(ipad,synth) Novation Launchkey: free while new (don't know how long it will be free)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's by...Novation ;)...ya might have heard of their midi controllers and analogue synths (Nova, Station series, etc.)

Well, this is free for now, but I don't know how long it will last. Ipad only.
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm grabbing this now. You continue to surprise me, thanks for sharing dude.

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Really fun synth to play with. It lacks pretty much everything in terms of any kind of iOS integration like record & ACP, MIDI etc. And no way to make your own patches. Hence the low intro price. But I'm sure it will be updated down the road.

4. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    As Chris has said, it's a very basic synth in the toy stage right now but also shows potential to be very interesting. It sort of combines X/Y pads with Sunrizer's A/B wheel functionality to get quick and interesting variations in one patch. This will be very fun to put into actual workflow once we get ACP, MIDI in and hopefully Audiobus support.

5. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    There's MIDI In and background audio! You can set MIDI in channel from the iOS settings app. Now, in the second screenshot I can see Edit/Save in the Patch loading area... how do we do that?!

Confirmed working virtual MIDI in.

6. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Yea your right. Weird not to make those midi settings available in the app. Haven't figured out how to get the save patch thing to show tho.

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, guys! Promising. Tried it on iPad 4. Sounds pretty good. Nice animated "performance area" with nodes and knobs. Recommended!

8. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's because I usually sleep 2 hours a night and constantly hit up the "new" category in my app apps and in itunes in the music category. BTW, music apps seem to usually launch on thursaday and friday. Not Wednesday. I've got only god only knows how many midi controllers that launched free.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    So much can go wrong with a music app on launch...there's a lot of input/output passing through various channels; connecting with other apps/controllers/computer software/dedicated hardware etc. I wonder if some of these apps are released free with little publicity (Novation's website only mentions, or it did, their midi control app) in order to stress test it a bit. A bit of a public beta, you could say.

10. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    That second screenshot with Edit/Save is gone now, I guess it was a mistake. but hopefully it's a sign of things to come.