Universal Space Junk (by Upside Down Games Limited)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Greg Michael, Sep 24, 2011.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I only WISH the old Vectrex system was this cool (not relying on a screen overlay for its color)! :D

2. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Greg and Ned, thanks for dropping in! I'll be buying this with my next round of purchases on Wednesday; looks very cool.

You guys were involved in making Firepower 2000 / SWIV? LOVE that game. A proper re-imagining on IOS would be amazing.

3. UpsideDownNed

UpsideDownNed Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Swiv

Thanks Caanerud, glad you remember it! SWIV is always at the back of my head, we'd love to go back and revive it - got lots of ideas for it - if all goes well with current projects, it could happen!

4. UpsideDownNed

UpsideDownNed Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Yeah Gormster, it doesn't look like anyone's planning to release a vector based console any time soon, so we had to make our own one up!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving the development team photo you have on Facebook as it is SO CLEARLY a late 70's-early 80's photo (that may have ever so slightly been photoshopped).

6. Greg Michael

Greg Michael Active Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I blame the Art department.

7. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    I just bought this and it is awesome.

That's all! Thanks guys for the brilliant, beautiful game. These graphics pop.

8. coolpowers

coolpowers Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Indie developer
    Coralville / Iowa City
    One of the first I'll be buying as soon as I end my self-imposed AppStore ban :)

The presentation is wonderful. I really dig the whole "this wasn't really a game/platform back then but it totally should have been!", similar to Jeff Minter's current line of games that are based around hardware-enhanced versions of the old platforms, the lovely Master games from xionchannel, or *ahem* my own attempt with breakeroids.

I'd like to think it's something in the water, but I think we're all just getting old :D

9. Blown454

Blown454 Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Holy smokes! If this game doesn't scream from the roof tops for iCade support, no game does! :). Heck, in the demo video the iCade's little brother has his cameo appearance.. I can see myself playing this with a shot of Vertex Blaster before my work day for many months to come! I just love to blow things up before I get to work, ya know :).

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just bought this, i do love my vector looking games !

Really good, does remind me of an old Vectrex game with a coloured overlay on. Really hope they do some remakes of some of the old classics like Galaga/Berzerk etc, would love vector remakes of those.

The games well worth buying

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    This game need icade support!! Or actually I do before buying :D

12. UpsideDownNed

UpsideDownNed Member

Sep 26, 2011
    70's tech!

Gek, the image we've photoshopped there comes from a uk tech-spoof show called "Look Around You" - well worth checking out for a laugh

http://youtu.be/0GThtMAZGYU

13. Samuraipeter

Samuraipeter Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    I love vector graphics and this idea of a 'lost system'. I will be buying this. Being 37, this takes me back to the arcades of my starry-eyed youth. Also Greg, thanks for your work on Alien Trilogy-- I still have fun playing that game!

14. treasurestudio

treasurestudio Well-Known Member

In the next update is there anyway of keeping the game running if a call comes in on the iPhone? Few times now I've been mid way through a good sesh and I lose the game due to a call.

Cheers! :)

15. miiifan

miiifan Well-Known Member

I picked this up and am really enjoying it! This is <i>real</i> retro - it feels like a genuine, classic arcade game, not a throwback. It has a great challenge that isn't frustrating (glad they are generous with the lives) and the bonus levels keep things interesting. Really needs a leaderboard though, so I'm looking forward to Game Center support in an update.

16. treasurestudio

More I play this the more I love it. I think they've nailed it in pretty much every department. Special mention must go to the sound tho. Playing through headphones is sublime... great, great retro sounds and love the single beat music in the background.

17. UpsideDownNed

UpsideDownNed Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks for the very positive comments on Space Junk! Just so I can get this straight with the head coder, are you losing the session cos you're playing on an iPhone and recieving a call on that, or because you're hitting the home button? Whatever it is, you're right, it sounds like a pretty essential thing, so we need to get it right!

ned

18. treasurestudio

Hey Ned,

Yeah whilst playing on the iPhone, a call comes in and the game seems to quit. Even if I decline the call, the games gone. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same?

19. Greg Michael

Greg Michael Active Member

Sep 24, 2011
    I'm looking into this now. One quick fix is to get ALL your friends and everyone you know to buy Space Junk - that way they'll be too busy to call you :)

Ahem....back to work !

20. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Funny :)

Also, is there any way to save your progress and continue the game-in-progress at a later date? Not that the games last too terribly long, but a way to suspend the current game would be nice.