Freemium or not to Freemium that is the question.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by thedollarhunter, Oct 2, 2011.

1. thedollarhunter

thedollarhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    London
    Thanks to everyone who sent me feedback last week, much appreciated.

Yes the next version will be a universal app.

Yes the 'number pad' on the main screen does have a purpose:
    4815 = Friendly Bot ON
    162342 = Friendly Bot OFF
    42 = Start with double health
    there are a few more to be discovered.

Only outstanding question is should I and other developers go for the Freemium approach (free but with in app purchases)?

I am thinking of a free game that has 4-5 hours value and then just one IAP that unlocks further levels or features which are then updated weekly/monthly to keep it fresh?

2. Witlogic

Witlogic Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    The primary advantage to monetizing your game through in app purchase, rather than having a Lite and Full version is that you will pool all of your users into a single app - improving your chart position on the free apps leaderboard.

If you are going to offer your app as free, its also important that the initial install stays under the 20 meg limit.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I prefer a full game without an IAP to unlock it. The main reason being I can gift a full game to someone which I do quite often.

4. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Freemium!

Include simple Iap but also item Iap as people seem quite happy to pay good $ for Iap but won't pony up for non free initial purchase.

My theory is that with the number of shit apps around people want to try before they buy but also cannot be bothered with lite as they just want one copy/simple.

5. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    >> Simply don't do that. I can predict almost 0% of purchase. So far with my experience and the stats I've read, iAP buyers don't buy levels. They buy shortcuts (ex: experience, time for games like tiny tower), or power ups (weapons, potions, consummables).

4-5 hours of gameplay is already good for a free title. If you have iAP, make it a consummable, I promise you can't regret that.

6. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    on the money right here. I don't speak from personal experience, but this does go right in line with what I would expect given customer behavior. You really need to come up with compelling purchases however, but look around and see what others have done. Be creative!

As for a single app to improve a chance of ranking.. it's tough. Charting on free, lats time I checked, was significantly more difficult than charting on paid. I am definitely pursuing freemium myself, but always considering "is there a way I can produce a fully paid version as well?" if only to get exposure somehow? I am sure there are many who would argue with me (and I don't want to dilute the sales between the two, ending up with no ranks for either) but there's plenty of differing opinions about any method..

7. thedollarhunter

thedollarhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    London
    You make a very good point!

Yes I can see IAP working a bit like the BUY IT NOW on eBay for people who cannot wait or don't want to spend time levelling up to get a certain item.

8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    For Super Fly I have IAP levels and consumable IAP coin packs. The split between them is pretty even. Of course this game is not a huge blockbuster but its a decent indie/hobbyist game. Personally I feel more inclined to purchase an IAP that is something like an actual level rather than something consumable.