iCade, how important is it to you?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PixelEnvision, Aug 25, 2017.

1. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Hello everyone,

We're working on a new arcade/action game and I wanted to ask how important is the iCade support to you nowadays?

I've search the forum and there were no recent mentions of it, and the compatibility/wishlist thread is inactive for more than a year. I'm not sure if it'll worth the effort (mostly because it has 4 axis stick) and the game will be in landscape mode anyway, if that's something that iCade supports.

So, if you have anything to say, please let me know!

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I still use my original iCade, and my 8BITDO-ZERO has an iCade mode. Not sure how many like me there are though. :)

iCade does just fine with landscape, especially the Core version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about the landscape support. :)

I think I'll end up supporting it along with other MFI controllers, would you be willing to help testing it on iCade when it's time for the beta test?

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sure, just let me know via PM and I'll test with both.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Not important to me at ALL!
    Been there, done that....
    Got rid of it long ago! Never was impressed with the amount of games available for it, and taking my iPad out of its case to put into the icade and back was a big hassle and definitely not worth it for me!! Don't miss it one bit, and I remember at the time thinking I wasted money on that thing! Good riddance!!!! ##

6. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I used mine a few times, but I found the microswitches too bloody loud - and having to dig out a big box of a controller doesn’t really gel with the whole point of gaming on a mobile device for me.

7. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    drelbs, that's great thank you! I'll let you know when the beta is ready.

bigrand1 & dancj, thanks for the input. :) We've decided to support it anyway, as we'll also support Apple TV and we've got directional controls working in a similar way.

8. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    I have exactly the same, only with 2 8bitdo zeros :) I use them from time to time.

9. psj3809_2

psj3809_2 Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I'm stunned how much you dislike it. I've still got mine working with an old ipad.

The iCade was brilliant for three reasons at least !

1 - Atari - Worked great with the atari app which was brilliant
    2 - Vectrex - Being able to play these old classics was a dream

But best of all...

Gridlee (MAME) - For this reason alone you suddenly had your own arcade cabinet.

Well worth the money, i purposely bought an old ipad so i could use it constantly with my iCade (As i think ios8 and above 'broke' how well the icade worked with Gridlee)

10. IceAce

IceAce Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Obviously!

Obviously I'm using icade! I should admit that now the 100% of time I use my 8bitdo zero (icade mode).

For this reason, I buy almost every game support icade.

I'll check yours!