iPhone Games Workshop’s® Talisman® - (by Thumbstar/Nomad Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 14, 2013.

1. funkyflychicken

funkyflychicken Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    The PC Version is 10 bucks, and I believe the full version coming later this year was slightly more when I checked the pre-order.

If impressions are good and the stories are well told, I'd probably go up to 5 bucks. I'd get it now for a buck or so on the PC via that indie bundle, if I cared to play it on the computer. But my PC isn't in the greatest location (it's hardly used, just mainly a media server).

Just a shame they had to split it up. DUnno why they wouldn't just release it as "Talisman" and then put the "original" game in via IAP or something. That way wouldn't be two separate apps installed.

2. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I've also got the PC version that I bought directly from the Talisman guys around Thanksgiving of last year. I assume the iPad version will be more or less identical. It certainly looks the part - the art comes straight from the 4th edition revision of the board game so it looks fantastic.

The single player campaign/quests are surprisingly engaging - having only experienced the standard multiplayer game, many of the ideas for single player quests work pretty well. Sure, I wish it had multiplayer out the gate, but they did a fairly commendable job creating an engaging single player experience.

Of course, that all boils down to how much you care for Talisman. It's definitely a love it or hate it kind of game. For me, it's always been a beer and pretzels type game you spend playing with some friends that don't take things too seriously on a rainy weekend afternoon. You're very much at the mercy of the dice, and often things go as much in your favor as they don't. Frustration (or comedy, depending on your perspective) is frequent, due to never being able to land on just that one space you need to proceed. If you're more of a skill over luck person, you'll probably hate this game. But if you have any interest in the game at all, I'd definitely suggest checking it out if the price is right (and the port pretty much matches the one on PC).

I'll be interested in seeing how they implement multiplayer in the future - playing the physical game in real time with a small group of 4 or 5 people can often take 5 hours easily (re-roll->move->re-roll->move-ad infinitum). That kind of thing doesn't translate well to our 30 second play your turn mentality with today's electronic devices. An Async game could literally take months to complete :)

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Anyone know how much this is going to cost? If Im Counting right that's three yes three gamesworkshop games coming for iOS this year (space hulk, warhammer quest and this)
    It's going to be a great year :D

4. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I will be picking this up day one no matter the price. I still play Dungeons & Dice regularly, so I can't wait for the official release of "Talisman".

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What is Warhammer Quest? Space Hulk set in the Warhammer Fantasy Battles universe?

6. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Pretty much yeah. Check out the board game version online and you'll see its the same kind of setup.
    And it's being made by the guys who did the hunters 1&2 games so it should be brilliant.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really looking forward to this.

I remember back in the early 80's having this boardgame (Damn i wish i could find it at my parents, would be straight on ebay !), with the arrival of home computers in the early 80's more and more friends stopped playing board games BUT i did love Talisman and played this a lot.

I'll be getting this the second it hits the app store, looking forward to it

8. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Ditto. Never played this, ever, as I was never into board games as a kid (not for a lack of desire, but a lack of 'support' in my family) so I'm making up for lost time. This looks so stupidly good that they could charge me a testicle and I would happily give it up.

9. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh man this is so nearly sig worth :D

10. andsoitgoes

Ah damn! So close. That's what I get for only using one testicle.

Why isn't it tomorrow already? =\

11. andsoitgoes

Oh lord.

I just watched this. I am now seriously thinking of rescinding the testicle offer.

12. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I normally play dungeons & dice solo, so the only problem I heard was being very difficult to unlock characters. I will be much happier when the full version is released but this will still be fun to keep me busy until then.

13. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Hadn't heard of Dungeons & Dice before and I see its now pulled from the App Store :/ shame.

I wonder did GW apply pressure or if the dev decided to just finish with it?

14. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow, "the good thing is that playing solo you don't have to wait your turn, the bad everything else"
    Sounds like he doesn't like it :D
    Going by that video I hope it's not expensive and totally flops, I'd like to see the gamesworkshop licence do well.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm still looking forward to trying this later

I never bother with multi player, glad i can play this single player. Seems quite harsh the review !

16. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I'm a little surprised there is no new release thread for the game since it's suppose to release tonight.

17. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Seriously? Is this supposed to be coming tonight?

18. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Release date on the front page of the thread says the release date is Feb. 28th, so I assumed that it would be out tonight unless their going to do a worldwide release tomorrow.

19. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    That's what people have said, but ive seen no indication here, their forums or on Facebook that its dropping today.

20. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Well that's a disappointment but thanks for shedding some light on the situation.