroring is at 720p, and hdmi is 1080p.

Nightc1 who has apple tv and hdmi said...

It depends on the game, where the router & AppleTV are and the capabilities of the router. Some games play remarkably well, some are so designed around specific touch inputs that AirPlay is better for showing other people a game. For games made specifically for it like Asphalt 6, it can be heavenly since the screen of the iPhone changes to being a map and continues to be a controller so really there's no need to even look at the phone. Overall racing games seem to be made better over airplay. But yes there can be lag and other issues depending on how weak a network it is and so on.

------

So if one wants wireless the apple tv, but for serious harcore gaming, I would recommend hdmi over apple tv cause of absolutely no lag or noticeable delay. But both basically have the same functions.

Attached Files:

11. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    How long does your battery last when playing some graphic intensive game?

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Maybe a few hours on my 4s. I've not put a ton of consecutive time into it but I did buy an HDMI adapter that has a charging cable built in to circumvent this issue... Though I still need to test if I can get both HDMI and charging working together consistently.

Connector, you mentioned it might be hard to carry around an HDMI adapter. I leave the HDMI cable connected to the TV and leave it at home. the adapter itself fits in my pocket so I can take it to work for the times I want to spend some of my lunch hour gaming on the 28" monitor on my desk. :). Honestly though most of the time I just stick to the small screen, but its nice having the option to go big.

I love the appletv. $99 and it is a nice little Netflix player and it streams content fromitunes on my PC like a champ. It has other features to like listening to Internet radio and so on but for gaming its hard to beat HDMI adapters. They are cheaper and lack the lag that often shows up with AirPlay to the appletv.

13. MeanTuna

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I didnt see any noticeable difference between the image on my ipad or iphone than the one displayed on tv, the iphone games looked at the exact same definition as the ipad 2 ones so that made me think maybe retina display doesnt come into play but as soon as I put my hands on the lighting converter I will compare them to see if theres any difference.

I really havent had much time with the cable so Ive just dabled a lil bit with it so far and the job/wife combo really takes hours of gaming away but I am rather curious to see if theres a noticeable improvement so im hoping in the next couple days to have the chance to get/try it.

Any must play games on hdmi? So far ive found that games that use swipes are a nice fit and im guessing racing games are great too but I have them on my ipad 4.

14. #174 Connector, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    Hmmm....

This is a tough question. One question that I have always had is how much power does hdmi require? It seems like little, but really even to this day, I am unsure.

Apple HDMI adapters have an input where you can plug in your regular idevice power cable into, so it can charge while you play. However, I don't like to plug in the power, cause it gets heavy and cumbersome having two cables attached. So I play my new ipad with the hdmi adapter with hdmi cable only. Which makes it very similar to playing with an ipad with the power cable in. A little bit cumbersome, but not too bad.

I wired my hdmi cable to where I usually sit which is 12 ft from my tv, but leave a little coiled for when I wanna go to my six feet position for portrait games, and when I want my ipad next to my tv as in screenshots. So that is why I recommend a 25 ft hdmi cable.

As for power issues, I still am not sure how much power hdmi uses. Not much though. But usually when I play hdmi, I am usually playing very battery draining games like wild blood or asphalt or real racing, so they take alot of power. So my new ipad probably would last about 5 hours with no charge, which is close to the time even without hdmi, actually, if you turn the ipads screen to lowest brightness (most games ok), I could get probably 7-8 hours.

Or use your power cable and you can play forever with no power issues but it will be become heavier.

One thing to note is that when I use hdmi, I watch tv too. So if some tv show comes on, I plug in power and let it charge, then when I play, I remove the power. Never have had an issue with battery life using it this way. Never played hdmi games for more than 5 hours straight, and if I use hdmi for youtube, movies, or tv (abc app), then it is on my tripod with the power plug plugged in.

Short answer, hdmi probably takes a little power, but you should get some good playing time in and you can charge at the same time that you are using it.

Attached Files:

15. #176 Connector, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Reprinted from the RR3 thread:

X999X asked:

Was there any word on putting Airplay back in? I have to admit, this was my favorite feature as a casual player, and its the only way I played the game.

Timers don't bother me much, I don't sit on the game longer than 10 minutes at a time, but the lack of Airplay does seem like a serious step back.

