Universal Growtopia (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Is their anyway that we can report people in the game? Because I was just playing an race/platformer, and there were a few people just punching people into spikes, pretty much ruining it for most people

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Welcome to the game that's most of what they do

3. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Although it can be annoying, griefing isn't against the rules. The devs have stated that such things are inherent to the design. The game embraces the concept of "good" vs "evil" in human nature.

So there is very little black and white in the game, it's a whole lot of grey.

Stuff like that is dealt with very situationally.

But. A moderation system is being worked on, and when that is released there will probably be a slightly more clear set of rules. But since it's part of the twisted, chaotic charm of the game, there is a lot of leniency.

4. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    The more I play the game, the more I see its based on good and evil.
    Someone might raid rooms looking for unprotected loot, people may lunch your tree and harvest your loot, they may punch you into spikes, or lock your own world preventing you to go in and retrieve your stuff (that really sucks!)
    But it's all the name of the game, and a learning experience.
    If you have a world with stuff in it, lock the front door, if you want people to come in, then atleast lock another entrance with a door, because trolls seem to really enjoy locking rooms that aren't there's! One douche went around doing it alot last night, his name was something like Efrat_soft. I feel sorry for the poor buggers that got their rooms locked but hopefully it's a learning experience for them.

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Yea it happen to my old world some idiot locked it lucky me I didn't do anything yet.

6. It's sad that there are people who will do stuff like that, but it's always like this on Online games. These people go on and just make random peoples lifes a misery...it's fine for your friends, not for complete strangers

7. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Ten new items were apparently added. I rechecked all the previous failed combinations of tiers 1-4 and uncovered two of them, both tier 5, which I have added to SEEDIARY: Stone Wall and Lovely Pink Dress

I quite like the stone wall(it's not a background).

I dunno what the other 8 are yet, they appear to be tier 6+ though.

8. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Yeah, unfortunately that's true. I've really tried to like this game and there are certainly aspects of it that I do like, but the fact that it's basically one big chaotic mess with people just punching each other and stealing crap just really puts me off.

9. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Hmm.. I don't quite see it that way, but it's a matter of opinion and point of view I suppose.

I view popular worlds as crazy gatherings with few rules. They're chaotic, but they're interesting.

Would I try to raise trees there without heavily guarding them? Absolutely not. Just like I would not leave something valuable to me sitting out on a random public table where anyone could take it in the real world.

My private world is like my home. It's properly protected and safe. It's where I can go when I need time away from the chaos.

I feel that all non private worlds are like the wilderness, while private worlds are like homes. And some people like to throw very strange chaotic parties in their homes haha.

But! There are thieves in the real world, too. Ones that will break into houses and steal your stuff. If your personal world isn't properly protected, the same fate awaits you in Growtopia.

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    New items in the game.

11. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    I love how they can add new stuff without requiring an update. Makes things easier. Looking forward to seeing the evolution of this game. It's quite brilliant.
    I don't get to play as much as I wish I could. You're absolutely right about the valuables..ppl shouldn't leave their homes unlocked in real life, & they shouldn't do it on Gt either. If you can't afford a lock I'd atleast recommend digging down about 10 blocks and refilling those blocks in, that way the world looks unused/abandoned so the trolls just leave, little do they know, there's delicious trees underground ^_^ also, uncommon names are good for worlds of course.

I think a 50 gem lock is pretty much accessible to everyone. They can just make a box and lock it and drop all your valuables in there. I love the sneakiness of the game. Have to admit I've punched a few trees that weren't mine. It's addictive. Even if it is just a crappy cave background tree, I love watching them fret >.< I am a horrible, horrible person. Thankfully I don't do it much. I'd feel very guilty punching a rare tree. I'd be so bummed if I waited 12 hours for a steel block tree to grow and someone else had harvested it when I got to it!

12. ignold

ignold Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I played it for a couple days, my issue isn't with the game, it's with the anti-collaborative spirit of the community I played with.

If there was a list of restrictions I could put on worlds I make like " no crop stealing or friendly punching I would be more compelled to play this game. I remember when minecraft added the option of user specific chests on the server host options, and that was a big deal on servers that had a lot of players moving logging in.

13. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    I just wrote a simple guide on the official forums for new players that talks about how to use doors and whatnot. Included a section at the end on how to secure a private world using a small lock etc.

Check it out here if interested.

14. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Nice job:)

15. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    The first thing I did on getting the game was make a private world, Javatropolis, in my case. The next thing I did was use iap to buy a world lock. This gave Seth Robinson some of the cash he deserves, and it means I can grow in peace. Right now, I'm very methodically collecting 200 of every seed.

On a side note, four seeds were dispersed through my world last night. Will they persist forever? It was some event. That said, my world is devoid of anything breakable. I totally stripped it dry. I'm hoping I can get to hunting them down later.

16. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    From what I've seen, items do not despawn, so they should remain. My world is pretty much empty too, haha. I have a couple layers of dirt that I replaced at the surface and a small building, some floating rows for planting longer timed seeds etc.

17. Jordanbuzz

Jordanbuzz Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2011
    If I bought a lock, can anyone destroy it?

18. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Only the person that placed the lock or staff can destroy locks.

And locks always drop when destroyed. Keep in mind, though, that when a lock is reverted to item form, anyone can pick it up. So be careful when breaking a lock when others are around.

19. Seth A Robinson

Seth A Robinson Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Yep, all items are persistent forever. (People using the 'Recycler' to turn them into gems is the only reason worlds aren't a heap of dirt laying around)

20. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Haha it drives me insane when I see amazing things people have built that have random dirt seeds and stuff still floating inside of blocks >.< I couldn't stand it, I would have to make sure there are no trapped items like that x.x