Petition to require login to promo codes area

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by FiloMJ, Oct 8, 2016.

1. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    To avoid lurkers to get all codes without thanking devs or say which code they've taken.

Who is with me?

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I think it makes sense.

3. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    I agree but how will you deal with the people who make accounts, log in, but don't post anything when they take a code?

4. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

Always better than now. Always better than let anyone who doesn't even have an account to grab a code without thanking devs.

This seriously has to stop: for sakes of the forum itself and expecially for the devs.

5. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Honestly, I can't believe how some people can be so ungrateful. Is it really that hard to take a few minutes out of your day to type a quick 'thank you'?

6. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

Exactly.

This solution is better for everyone.

And if you want more: admins can make a rule with a minimum of posts by single user to access the area. But maybe this is too much.

I would be happy at least with login requirement.

At least.

7. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I'm totally with this. Not perfect, but a heck of a lot better than what goes on right now.

8. Stephan0711

Stephan0711 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I'm with you on this, its a no-brainer

9. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    I'd add minimum amount of posts to at least show you're active here, otherwise people will tell friends who will sign up and just grab codes or have been a member for a certain period of time

10. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Just sound like sour grapes to me.

So what if you make it harder for people to get promo codes, there will people who still will get them and not say even thanks and/or write a review.

Remember the developer is giving them out generously and for free (money out of his/her) pocket.

And if you really want the app, why not pay for it and return the favor to the developer.

11. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

You have to say this to lurkers not even registered.

This change has to happen, for the sake of anybody, expecially the devs.

12. jdawg101

jdawg101 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2015
    #12 jdawg101, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    I agree with the login thing.It's really annoying thinking you got a promo code and it turns out some lurker already grabbed it. (IMO I think the minimum post thing is a little bit overkill) (Also sometimes I am not logged in cause I'm on another device that may be public so I just end up taking the code without ask but I do thank them when I get back home. So I think everyone has taken a code without stating they took it at least once or twice in their TouchArcade lifetime.)

13. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #13 Lavender, Oct 11, 2016
    I am sorry, but I do not agree.
    Dev's come here to advertise, and make known their new app. It's not a favor to members.

When a dev posts codes, it's kind of like a contest. You either win it, or you don't. And... if you don't, most apps are very reasonably priced.

When a non-member takes a code, they're still going to tell others about it if they like the game. If the dev wants to guarantee that he gets feedback or that it goes only to members, he can pm the codes. The dev should have the choice.... not us.

People will still whine, beg, & complain over a dollar wether they have to log in or not.

Besides... the issue will still remain. Lurkers will sign up for touch arcade and still take the codes without mention or a thank you. Personally, I would prefer to not have those lurkers be members of this community.... Especially if they keep breaking the TA forum rules. Becoming members is not going to make lurkers automatically care about those who miss out on a code worth a dollar or two.

14. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    #14 FiloMJ, Oct 11, 2016

I can agree with you with the PM from the dev if he want to ensure that he'll got a feedback.

But I can't agree with the login that won't stop lurkers, it would be a deterrent that is NECESSARY for that area to have a sense, imho, and not in my only opinion.

I hadn't ask necessarily for a minimum number of post (also if it would be better) but only to require a login, to give this forum an identity. I'm not worried about lurkers that will make an account, also because it's possible to create a rule to give admin permission to ACCEPT request of joining the community.

Anyway, also if these words won't change anything, I'm ok with the login requirement.

If this is a democracy the people will chose.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Err...

This argument has been made on and off for eight years now. You're not entitled to promo codes just like people who take promo codes aren't obligated to post thanking the developer. If they wanted promo codes to go to specific people, they'd send them via PM. Devs who post codes here just want people playing their games, they don't care who they go to. (Again, if they did, they'd distribute them differently.)

Most games are free now, or at absolute maximum might cost 99 cents. It's hard for us to get real worked up over who gets a free dollar every once in a while.

16. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

I've understand anything you wrote.

You know, if you think it's better like that... you're the boss so... ok, but at least you have seen how many people think that this change would be useful...

Anyway: your house, your rules ;)

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How is it useful though? That's what I'm trying to understand. The purpose of the promo codes forum is so developers can get people to download their games. It's accomplishing that goal right now, as devs handing out codes don't care if they're going to members, lurkers, people who say thanks, or people who say nothing. If they did, they would distribute them another way. It sounds like you want the purpose of the promo code forum to be "so FiloMJ can get as many free games as possible," which we aren't too interested in doing.

If you want to accomplish that goal, build a positive reputation around here via posting impressions, reviews, and videos. Developers will send you promo codes as a positive influencer in our community- Then you won't have to fight with anyone over promo codes.

18. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male

If you know me, you should know that I'm already that kind of person. I buy premium games, IAP, review, rate and comment games from a lot of time in this forum.

And this is about me, you should get some informations before pointing your finger on someone. This is my suggestion.

As I said before I don't like that lurkers steal all the promo codes without thanking devs. That's it. And I'm not the only one thinking this.

Man, as a moderator/admin or anyone you are you shouldn't search to blame someone you don't know.

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Cmon Eli, I think it's unfair to chastise FiloMJ like that. It's not like he was the only one who thought this was a good idea. You could also give me some of FiloMJ's lashings.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#20 Eli, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    I'm not chastising anyone, people have just been making the "It's not fair because developers aren't being thanked" argument for years now, and it has never made much sense. I've never talked to a developer who ever told me, "You know I used to post promo codes on TouchArcade but I only got thanked for 5 of the 25 I posted, so I'm done there." Again, the entire reason they post codes is to get people to download their game. If the codes are being redeemed, that goal is accomplished.

If you want to thank a developer, buying their game will go significantly farther than notating which promo code you took.