Universal GBA4iOS: GBA Emulator, No Jailbreak needed, but set date before Feb 2014

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 19, 2014.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Gotta hand it to Apple... Man are they frickin' fast.

2. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    So, ios 8.1 cannot play this anymore?

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Apparently not. I didn't have te chance to do it this earlier today and when I went to install it it just said"cannot be downloaded at this time. I wish I kept ios 7...

4. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Interesting. So can someone please confirm if it's no longer downloading on iOS 8.1, or is it only version 8.1.1 that is causing the problems?

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    The game won't play or won't download? (or both?)

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    My already downloaded copy from yesterday won't play anymore. Oh well, good thing I have a DS.

7. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Actually, I tried to download it with 8.1 and then updated to 8.1.1 and it still didn't work.

8. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Mine's still working on 8.0.2

9. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    That was so short-lived, it had me thinking Apple let it slide just long enough to get people to update their phones to the latest OS, then closed it off. Obviously, that's tinfoil hat-level conspiracy theorizing, but here I am with an updated device, and a broken emulator. Apple wins, and I'm back to carrying around another device and game carts with me.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah thats tinfoil hat level conspiracies !

If you want emulators to always work then simply dont update the OS. Dont get me wrong i messed up by updating and now Gridlee doesnt work properly with my iCade (my fault for updating the os for no good reason)

11. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    What's the issue with Gridlee and the iCade with the latest update?

12. Boneman

Boneman New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Help Me!

Hey guys, so I recently got GBA4ios back on my iPhone (jailbroken). I had it a while back, and in case I ever wanted to come back to my Fire Red Pokemon game I made sure to put a save file on my computer. Unfortunately Apple has made so that I can't just drop it back into the app through iTunes, so I've been sitting here for hours trying to find a way to get it back on my phone. The dropbox feature only seems to accept .smg (save state files) so if anyone out there knows how I can get a .smg out of my .sav- you'd save my life right now. Thanks.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Everyone uses iexplorer

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally works fine. It was just a setting for the keyboard you needed to turn off (phew)

15. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I know it's old, but the information in this thread is probably more helpful than the actual gba4ios site!

I was just thinking about this app, and dug out my old 4S to find it still had iOS 7.0 on it. I can't believe I never updated it further, but I'm oh so happy! Anyway, I was able to get gba4ios to install by setting the date back before Feb, 2014, but I can't get Dropbox syncing to work. I'm able to link up the account, but it just says, "Error loading account info" even though I'm able to see my files and stuff if I launch the Dropbox app itself. Without syncing working, you have to turn that off if you want to play any game.

Adding games is tricky too, more so than when they stopped launching that one rom site as the main search page. The default is Google, but that won't load. Yahoo won't load either. Bing works for whatever reason, so you should set the homepage to that. The custom address cause the app to crash every time.

I don't remember which phone I used before, but on the 4S, the games don't run as smooth as I remember, and the sound is choppy. I swear, at the time, this app ran smooth as silk, so who know's what's wrong now.

Does anyone still use this? Is there a better iOS option now?

16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #476 Gwarmaxx, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    i'm still on 4S with iOS 7 and haven't any issues with Dropbox syncing, browser or games smoothness.

have you turn the date back to today?

anyway, the new downloadable version doesn't need the date trick, try that one.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've still got it and play on my iP5/os7.1.2, and I haven't had any issues with anything... But I never used the in-app search/internet option, I always just used Safari and used the 'Open In...' option for .zip files....

=oP

18. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    When I set the date back to today, it said the thing (I forgot what it's called) had expired, so I couldn't open the app. As for the version, I just grabbed the one on the main site (2.1). The first time I tried, it just kept trying to install over and over because I hadn't set the date back far enough. Is there a different version to download?

That's a good idea. I have a 5S too, but I think it's running, at the oldest, iOS 9. If I could downgrade that, it would be ideal... but I'm reading that the oldest you get get back to is 8.4 or so, which means gba4ios still won't work.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'm on iOS 9+ iPhone 6 and I think I got GBA4iOS on emu4ios.net. I think I remember getting it through some service connected to that and paying like $10/yr. I can't find it at the moment, but I upgraded from iOS 8.4 to 9 when MHFU was fixed and I haven't had a problem at all with GBA4iOS. I also didn't have to do the date trick when I installed it initially on iOS 8.4.

EDIT: Correction. I think I got it from iEmulators.com. Worth the money I spent, too.

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    ok, if you can't run that version is because the certification have expired (you can check the expiration date on "Profiles" in your device settings), so now you must redownload a more recent version (not in terms of build but in terms of certif date, in fact the 2.1 is the same that yours, i suppose).
    anyway, if you want you can run also yours deleting the expired profile, let me know if works.
    i've downloaded my version from iOSEmus app (google it), and works like a charm, and without the date trick.