Universal [Soft Launch CA] Tekken (by Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Crazyboy423, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyboy423

Crazyboy423 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Studdent
    France
    #1 Crazyboy423, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    old soft launch thread

2. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
  3. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Playing it in Canada
    The layout of the game reminds me a lot of Skullgirls of course not exact clone but if you are familiar with Skullgirls as far as the story mode etc you will notice some similarities
    I like it
    I liked Skullgirls and always been a Tekken fan
    So if you want a taste of Tekken just play Skullgirls :)

4. dadiduekappa

dadiduekappa Well-Known Member

Controls? Swipe or buttons?

5. Palanthian

Palanthian Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2016
    #5 Palanthian, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Very exciting to see this come along, I hope the controls hold up on a touch device.

6. Techzamazing

Techzamazing Well-Known Member

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Traditional fighter (Street Fighter IV Champion Edition, Soul Calibur for iOS, Kinetic Damage) or a simplified swipe-brawler a la Injustice, Marvel, Skullgirls, etc?

8. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    this is a simplified brawler as you put it, like injustice etc. People complaining about the cards, they are just in place of Specials 123. Otherwise its tap, swipe, hold exactly like IJ. Been a massive Tekken fan until T4, so gonna try this for some time.
    Cant comment in Iaps etc yet, hopefully they will be at IJ / MK levels and not worse (IJ2,Skullgirls)

9. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Finally, we can play a tap swipe app with a Tekken skin and character levels with elemental attributes and card shards attached to RNG crystals and skill points for skill trees and a dual currency system. Don't forget to buy potions for your heroes, because once they run out of stamina, you'll just have to sit there and wait! Do you have any idea how much it absolutely devastates me to see Tekken looking this good in motion on my phone, but to have it be the most generic morally dubious freemium tapper in disguise fighter instead of the real deal? I'm living in some sort of cruel bizarro joke world you'd see in a cartoon, but it's real life.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yeah, while the prospect of seeing something that resembles a console fighter on my phone screen is hard tor resist, I think I’m out for this one. Not only for the simplified controls and mechanics, but also since the emphasis on grind-based progression and upgrading is anathema to skill-based play and balanced difficulty. (In a game where progression is the primary driver of IAP sales and profit, there is a constant incentive for the developer to artificially inflate challenge levels.)

Thanks for the explanation, though! As far as swipe-brawlers go, this seems to be right up there with the best.

11. iosomfg

iosomfg Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2014
    It is really difficult from the start but I love it :) (As all Tekkens)

12. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    No loot boxes? What a bummer!

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hurf blurf free to play games have been around for a decade now but I still like to complain about every single one instead of doing literally anything else more productive with my time.

14. DrlRage

DrlRage Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2012
    #14 DrlRage, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    They ruined the dream of Tekken on mobile. They messed up before with Tekken Card Tournament and now this. They chose swipe controls! It would be fine if it wasn't a Tekken game! Wtf Namco. Even greedy/lazy Capcom got the controls right on mobile :D What's your excuse?

Just don't release this Frankenstein, save face and port Tekken Tag Tournament or Tekken 5 with buttons. I'll even take Death By Degrees or the Eddy Gordo Buttonsmash Simulator Match 3 game that you've probably already drafted. Get the controls right or save yourself the trouble and fire your entire mobile department and let someone else do ports for your core. Tekken wasn't made to be as a F2P cash-grab, so if you're gonna pimp your franchise out, at least make it fun to play. Talk to your core players, Bandai! Don't forget your roots, Namco! Just give us the game on mobile without tainting it with crappy copycat controls and over-grindy gameplay.

15. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #15 nodoctors, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    I feel like I made that post over a year ago, but what's crazy is that it is not an exaggeration whatsoever. Everything that I listed is what is in the game. It's one thing to put out a f2p variation of a game, it's another to throw in literally every freemium mechanic and monetization loop on the planet while stripping away every important gameplay mechanic that is core to the identity of the title. As a fan of Tekken since the original, and the greater fighting game scene as a whole, this one hurt a little.

Nice callback to Death By Degrees btw lol I think I may still have a copy in the closet. That was a pretty expensive demo for Tekken 5 I must say. And that was back when zooming in and doing the x-ray of a dude's skeleton breaking was fresh and exciting. Anybody here remember Fight Club The Game? That's right you don't.

edit

I haven't been posting as much lately but did they take avatars away from senior members or something? What happened there? It won't even let me set one anymore. Shame too, this is the last of the forums I visit where avatars are even a thing.