Attached Files:

16. #177 Connector, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    HDMI out and gaming

List of Recommended HDMI Games that Users Here Liked

Catch the Ark
    Repulze
    Tabletop Racing - Icade
    Penumbear
    Afterburner Climax
    Mikey Shorts - Icade, Joypad
    Real Racing 3
    Reckless Racing 2
    Deathsmiles
    Dariusburst
    Fifa 13
    Virtua Tennis
    Plasma Sky - Icade
    The Other Brothers - Icade
    Blazing Star - Icade
    Metal Slug X - Icade
    Phoenix HD - Icade
    Raiden Legacy - Icade
    Sky Riders - Icade
    Wild Blood - Duo
    Nova 3 - Duo
    Asphalt 7 - Duo
    Modern Combat 3&4 - Duo

Joystick Notations - Icade, Duo (Gameloft), Joypad (Using your iphone as a joystick)

Other interesting threads or articles

Icade Core Modification

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2718199&posted=1#post2718199

Ion Icade Core Customer Support

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2739953&postcount=1546

Will the Icade Core work with Cases?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2740833&postcount=218

Plasma Sky icade code beta testing

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182425&page=36

Some iCade developer Notes

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2786552&postcount=1672

Icade Controller Mappings Thread

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=164399&highlight=Icade

Icade Button Modification

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=106853

Where to buy an icade core joystick in Europe

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2792043&postcount=49

Icade junior

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2789552&postcount=251

Nyko playpad pro joystick (icad supported)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2776271&postcount=1633

Ipega gamepad (icade support)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2770383&postcount=1629

Modern Combat 4 cancels Gameloft Duo Gamer Joystick Support

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2814348&postcount=5380

Watching movies in 1080p on tv

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2793507&postcount=259

Exact Pscience' Endless Runner Guide

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2810170&postcount=17

How to Embed Youtube into your Toucharcade Posts

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2727188&postcount=438

Toucharcade Chatroom - Make Some Friends!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180815

-------

Below is Afterburner Climax on an ipad 3 hdmi, attached is Tabletop Racing.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. #178 Connector, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
    HDMI out and gaming

Originally Posted by syntheticvoid

BTW, Connector, I wanna know what it's like playing on TV! Only a couple more weeks til I'll get to see for myself! =oD

-------

I got some good news for you! Repulze plays GREAT on my bigscreen TV via hdmi. I thought it would because of the 3d like graphics and sense of speed from being a futuristic racer. I use the stretch mode on my tv, so this game plays full screen which makes this game very impressive to see.

In fact, this game is a lot like Need for Speed Most Wanted, the framerates and sense of speed almost seem double that of my new ipad! It is unbelievable! I don't know what causes this change in the perception of speed, but it is something that you would have to see to appreciate. Hdmi TV is AWESOME!

I enjoy playing this game in tilt mode since I am using my ipad only as a joystick, while watching my tv. Usually tilt control affects your vision since your ipad moves around so much, but watching it on the big screen is so amazing. Makes my old xbox look cruddy by comparison, maybe it's the retina graphics, maybe its the hdmi, but man, my xbox did not look like this. I'm enjoying my crazy ipad console much more than I ever enjoyed my xbox.

One interesting note is that usually, I like to dim my ipad to lowest brightness, to not distract my viewing of the TV, but for this game, I prefer my ipad on full brightness, it kind of adds a ice skating reflections effect while playing this game. This is kind of odd, but seeing all the colors and vivid 3d backgrounds, is very much intoxicating.

I have another game called Ion Racer that plays a lot like this game. I never really played that game too much, but wow, that plays good on my TV too! So much so, I played both games for about an hour. I rarely ever played Ion Racer, but it is so much funner playing on tv with tilt control. But Repulze beats it hands down.

I never thought I would like widescreen format for games and prefered 4:3 in the past, but my thinking has changed. Using various modes on my tv like zoom, stretch, panoramic, wide, normal, etc, I can create a different feel to any game, which I can not do on my ipad. But getting that hallway widescreen feel is really warming up to me, especially motion and driving games, where widescreen seems like a perfect match.

Syntheticvoid, you will enjoy the hdmi connector, hopefully you have a retina ipad, so you can see how crisp some of the graphics look on the tv. Movies too look wonderful in 1080p. Even music playing through hdmi plays so great, makes me not even need a stereo.

