Zombiewood (Gameloft)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by elisha11230, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Coming Haloween

2. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #2 Rip73, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    Looks like it might be a fun game.
    Has more than a hint of freemium about it though.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    No..

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #4 Rip73, Oct 9, 2012
    Okay, that makes no sense really.
    It might actually have a simple entertainment value.
    And, yeah probably freemium, but that is where the money is made on the App Store these days.
    CSR Racing is the perfect example of that. Despite it being a pointless 10 second hit.

5. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Gameloft is on a mission to make a game for every possible genre. This game will definitely be freemium.

6. Sakayu

Sakayu Member

Oct 9, 2012
    I predict the top tier guns to be 100 dollars of IAP.

7. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    We have tons of good games of this exact same genre (Gun bros) and theme (Free 2 die, upcoming mimigore zombies) for iOS - just to name a few.

Gameloft serisously wants to dominate each and every genre on the iOS. And like others say, this will definitely be another freemium money milking game.

8. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Free or $0.99 or $6.99?

I think it'd be free, but I'm holding out for at least $0.99 as that will make the game very much less dependent on IAPs (like A7).

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Unfortunately that's the opposite of what Gameloft wants.

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Okay, and all that is a bad thing why?

If its a genre that has lots of good games and sells, why wouldn't they want in on it?
    That's simple economics.

And it's perfectly natural for large companies to want to dominate the field they are in. That's what Apple does.

And as I said previously, freemium is where the money is at as proven by CSR Racing alone. 12 million dollars a month earned by a total freemium money hole and mediocre experience. And still it earns.

We haven't seen the game yet so I'm going to reserve judgement till then rather jump on the anti Gameloft bandwagon.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hmm... Gameloft doing a freemium DSS shooter. Im not gonna judge yet.

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    So you're saying that a money milking game (from the consumers point of view) is a good thing...?

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You can see that it's a dual currency system. Definitely freemium. Definitely a pass.

I'm not "jumping on the anti Gameloft bandwagon", I love some of their games, but I abhor their freemium model almost as much as I hate Glu's. I just simply hate freemium Gameloft titles, that is all. A7 most certainly wasn't freemium, but DH3, Six Guns, and that pathetic gangstar 2 clone (clone of a clone, go figure) were. have a feeling this will be a zombie gun bros. Meh. Bring on MC4 and maybe a Gangstar 4.

Attached Files:

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    He's saying (not that I presume to speak for him) that this is common sense economics. If Gameloft (or any company in a capitalist based economic system) sees that a certain segment of the market (in this case dual stick zombie shooters) is doing very well, Gameloft has a huge incentive to go in and get a slice of the pie. If they make a good enough effort, maybe they can dominate that market like they dominate iOS shooters. If anything, it's a wonderful thing because in the end it gives us, the consumers, more games in this supposedly popular genre to choose from.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Exactly what jbruu said.
    I'm not a freemium fan by any means but economic sense is still economic sense.
    Companies, of any shape or form, are not in business to lose money.
    Those that are, are not in business.
    If the typical App Store consumer falls for the CSR Racing money grab, to name but one example of thousands, freemium will continue.

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #16 Rip73, Oct 9, 2012
    And if you'd actually read my post and put aside you're well established anti Gameloft bias,
    you'd see that jbruu interpreted my post correctly.
    If a consumer buys into it, well then people are gonna sell it to em. So from a consumers point of view, it seems to be what a lot of App Store consumers want.

And it is already confirmed as free to play.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I know what you mean and I agree with the whole economy stuff. But F2P titles are not good for consumers. Most of those consumers move from one mainstream game to another mainstream game buying all the possible IAPs - so I'm not sure if they are sure what they want or not. They just follow the herd, like mindless zombies with full pockets of cash. But that's obviously a good thing for the developers that know how to get that money.

Only good thing about is that, as JBRUU said, we get more games to choose from.

18. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    A pay wall is guaranteed with Glu and Gameloft games. Gameloft has the habit of being way more aggressive with their pay walls. (Glu is kinda jumping into that wagon with Blood and Glory II though) not even grinding gets you over that wall in a sensible time.

That said, if it's free, I'll check it out, once I hit the pay wall it's bye bye for that game.

19. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well you're right on that one. F2P is the modern day curse of the App Store.
    In the early days, 9.99 was more of an average price for a decent game than free.
    And I do believe it has downgraded the system dramatically.
    I do have a hope though, because the whole gaming industry across the board is strongly considering f2p the future, that at least some developer with experience finds a balance between free to play and 99.99 dollar iap.
    A form of freemium with pay to unlock to full would suit me best but if games like CSR can continue to generate 12 bloody million a month, the future is bleak.
    The other side is that if developers like Gameloft to continue to develop freemium, the law of averages dictates that there will eventually be a point where a balance occurs.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #20 JBRUU, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    The very fact that GL continues to develop paymium games tells us that there is money to be made there too. Paymium probably isn't going away anytime soon.