Universal Dream of Pixels - (by Dawn of Play)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DawnOfPlay

DawnOfPlay Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Ok, this is it, the deadline for any new puzzles submissions is Sunday 23:59, December 3rd.

We have a special, professional & completely objective committee, standing by and looking forward to your puzzles!
    They will take a look at ALL of the puzzle you guys create, test them out, and decide whether to include them in the next update or not. Hope not to disappoint you if your puzzle doesn't get selected, but remember - it's not your puzzle, it's us! We'll be the ones that are not compatible with your beautifully smart creations, not you - you are perfect, just the way you are! :)

Which brings me to: your puzzles have better chances of being selected if they fit more into the gaps from this puzzle funnel:

[​IMG]

For example, if your puzzle is in the easy-medium difficulty range, especially just a bit easier then the Fez puzzle, or, also, to bridge the second gap: just a bit easier than the Infinity puzzle - this is it, you are spot on!

Also - can you guess what all we'll be updating Dream of Pixels with? :)

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    iPhone 5 support?
    (If its already there I don't have an iPhone 5 so I wouldn't know)

3. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    It's there! :)

It's a good question, though, and I should explain how it works, as player are asking us questions about the advantage on the iPhone 5's taller screen - since there is also only one leaderboard for both iPhone screens.

So thing is that on the iPhone 5 you see more at the bottom of the screen, and the game over white screen fadeout sequence starts when the bottom-most blocks have not yet reached the bottom completely, but already when they're a bit above the bottom of the screen. And on iPhone "regular" screens the game-over sequence starts when the bottom-most blocks already start sinking a bit below the bottom of the screen.

4. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Game of the Year?

Hey, guys, please

DON'T press the big red button!
    ... to vote for Dream of Pixels in the 1st annual App of the Year awards at Slide DB! :)
    http://www.slidedb.com/games/dream-of-pixels

And most certainly DON'T press this big red button here either!
    ... to vote for Dream of Pixels in the Indie of the Year awards at the IndieDB / ModDB!
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/dream-of-pixels

.. and if the game did not convince you or you don't have it yet, could this:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-ios-games-november-2012

-- oh, YEAH! You've seen right:

#1 Dream of Pixels
    #2 Angry Birds Star Wars

:D :D :D

Ok, and so what if metacritic says that Dream of Pixels is better than Angry Birds Star Wars?

Well, I don't know, you tell me! :D

5. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Puzzles?

Hey,

there is still some time to edit and upload some puzzles to be considered for the next update!

We've received dozens of really cool ones already, so you will need to try hard to make it into the next update with your puzzle! :)

Cheers!

6. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Woohoo, so many and so awesome puzzles we just found in our database!

Thanks, guys! Thank you very much, we definitely have a lot of work to do to test them all out and make a nice selection for this next update!

THANK YOU!

7. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I can't wait, the Puzzle section is one of the best thing to relax to before going to sleep. Pretty sure one day I'm just going to end up dreaming about falling blocks.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Quite possibly. This happened to me long time ago when playing Klax. I guess it'll happen with this one sooner or later too :D

9. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks, I bet you will! :)

And if it happens to you during the day (like it does to us :) ), it's even got a name - The Tetris Effect. :)

And, how about this for an early Christmas?

[​IMG]

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've gotten that before. Also, flying through tunnels/rooms like in Descent...

Sorry, no puzzles today, been very busy. :eek:

11. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I voted and just wanna say I made a folder of games never to delete (labeled don't delete) and this is one of them (angry birds Star Wars is another :p) I say best game surely needs a vote

12. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    No worries, hope you had your go - also we'll have a hard time accepting new submissions for this update, but - please, if you ever get a good idea, the puzzle editor is there, waiting, longing even for more puzzles :) - if not for this update, then the next one! :)

13. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Woohoo! That's so good to hear, thanks! :D

14. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    The atmosphere of the game and the way it is,well its amazing :) (how can you beat nightmare)?

15. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
  16. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
  17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    <rant>Doesn't surprise me, Dream of Pixels is better set up for the touch screen. Also they might be grumpy (as a lot of us are) that the "New" Tetris was another app, not an update to "Tetris." that many of us bought. (And the Starbucks codes redeemed copies of "Tetris." despite the graphic on the card...)

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they copied your 'touch-to-drop' mechanism, it's much better than how they implemented it in the "New" Tetris.</rant>

18. This game is much funner to play especially on a touchscreen compared to tetris.

19. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Thanks!

:D Thanks.

Haha, thanks! :D Yeah! That'd be something to post about! :D

Admittedly, they still did a pretty good job at converting Tetris to the touch screen. I mean, way better then the old "Sliding-Finger" Tetris crippling UX.

20. DawnOfPlay

Dec 24, 2010
    Game development studio
    Slovenia
    Ok, we did it, we uploaded the update for approval, this is what's new:

* 40 new puzzles -> 100 puzzles total!
    * Ask friend for help with puzzles!
    * Share an animated solution!

* Gift this game button!
    * Christmas surprise!
    * iCloud sync for unlocked puzzles and modes!
    * Game Center offline mode tweaks - now syncs achievements and scores when coming back online!

* NEW RECORD local high score notification!
    * Solved: iPhone notifications hiding the tetromino - now also shown on the bottom left! (see Settings to turn it off/on)
    * Notifications for achievements are now customized and sliding up from the bottom edge!

* Check for music playing even when just switching to foreground!
    * White screen fade tweaks!
    * "You won!" text in Nightmare on successfully merging all the blocks!
    * No bug fixes - there were no bugs! :D

How about it? Fair enough? Want more?