How do app store reviews become "most helpful"?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Monolith, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Anyone know how this works? I mean, as a customer, I never see an option to rate how helpful a particular review is. Is Apple actually reading through every user review and promoting the good ones...?!

2. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Um ... every single review at the App Store ends with "Was this review helpful?" and then side-by-side buttons that say "Yes | No."

3. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Mmm... not for me. I'm accessing the app store on an ipad, maybe thats why?

4. TheDukester

Yes, that's why. The next time you go to the App Store from your PC/Mac, you'll see the voting area at the bottom of every review.

To answer your original question, it appears to be a straight "one point per vote" system. A yes vote equals +1; a minus vote equals -1; the most points is listed as the top review.

(Which, BTW, is why I much prefer to sort them by "most recent"; I've found the alleged "most helpful" reviews to not be very helpful at all).

5. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Ah, cheers. Any idea why the ipad version is feature-limited?

6. TheDukester

LOL — I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, so I really have no idea.

It would seem to be a very natural thing to rate apps using the very device you're going to use them on, wouldn't it?