Game Writer for Hire

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Scragglebeard, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Scragglebeard

Scragglebeard Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Journalist
    California
    #1 Scragglebeard, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    Hello all, my name is Sam Pow. I work as a game journalist at 411mania.com/games, but I'm looking to expand my career toward the area of game writing. I'm currently accepting projects from any developers at no charge for portfolio interests. My expected work would include things such as storyboard/plot development, character/class descriptions, NPC dialogue, etc.

You can contact me with questions about possible positions and experience at [email protected], and see some of my work in journalism at 411mania.com/games. Thank you in advance for any interest.

-Sam Pow

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Why do small dev groups have to pay but big ones not? Having a good project in your portfolio doesnt depend on the size/popularity of a dev group

3. Scragglebeard

Jan 8, 2010
    Journalist
    California
    It very much does. If I put down in my resume that I wrote the dialogue for some RPG that no one has ever heard of, with a devepoer that no one has ever heard of, it will have much less impact and influence than if I had the name of a major game from a recognized developer there. Would you rather hire the guy who made an air hockey app in his basement with a friend, or the guy who programmed Pocket God?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd strangle the guy who programmed Pocket God ;)

5. jmarquiso

jmarquiso Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I would say that there are liability issues with letting someone write for free, whereas small devs don't have the same issue.

6. Scragglebeard

Jan 8, 2010
    Journalist
    California
    Obviously no one is very interested anyway. As of now, I'll write for ANYONE free, for portfolio reasons.

7. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    hahahah! funny! and concurred!