Universal Bean Boy!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tysonibele, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tysonibele

tysonibele Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2014
    #1 tysonibele, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Bean Boy is an infiniclimber where your goal is to scale the universe! From humble beginnings on the kitchen floor of a small house, to the moon and beyond.

The gameplay is very simple -- drag your finger to cause Bean Boy to jump in that direction. Collect stars to purchase rocket boosts which blast you into the air. Climb as high as you can without falling!

Right now I'm still working on some of the environments, and a few other things. The game should be out fairly soon, though. I'll post updates about it in this thread.

2. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Here's a little making-of image so you can see how the environments in Bean Boy are made.

The geometry is created in 3ds Max, and then rendered with Vray. Then the lighting and textures are baked out and imported into Unity. Baking all the lighting in means I don't need any lighting within the game, so frame processing time is greatly reduced without sacrificing visual quality. The downside is that baking textures can take a long time.

[​IMG]

3. BigMuddyGames

BigMuddyGames Active Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Canada
    That's neat. I like how he's so squishy and animated. I just want to mush him.

4. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    I have an icon now, as well as a title screen and logo.

The game should be out fairly soon! Still some environment details to work on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    I've now added sounds, music and moving platforms to the game! Let me know what you guys think :)

6. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Good news!

Bean Boy will be out this Thursday :)

7. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    #7 tysonibele, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. TrompoMax

TrompoMax Member

#8 TrompoMax, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Wow, great game!

I just downloaded it, and I really like it. Well done! Is the deformation of the character done programmatically, or is it all animated?

9. tysonibele

Sep 27, 2014
    Hey, glad you like it!

The deformation is a mix of animation and algorithms.

For the downward squishing, I lerp between two custom animated states....one where he's normal, and one where he's fully squished down. I also add a bit of vibration in code. So that one is mostly pre-defined animation.

For pulling off ledges, that's mostly just scaling his rig downwards.

For bouncing/jiggling when he grabs ledges or lands, that's all in code.

10. TrompoMax

TrompoMax Member

Congratulations on the feature!

Hey,

Bean Boy is featured under best new games on the Canadian app store. Congratz!