Universal DARIUSBURST SP [by TAITO]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #181 eev, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    gc is Temka and i would not say leaderboards are empty, there are more than 3k users for H and 16k for overall score.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    There have been some of my favorite shooters ever mentioned throughout this thread. Delta and Final are absolutely fantastic. G-Darius, if I haven't already said it enough, is just beyond words amazing. And Einhander is a game that often gets overlooked, but is excellent. We also can't forget Pulstar for the Neo-Geo, which is another underrated masterpiece. There is nothing quite so beautiful as a slow paced, finely crafted horizontal shooter.

If I could get updated versions of these titles on my 4S, I would consider cutting off my pinky toe :eek:

I don't have too much money to spend on the AppStore currently and have been DYING for Dariusburst to go on sale. There is no other title I want more.

I do have a question... The graphics obviously look amazing, but are they Retina? I'm not trying to sound stupid because I am assuming they are, but I was just curious.

3. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I hate to be a dick and keep resurrecting this thread, but does anyone know if this game is Retina?

Thank you, Drive Thru.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's not. But it still looks good on a 4S.

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Well, why is it that some new games are coming out being Retina ready and others are not? Especially from a company like Taito, you would think it would be. I have a 4S and leaning towards games that are Retina more and more. It's just too good. But I will say these graphics look good even without it.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's a port of a PSP game, in a niche genre. Taito kept their investment low so they could turn a profit -- that pretty much sums it up. As I said, the game doesn't suffer much for not being retina.

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Thanks for the quick responses! I was thinking to myself after my last post (before you responded) that since it was a port it was not going to be retina. I am also assuming that it costs a lot of money to 'convert' a title from non-retina to retina. I'm relatively new to iPhone gaming (about a year now) and I'm learning as I go.

I think the issue is that I'm spoiled by the games that are retina ready. However, some games are retina (Reckless Racing 1) that I could have sworn was NOT retina, so I guess it comes down to more than just retina for a game to look good.

8. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Taito, Taito, we need a sale, Taito, Taito, we need a sale, For us poor iOS gamers, please don't fail! Taito, Taito, we need a sale :D:D:D

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    What is it with all this gimme a sale talk today? That's like the 5th post with someone saying a game either needs to drop in price or go free...

No offense... Sorry if it came off like that...

But you gotta have some respect for a company that hasn't had a sale in a while when dealing with the AppStore...

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #190 SumoSplash, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Oh, I totally respect the companies that put out a game and don't drop the price right off the bat. And I KNOW that Dariusburst is worth the asking price, even though I haven't played it yet.

I just have no extra money and want this game BADLY :D I was hoping maybe I could get Taito to be the great company they are and maybe slice a dollar or two off ;)

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Have had this on my "to get" list for a while. Well, I got my son into shumps now and HE got it. So, sharing the same account, so did I.

Absolutely awesome game. And despite this disclaimer in the description:

Compatible Devices: iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 / iPod touch (4thgeneration) / iPad 2 / iPad

Seems to work fine on my 3GS.

12. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    i don't get why Japanese ports or games like this one are extremely over priced when games much more fun and with way higher production values cost 99 cents. that's wrong.

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What is more fun and has higher production values? This was a PSP and Arcade release. It's easily one of the best shooters, hell best games, on iOS. Sure there are a few 99 cent gems like Phoenix HD, but anyone who calls themselves a shmup fan and doesn't buy this is just foolish. The game is well worth it's price, and if people on iOS could actually get used to paying fair prices like this, then maybe we'd get more high end games like Dariusburst and less 99 cent garbage like, well almost everything else :p

14. #194 Connector, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    I just bought this game due to praise from thevagrant, Royce, and Syntheticvoid, and I have to say, this is as close to a cave shmup as there is. And this is a very high compliment because I love cave games.

The music rocks, the gameplay is solid, and the bosses are huge and fun.

The graphics are fantastic, and this game plays equally well on my new ipad and iphone 4.

It was refreshing to buy a non-cave shmup that could hold its own on my new ipad. And with it, I bought space invaders infinite gene which was awesome too. Sure, they both were kind of high cost relatively, but I love good shmups and dual stick shooters.

So thanks Taito for the awesome games, too bad raystorm isn't universal, cause I would have loved that. Maybe if it comes on sale, I'll get that too someday.

Dariusburst rocks. I love the Japanesey techno music, it really adds to the mood of the game. And I love the fact that it is side scrolling shooter.

15. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    #195 GasparZizou, Jul 9, 2012
    i don't mean to offend, it's just my opinion, but you asked me what's more fun and has higher production values? well, here's my list, it includes all genres:

Pretty much any Madfinger games:
    Shadowgun
    Dead trigger
    Samurai 1 & 2 etc etc.

Infinity blade 1&2

Real Racing.

Most gameloft games. specially FPS games.

all of the above from $0.99 to $5-$7.

just to name some known impressive 3D visual games that surpass this one, in terms of gameplay and production, but there are 2D / 8bit pixel games that are way more fun than this, i tell you by experience cause i own a couple shumps (espgaluda is my fav) but it just doesn't cut it to the games i've mentioned.

paying $10 for these kid of games doesn't guarantee quality, the retail prices don't determine the quality of the final product, that's an old misconception that gamers have to pay relatively high prices to get a good product, developers get very good profit pricing their BIG productions, fun and visually stunning games at $0.99, i understand why small developers have to price their games a little more expensive, because of the low purchase rate of their games, it's more difficult for them to reach the production cost of their games, but big companies? for a simple port that brings no contest to today standards? i just don't get it.

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It's usually the big companies that charge the most.

17. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    well obviously there are some exceptions. but it's not usually.

18. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    It isn't over priced, it is just expensive compared to the typical iOS game. Taito is a God in the shooting world and the Darius series is absolutely tops in the genre. G-Darius is without a doubt one of the most original and overall one of the best playing shooters ever.

19. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Well, Square games are expensive. Cave games are expensive. Ports from other systems in general are expensive. Capcom, SNK and Sega are okay, but not cheap either. Konami is quite generous.

I think pretty much everything I've bought that was made by a company that relies on smartphone gaming was under 5 dollars except for Infinity Blade 2, and a lot of those went free at some point or dropped to a dollar.

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    #200 Royce, Jul 9, 2012
    First of all, you can't compare the download price of games with IAP to an actual buy it and own it game like Dariusburst. Also, this conversation is bound to go nowhere since I think most of the titles you mentioned (particularly Madfinger and Gameloft stuff) is crap :p So obviously our tastes are quite different.

Comparing Dariusbirst to other shmups on iOS, there is little competition other than Cave games which share a high price point. It's a simply brilliant game, and of the three versions (PSP, arcade, and iOS), we got the super deluxe version. It isn't just up to todays standard among shmups, it is today's standard, a port yes but a very recent one. It's really one of the crown jewels of shmups on iOS. If you're not a big shmup guy, then this game is not really meant for you. Just like Cave, they knew they were dealing with a specific small target player base. They priced the game in such a way that all the die hard fans who were dying for a game like this will buy it, the average iOS gamer will pass it by, and they will turn a profit.

BTW, do you actually own this game? Or are you just guessing how much fun it is?