$50 Bonus for Game Center high score

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by muffie, Apr 13, 2011.

1. muffie

muffie Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    Folks,

Let's suppose that I would like to offer 50 USD for the first player that reaches a certain amount of points in one of our games into Gamecenter. Anyone knows how it would be the best way to do it?
    Payment is fine through paypal but:

1) How can I determine if the score is for real and not a fake?
    2) How can I know the exact person responsible for that score?
    3) How can I know who did it first?

Any suggestions?

2. katday

katday Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    this has been an extremely hot topic here.

1) hard to determain really.
    2) see answer 1
    3) think that will also be hard unless its the max points you can score but judging from what your saying thats not the case.

short summary..gamecenter is not the safest way to do a competition.

3. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

1) I don't really know of any way to cheat on Game Center leaderboards, but I suppose if the game doesn't have any cheating style of playing it would be hard/impossible?
    2) You could just host a contest on TA in the Contest board and ask players to post their Game Center ID.
    3) Probably would be next to impossible unless you monitor the leaderboards, unless there's a way to stream info from GC or something.

4. Extol

Extol Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Iso games it's very easy to cheat. Look at GC You see scores way crazy high then the 3rd or 4th be crazy below that one. All it takes is a jailbroke iPhone and some skills edits files to change the score around.

Not sure how u can make someone show that they are on GC maybe a screenshot?

5. muffie

muffie Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    I'm really concerned about jailbroken phones.
    Screenshots can be easily modded. Maybe a video of the user achieving the high score, but I really don't want to make the process too difficult.

6. katday

katday Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    i dont know what your game is about.
    but maybe certain levels have specific themes or some other exclusive
    thing !
    so you can always let the participants send you an email with the level description.

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    katday probably had the best solution, but it either requires forward planning or a super quick update to your game. Just throw in a "congrats" screen at a certain milestone, maybe with a secret password or just an image that's easily described by the user and get people to email/PM you.

Of course all it takes is one person to post the answer here and it's ruined, but you're only awarding the very first person anyway so they probably wouldn't share it out.

8. muffie

muffie Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    Hmmm, but it's not hard to open the .IPA file and extract everything... Not to mention jailbreakers.
    I think I'll have to live with the fact that someone can cheat on it.

Maybe like this:
    1) Starting now
    2) the first person who:
    - Take a shot of the game in pause mode showing the score above X points (using a camera and showing the phone) + Create a small movie of gamecenter showing "ME" with a score above X on the game
    - And mail me, would receive the prize through paypal...

How's that sounds?
    -

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know what you mean about not wanting to make it too complicated for the user, but $50 is a good prize. If they really want it they won't mind working a bit to get it :) Sounds good to me.