Most surprisingly good game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Camzy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    What is the most suprisingly good game you got?

Archibald's Adventures and Orions: Legend of Wizards are mine.

2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    for me it's BBQ Pro

3. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Let's Golf. Didn't expect much from it but was pleasantly surprised with my $.99 purchase.

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I would have to say Edge. Only because the game doesn't look so impressive by the screenshots, but when you get to playing it it's a really good game.

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

I would have to say peggle for me cos I couldn't figure out what's so great about it. Now I do :)

6. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I still can't. I want to like it, but it (like Bejeweled) bores me.

7. Indii

Indii Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Konstanz
    California Goldrush is very addicting and fun. And I wasn't expecting much, because the developer's (Digital Chocolate) other games are rather weak and boring.

8. JesusChrist

JesusChrist Member

May 19, 2009
    SFV
    Tiki towers. That's a nice little gem for a buck.

9. Veratek

Veratek Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    VERATEkĀ®
    washington
    Dropship impressed the hell out of me today. I had tried the lite version way back, and this game has been around forever, but i never thought it was great.

Once you start flying through the bigger levels, and you get to see the sweeping perspective shifts..I don't know how you can't be a fan after that. Gorgeous vector graphics, tons of levels, flawless controls..If you still don't know about Dropship, don't hesitate.

10. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Sway. I normally suck at platformers and cosequently don't like them much, but I became totally hooked on it. There is just something that I really enjoy about the game mechanic.

Flight of the Amazon Queen - never played point and click adventures before, downloaded it when it briefly appeared for free and couldn't let go until I finished it. Now playing "Sam and Max Season One" on PC and eyeing other P&C games ;)!

11. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, I'm the same. I was like why does everyone go so gaga over Peggle, it actually looks almost dumb! Then you play it and realize it's one of the best things in the world, I can't not smile everytime you're going for your last peg and the slow mo and awesome music kick in, and crap starts flashing and exploding. Amazing stuff indeed, but one of those things I think you have to actually play to appreciate.
    I would say if you're bored with Bejeweled, like I am as well, give Gemmed a shot if you haven't already. It's the best match 3 IMO, and has enough of a twist that it got me interested in the genre again. Now, I can't imagine any other match 3 coming close to taking Gemmed's place.

As for my personal most surprising awesome game, I think I'd go with NanoFighter. It looked just like your average top down shooter, and I actually passed over it a FEW different times after it initially came out. But Dogmeat wrote a really great review for it, and I ended up buying it for a buck. Maybe the best dollar I've ever spent, it's one of those games that I can't stop playing. Once my games over, I just turn right around and start over from level 1. And when I'm not playing games, I'm at work or some other stupid stuff, I find myself THINKING about playing it. It's truly an addiction that I didn't expect, but I am pleased with!

12. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

Pocketpop Revenge is really fun and addicting, but nobody knows about it.

13. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #13 Booch138, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    I'm right there with you man. When I first purchased it, I instantly regretted it. I don't know what it was, but it didn't sit right with me. I guess it just wasn't what I expected. Then like 5 days later, I went back just to give it another shot, played through a few more levels, and was hooked. Everything passed lvl7 is a effin blast. Plus my last name is on some of the little guys you have to rescue (Cabello) and that is the first time I have ever seen my last name used in any game what-so-ever. ;)

Other than that I would have to say Castle of Magic. I knew it was probably going to be decent, but I never imagined it to be as fun as it actually is. It's the first game that I picked up in a while that got me playing it over and over and over on end. I would suggest either of these products.

-Booch138

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Bionic Surfer -- way deeper and varied action-platformer than you would expect with such a silly name. An incredible value at $.99.

GI Joyride (RIP) -- Could have been a one-joke title, but it managed to charm with its crazy attention to detail and sick sense of humor. Too bad that Trapdoor collapsed (no pun intended): this was a game that had fantastic potential. Definitely worth getting before it disappears forever(?) from the App Store.

15. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
  16. Tipop

Tipop Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    "Defender Chronicles" is my current favorite game. I can't stop.

It's a tower defense game, but with a few twists. First, you play vertically rather than overhead. Second, your towers are "guilds" where soldiers, archers, wizards, etcetera stand around and attack the enemies as they pass. (Sort of like Dungeon Defense.)

Third, and this is the biggest difference, it's got RPG elements. Your "Hero" gets XP for each completed scenario, and as he levels up and buys gear, he becomes a better leader. You can spend skill points on things like Bowman Commander (to make your archers better) or Combat (to make your "Hero" fight better... he's the guy at the end who defends the gate if any enemies get past the other towers.)

It's the RPG element that keeps bringing me back. Trying to level up a little more, trying to get that legendary crown from the store, that sort of thing. Plus there are supposed to be new maps on a weekly basis, once Apple starts approving the updates.

17. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    There are a couple of these.

Surprises:
    Theseus- Extremely polished and the most challenging puzzles I've ever faced
    GL Golf- Looks mediocre but plays amazing and so much content
    Ball Fill- Very simple looking but very fun
    Drop7- Was unimpressed until I played the lite... it's incredible
    Paper Toss- The definition of simple but addicting

And some disappointments while we are on the subject:
    Bugdom 2- Makes me nauseous for some reason (no kidding)
    Enigmo- Lot's of hype, but I enjoyed it more on my mac
    Shaky Summit- Screens looked amazing but was disappointed by the gameplay

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hrmmmmm, you guys got me thinking. I bought Dropship when Rolando first came out, cause they were hyping it up and it was getting stellar reviews from pretty much everywhere. And it was only $1, so I figured why not. I've tried it probably 5 times, and can never seem to get into it. I think the controls work well, and the graphics are neat. It just wasn't fun or something. But admittedly I never got past level 3 or 4. Sooooo, I'm thinking of giving it another shot cause of you guys, and trying to get a little deeper into it and see if my opinion changes. Might as well, I mean, I already own it. :)
    VERY good call! RIP sweet prince, I'll never forget you!

19. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Probably Buster Boy, I got it from a promo code off this site, didn't expect much, but found a pick up and play gem.

20. Delirium211

Delirium211 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Here are the ones I didnt expect much but really liked them a lot. I didnt include the games that I knew were good from the start:

Must.Eat.Birds
    Emergency Dangerous: Firefighter
    I Dig It
    The Wars
    Strongholds
    Ancient Tribe
    Ragdoll Blaster
    iShift
    Besiegement
    IronSight
    GI JoyRide