Pocket Planes - Tips and Tricks Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jdragoon19, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    This is a thread for guides and tips on how to be successful at Pocket Planes. Feel free to leave any tips that you want to share to others!

2. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Does anyone have any solid tips to get a PP newbie off the ground? I just started the game last night and some tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dave

3. TheChapKid

TheChapKid Member

Jun 14, 2012
    #3 TheChapKid, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    Layovers spots are useful when trying to get that combo bonus.
    But do not sacrifice profit to ferry people around!

Do not buy planes with Bux, buy the parts and then build the plane. (Saves lots of Bux)

Check events page for anything going on near you. These cities often have many more job opportunities so you can make some decent cash with them. Make sure the city is relatively close to get to for most of your planes, that way you will have more gains than losses.

Try to get a 10m Population city as soon as possible as they will provide a massive amount of jobs.

Upgrading weight decreases the cost of flying slightly, thus increasing the profits. (Depending on how you play, this may be more beneficial than buying speed upgrades)

I hope those help!

4. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Join the #TOUCHAECADE flight crew and do your part during events to receive massive bonuses :D

5. ringswraith

ringswraith Active Member

Sep 19, 2011
    I'm level 7 now, only have a few cities (6?) and seven planes. I still have a few single-capacity planes at this point. Do I get rid of them? Upgrade them?

6. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I'd make sure I have the parts for some new planes, put the single-capacity planes in the Hangar, scrap them, sell those parts, and then build the new planes with the parts you had before.

7. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    could someone post a clear description of what is a layover and how exactly to use it? thanks in advance

8. doobiedoo73

doobiedoo73 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    A layover is when you take a person or cargo only part of the way if your plane is out range to its destination.

So say your person needs to get from Calgary to Atlanta, but your plane can only take it as far as Kansas City, you can leave your cargo in KC and take it the rest of the way with the next flight.

9. juhkil

juhkil Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Alright so for the next event we have to get stuff to casablanca in Africa. I have all my airports in north-west u.s/Canada and i am level 9. What is the best way for me to be able to reach casablanca? Would i have to go up though Greenland since my planes cant travel across the entire ocean? Is it worth it or should i just wait until i am a higher level to participate in events in other continents?

10. spleen1015

spleen1015 Active Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here's what I did.

I opened Casablanca, Cordoba and Lisbon. Then I put one of my planes in the hangar and pulled it back out and put it in Casablanca. So, you don't have to fly your plane there. You pay the Bux to get it out of the Hangar.

11. Kat92

Kat92 New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Upgrade

Hi
    Can someone please tell me how to upgrade a plane please.ive bought Easter island but found that none of my planes have the range to fly there.
    Thanks

12. Avocado

Avocado New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I'd like to know which has higher priority: buying better Airplanes, upgrades, or new airports?

13. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
  14. mmxool

mmxool New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I am on level 11 have 7 cities and 10 planes. Here are some tips I found while I was playing:

- Start on the east coast of North America. The cities are toronto, detroit, montreal etc. Since they are so close together you can get coins and bux early on in the game. I made a mistake of starting in Australia and there is nearly not enough jobs and the distance between cities is too great.

- Expand to a red city (10 million) to get heaps of jobs like from north american can expand to dallas and then mexico city. The jobs will give more coins.

- Use layovers to your advantage. I had planes ferry passengers/cargo to a central hub like toronto. Then when you do jobs out of toronto you can easily get 25% bonus by filling your plane. Use this method to do jobs between toronto and dallas for example.

- Do not buy planes, buy parts instead.

- Always take a bux job they are worth 500 coins each.

- Stick with Kangaroo planes early game avoid Birchcraft (and mohawks to a lesser extent) they cost more to run.

- Try and get 25% bonus on each trip.

15. Meegley

Meegley New Member

Jun 30, 2012
    #15 Meegley, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    Any advice?

Hi All, I have read many threads to work out how to maximise profit and bux, but am not doing very well so any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated...
    I have NY, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, San Fran, Mexico City, Lima, Recife, Lagos, Riyadh, Ahmedabad, Osaka, Hong Kong, Singapore and Jakarta. Have just closed San Jose as I have done 160+ jobs there and Melbourne. My fleet is 5 Pearjets, 5 Birchcraft and A kangaroo which was doing hops into San Jose.. I have 42 k and 11 bux... Should I sacrifice profit to fly a multi stop route to get bux ie Mexico City to Jakarta with a 7 bux time machine which gives neg profit each leg, (picking up new fares in each when possible) or only fly with a full plane to one destination and get the 25% bonus ( where bux are just a happy coincidence) .. My average daily rev is 145k...
    TIA from all the experts I have been reading about... If I appear to have spent lots it is thanks to after one of the last events, getting paid for it about seven times!

16. Skillbo

Skillbo New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    How do find out my game centre Id so I can add friends?

17. waltersguy

waltersguy New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Advice

Hey guys,

I would like some advice on aircraft upgrading. Currently I am a level 16 airline. I currently own 11 planes in my fleet, going for my 12th.

I am currently in control of the North American and South American region, with all blue and red airports minus LA, Monterrey, Recife, Salvador, Rio, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, and Santiago.

I am upgrading my fleet and hangaring outdated aircraft. I am stuck at a particular point in choosing which aircraft to go with at this point: Kangaroo or Birchcraft? I heard that Kangaroo is good to go with and cheaper to buy in the way of parts, and Birchcraft should be avoided due to being expensive to operate, but Birchcraft will reach a good chunk of South American Cities (Lima to Recife for example) that the Kangaroo will not.

Any advice at which of these two aircraft would be more advantageous to go with at this point in time? Thanks.

18. Severitas

Severitas New Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Pocket Planes discussion

First I would like to say hi to everyone, I am actually an android user, but it appears that we android users can join the same flight crews as the iphone users.

I am currently level 18.

I am enjoying participating in the events, although since we are pretty much guaranteed to win at this point, the competition for me is more about trying to place highly in within our own flight crew. (I do hope another flight crew might rise up and at least make it a challenge for us.)

All that being said I do have some thoughts I'd like to bring to the table. As the largest flight crew I would hope we have the largest knowledge base :)

1. Is it worth it to upgrade airports?
    2. What is a good number of airports to have?

In my opinion, while having the additional lay over slots can be nice, so far I am not seeing that big of a jump in the number of jobs available, the only airports I have upgraded so far are 2 class 3 airports. Especially when considering the high cost of upgrading. Meanwhile that cash could be going towards more airports (see below) or airplane slots.

As to more airports, it seems to me, that the more airports I have, it just makes it harder for me to fill up my planes with pass/cargo going to the same place.

What are your thoughts on the best way to go? Large number of airports? Large number of planes? Upgraded airports?

Also if this stuff has been covered somewhere else please let me know I havent seen it.

Lastly, I have 2 of the airship bodies from a couple events ago, did anyone get an extra control or engine they would want to trade?