ipad game thoughts

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cubytes, Mar 25, 2010.

1. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    here is a random post of my thoughts about games on the ipad

for starters if i was a dev i would be extremely excited about this new opportunity, specifically the increased screen size and horsepower of this device

from a business perspective; its going to take awhile before the ipad catches up to the install base of the iphone/itouch. i dont think it will ever overtake the iphone (stranger things have happened tho) but it might give the itouch a run for its market share, i can totally see the ipad getting pretty close to the itouch in terms of overall sales going forward. however im pretty sure the demographics between the itouch and the ipad will vary greatly and if nothing else flood the idevice ecosystem with lots of new casual users

so for starters i wouldn't build a game for the ipad from the ground up def not a game that appeals to a hardcore gamer, i would build it for the iphone/itouch from the ground up then port it over adding new or exclusive content, unique functionality, ect for the official ipad release

so to reiterate............

i would release on the iphone/itouch first, then release as a native app on the ipad with "added value" dont go the other way around..............

next post im going to discuss thoughts about controls and different ideas for games on the ipad and dive into a more detailed explanation about what i mean when i say "added value"

2. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #2 cubytes, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    i havent held an iPad yet so take all of my ideas/thoughts with a grain of salt...

inputs and gestures for iPad specific games need to be optimized for prominent use of finger not thumb input as i would imagine this to be more comfortable...

ideal gestures that will feel natural for fingers:
    -tapping and double tapping (duh)
    -flicking and/or slideing up and down (like mouse scroll wheel)
    -tap and hold (duh)
    -tap and hold; then select a pop-up hotkey menu option
    -swipes (duh)
    -drawing circles
    -drawing an X
    -drawing a +
    -drawing a circle then tapping in the center
    -tracing on screen characters or shapes and figures
    -line-drawing (duh)
    -dragging and dropping (duh)
    -pulling and releasing objects that have elasticity (rubber-band effect)
    -pinch (duh)
    -walking your pointer and index fingers across the screen or just flicking them down very fast in alternating patterns (in the same relative location on the screen)
    -two finger (swipes, taps, line drawing, shape drawing ect)
    -draw spirals in and out

thats all i could come up with off the top of my head :)

3. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    That may be the way you would do it, but that doesn't seem to be the way major developers like Activision (Geometry Wars) and EA (Mirror's Edge) are doing it.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in the future, once the "new"ness of the iPad has worn off...

4. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    ipad action game

the idea is to take MGS:Touch and Mirror's Edge and fuse them together....

sequences:

1) generic arcade-esque static shooting sequences (like MGS:Touch)

2) Mirror's Edge action puzzle experiences (slightly zoomed out 3rd person perspective in 3D, and static camera angles in 3D environments too)

3) on-rails shooter sequences

4) QTE & slightly interactive; melee fighting sequences

5) boss sequences (dynamic combination sequence)

6) cut scenes

the fun part would be linking all of the above sequences together, into one hell of a roller coaster ride, thats ideal for the iPad and touch driven controls :)

im going to share my thoughts and more details in the next post...

5. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    #5 cubytes, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    tru i think a lot of publishers and devs are going after some short term sales blips rather then actually ADDING real value to the experience. I can understand the interests of trying to maintain a higher price-point on the iPad store but you have to add real value (HD graphics, +new content optimized for the iPad, new modes and unique controls)

otherwise this whole HD iPad branding will begin to feel like nothing more then a sales gimmick to both new customers to the market and old (specifically to customers who loved the iphone game who also just got an iPad and now very much interested in getting the iPad game) and overtime this marketing will lose it's perceived value and thus its effectiveness unless its backed with true value; content and/or graphics bumps and new modes...otherwise the price will be at odds with the perceived value

6. cubytes

Aug 25, 2009
    also if possible......

think of ways to reward your iPhone/iTouch customers with reduced price (for instance) for customers who bought the game on the iPhone/iTouch prior to the official iPad release....

or especially for games that have a social aspect you have their email hit them up let them know that your iPad game is live and if they act within 24hrs they will get a reduced price because they bought the original

just some thoughts......