Universal Mech Pilot - (by Rocking Pocket Games) Universal

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RPGGuy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Looks like an awesome game! Not sure why everyone is so hung up on the IOS requirements--are you going to stay at IOS 5 forever? Whenever you do upgrade then pick this up if you're still interested. Nothing to whine about...

2. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Oh my,the only thing I can do is go forward,tilt the mech's head for aiming and shoot..Not much control and skill involved in this game..It looks very appealing though,sigh..I'm really yearning for a good mech game for my device..

This game is missing a lot of elements..A WHOLE lot...

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Why upgrade to 6.0 when it can cause compatibility problems, and you know that within a few months 6.0.1 or 6.1.0 will be released that addresses the inevitable bugs that got past Apple? That isn't forever. Not to mention the only thing I was looking forward to was a real gps/map solution; however, having seen it in practice, I think I'll stick with my Magellan.

4. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Unfortunately I agree :(
    I want for the buy button when I saw the appealing price and it was a mistake.
    It's another rail shooter and even a buggy one at that!

On the first level I didn't even get the bullets only after restart and died after that cause I couldn't go freaking back so the other mech destroyed me!
    You can go straight and ONLY straight and the joypad is just for turning around.

No free roam no cool missions not as cool graphics as pics show.

You wanted impressions? don't get it! Just don't! I rarely say this but I'd rather have this as a freemuim :(

Hope Bad Piggies tomorrow will make up for it :(

5. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Thanks to those who posted impressions! The graphics look great but the game sounds awful. Such a shame as I'd love a decent mech game on iOS.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I take it this is optional ? Last thing i want to do is spam my accounts with game scores

7. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes, Optional.

@GSJ1977
    Agree it's sad :(
    At least I saved one lost 0.99 soul ;)
    If you want a nice FREE robot (not mech) game:
    http://itunes.apple.com/app/bigbot-smash/id476097452?mt=8

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with this. If this wont run on the Ipad 1 just simply dont list it in the compatible devices.

There doesnt seem to be many (or any) ios6 ONLY games out at the moment so its quite a brave move to do this.

Game looks great but i'm in no rush to update to ios6 yet.

9. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    The game supports multitouch but the harvest button doesn't display properly. You can shoot and harvest at the same time for example. It is a bug that I will fix in the future.

Ammo for different guns are stored in crates around the levels. You'll find sniper ammo when you need it to shoot long range enemies.

Yes the game is on rails, but it gives you more freedom than most because you can choose when to stop or advance, compared to something like Rage where you are constantly moving. It is a grind to level up and you will die a lot. It's like Dark Souls with Mechs :)

10. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    If I put full movement control people would complain it is too complex and twin stick controls suck on iDevices. The game was made on rails for technical reasons too (no physics required on player which slows everything down).
    There is skill involved just not dodging. You have to choose which weapons are most effective on your enemies, manage your ammo (use machine gun on harmless enemies), choose which enemies to engage, when to advance, etc.
    When playing the harder levels in the mission pack you'll be learning to make the most of your weapons.

What elements do you think it's missing?

11. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    What device are you playing on? For iPhone 4 and iPod touch the shadows are turned off so it doesn't look as nice. The recommended devices are iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPhone 4S or later.

12. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
  13. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    if it supports multitouch, why is it that I can't select stop/go while firing, and why does the electro stop pulling in if I press another button? it's not just a visual think with the icon changing; the button basically forgets it's being pressed.

I see now about the ammo...which is a bummer since I should have use that electro to upgrade other things that I can use now.

it's funny you mention rage because I finally got around to playing it like two days ago (and disliked it). at least with that game you weren't just a sitting duck at all times. the enemies can go in and out of cover, but you just sit there with your teeth in your mouth getting shot to hell.

I think that with the slow movement of these mechs (and I do like a slow moving mech sometimes), giving control to the player wouldn't cause problems. it would make the game hella short, though, as there's very little AI to speak of. it's not hard because it's a challenge; it's hard because it's not designed very well.

again, it looks nice. I don't feel ripped off for the buck, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

14. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    People complained about Infinity Blade on rails too. Didn't do too bad :)
    I'm not aware of any other on rails Mech Shooters on any platform so this is something new.

There is strategy in what you upgrade too. It's a good idea to upgrade health, cooldown and lasers at the beginning. From there you can upgrade the more specialized weapons.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Not impressed by the, well, impressions, which is ashame because I feel there is definately a need for a good mech game on the iOS.

But definately agree that using iOS 6.0 isn't going to achieve your desired results in terms of weeding out the devices you want to stop from playing the game. For instance, my iPhone 3GS CAN upgrade to iOS 6.0, but it doesn't sound as if this game would play on it very well if you recommend the 4S and up.

Anyway, regardless, as mentioned several times already, there are many including myself who don't intend to upgrade to 6.0 until we know any issues with it have been resolved and there are previous games that may not work yet on it.

16. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Has anyone tried it on iPad 2 or 3?

17. SeppTB

SeppTB Member

Sep 5, 2012
    That isn't how the app store works, unfortunately. Apple doesn't give developers the ability to just check on/off which devices will run the game, instead you have to flag certain features. This is why sometimes you'll see games say they need a front facing camera even when they in no way do, just because it gets rid of lots of older devices. These days that doesn't work as well, as the iPod 4th Gen has a front camera but doesn't have the RAM to run newer games.

See some of the problems Lili had with its launch (They used the front-facing camera thing to prevent iPad 1, iPhone 3GS and unders from downloading, but the iPod 4th cannot runit).

18. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i have it on the ipad 3. it runs just fine.

19. irowboat

irowboat Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Argh, crepuscular rays (God rays) seem to be spammed off of EVERY spot of blue sky (doesn't happen) and stream off of every building, even though those same buildings cast shadows. (Hint for developers: use the shadows as a guide to where you can actually visualize a ray's delineation, and never show rays coming from other directions than the few brightest light sources.)

20. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    It runs on iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 4G but no dynamic shadows so it's not as pretty. The game engine is called Power Render 7, and was originally a PC engine for 15 years on Direct3D before being ported to IOS.

On IOS the engine has been used in other games such as Puppet Jump, Super Football Kick, Zombies the Last Stand, and more. It has taken about 3 years of tweaks and improvements to get it to this point where it can handle large cities with dynamic lighting and shadows.