One High Score Or Multiple Ones?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kohjingyu, Jan 30, 2011.

1. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hi guys,
    In games, do you like one high score for each level, or something like 5 for each level? Cause in my opinion, no one really looks at the scores after one, and big games like Angry Birds only have one per level too (please correct me if i'm wrong :))

Just wondering.

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    one per level

3. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    One per level is enough.

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Personally, I don't even like one per level if the number of levels is high. A pet peeve of mine is when developers have a leaderboard for every combination of level/difficulty/setting possible. I mean, imagine if you had a game with 20 levels, 4 difficulties, plus 1-2 binary settings, you'd end up with 160 or 320 leaderboards. I'm of the opinion that anything more than 10 is superfluous, and I'd really prefer more like 5. I understand that for certain games, this is not possible. But there are many ways in which one can consolidate leaderboards. For example, if you have an easy/medium/hard difficulty, you could rank them all together and scale the points such that the top scores will be from those beating hard, while still allowing those playing easy to have a score listed. Or for some games, you could have a leaderboard that ranks the total score of all the levels, rather than having separate ones for each. Like I said though, this is just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are some people that like having them all separate.