But the most impressive things are games like Repulze, that feel so much faster framerate wise on the tv. Speed seems almost twice as fast. And the graphics are totally sharp. I was shocked how good many games play on hdmi, and how well a lot play on my tv. True, I have to use stretch mode, but actually even if the view is a little stretched, it looks wonderful for most games. Many iphone only games or bordered games, I use zoom mode.

Like Deathsmiles, I just recently bought it and Raystorm. Until hdmi, I never would have bought an iphone only game. But man, on tv, it doesn't matter! I use zoom mode, and bam, Deathsmiles and Raystorm look just like I was in the arcades, only better cause the tv is so dang big! And I only have a 40 incher, can't imagine how it would look on a 50 incher.

I would have never believed that my ipad could be such an awesome console, but man, with over 6000 games to choose from, it is awesome. Some games that support airplay like Beat Hazard, Asphalt 7, Real racing 2, fifa 13, etc... All use airplay where it is full screen on my tv, and the ipad is used for controls or maps only. It is an incredible experience. Especially Beat Hazard. I used to play it alot on my iphone, but after I got my ipad, kind of stopped. But wow, on hdmi, with volume jacked on my tv, wow, it is AWESOME! The music visualizer effects on a big screen tv are out of this world!

And since we are both fans of shmups and dual sticks, I will be happy to report, that they work great on hdmi. A game I bought because of your recommendations, Alpha Zero, plays oh so awesome as a console game. Using my ipad as a multitouch joystick is just wonderful! And it has awesome 3d graphics! Anything that looks 3d stands out soooo much better on tv. Repulze looks better, but one of the most impressive games is Dariusburst with zoom mode on to get rid of the borders. Wow, Dariusburst looks totally awesome! You will like Mutantstorm too on tv! Only problem is Space Tripper seems to crash on hdmi for me, which is too bad.

A lot of my recent games that I know we both have play awesome on tv. Crumble zone, Mutant Fridge, Ronin, nfs most wanted, crazy taxi, wild blood, Jet set radio, League of Evil 2 with icade (below), etc, play so well. In fact, I just started playing crazy taxi, and man, it plays so much better on my tv than I remember it playing in the arcade or my old xbox, they did a great job with that game.

All the one touch and endless runners play well too. Whale tail, tiny wings hd, ski safari, jetpack joyride, luna bears, blood roofs, etc, wow, they look oh so nice and work wonderfully. Tilt based games work great, especially racing games, Asphalt, NFS, real racing and others, work so great! Using my ipad as a steering wheel is so wonderul, and having a huge tv as my screen has done wonders to my gaming experience.

And this brings me back to Repulze. For only a buck, I feel blessed to have this gem on my ipad and tv. It really looks wonderful on my tv, much like wipeout used to on my consoles of old. I am happy to hear of an update for the tilt sensitivity, cause when I use my ipad as a steering wheel, and crank my tv volume super high, and see my tv streaming the incredible visuals, I look back, and smile.

Repulze, make sure you try it on hdmi tv. You will like it Syntheticvoid, I guarantee you that. Now I'm gonna load on Flashout and AXL, and see how they look on my tv. Look forward to trying out the new control options on flashout. I'll let you know how they play on tv.

I'm not home right now, but I look forward to playing Repulze, Ion Racer, Flashout, and AXL on my tv when I get home. Man, for only a buck, Repulze is way cool. Never realized an ipad could be such a cool console. And Happy early birthday Syntheticvoid, I know my constant praise of hdmi has influenced your bday gift this year. Hope you like it as much as me!

[​IMG]

Interesting Posts

GamePop

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2820860&postcount=343

Connector's Gameloft Duo Gamer Setup

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2820950&postcount=344

Impossible Road is Getting Icade!

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2822115&postcount=103

What are the best icade core games?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2824486#post2824486

Exact Pscience talks about the ipad mini

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2832865&postcount=12429

18. Interesting post by the Developers of the game Pilot's path, which is a full 1080p airplay hdmi game. One of the few 1080p airplay games out there. I really wonder if there will be more in the future cause it must require some horsepower to play 3d games well, doubt even an ipad 4 would run a 3d 1080p game well. I'm hoping by the time ipad 6 comes, that ipad games will be made as console games in mind too.

Attached Files:

19. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    With the PS4 and the wii U having an emphasis on mobile devices, Airplay/HDMI could be a huge plus for developers trying new things to implement on the consoles. We will see:)