Should we review apps in App Store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MattB, Jul 28, 2008.

1. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    As useless as the rating system is in the App Store, the reviews can also be just as misleading. Consider this; Apple hasn't made it easy or streamlined for developers to test their apps, and when the developer fixes a problem, it can take weeks before the update is pushed through and put on the App Store. So while we're reviewing a crappy app/game, they could've fixed it weeks ago. There's no doubt that Apple is pissing off a lot of developers making apps for the App Store.

So with this in mind, should we really be submitting reviews and rating apps and games? On one hand, it may help the developers pinpoint a problem and address it, but on the other hand, it could hurt their reputation unfairly.

2. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I think it's a legitimate concern, but perhaps one that can be addressed by posting an update to a previous review if an app has changed significantly since it was originally reviewed. This is no different than reviewing software for desktop platforms.

We're actually in the exact boat described above where we made significant changes to the look and feel of our game after your initial review, but are still waiting for the update to get approved on the app store. It's frustrating how long it's taking for that to happen.

I wouldn't worry about reputations being hurt unfairly. If the version that you reviewed sucked, then let everyone know that. If the developer turns around and releases an update which makes it un-sucky, then you can always put an update stating that.

Personally, I'm very happy with the work that you guys are doing. You're one of the few (only?) sites that are reviewing stuff on the AppStore in a consistent manner and at a reasonable rate. Keep up the great work!

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Thanks for the supportive words.... but just to clarify, the original poster was talking in general, and doesn't represent TouchArcade. :)

arn

4. MattB

MattB Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Web Designer
    Plant City, FL
    Yeah, I'm just another fan of the site. :)

I'm not sure if it's possible to be able to update an earlier review, but if y ou can that'll surely help because I've posted a few reviews in the AppStore of games/apps I've tried, but wanted to go back and update them when an update came out.

5. mek

mek Well-Known Member

people should put the version # (ie 1.1 or 2.7 etc) of the app they are reviewing
    so when in the future someone reads the review, hopefully they would understand that the glitch was in 1.1 and another review of 1.2 was better so maybe it got fixed

i dunno, first impressions are a big one, but reviews are important

6. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    You can indeed. I've re-reviewed two games that I downloaded awhile ago that have since been updated.
    When you go to write a review for a game that you'd previously written one for, when you click on the "write a review" link, rather than being taken to a blank form, you're taken to your own previous posting, and you can write over it or add to it.

7. BobCat5142

BobCat5142 Member

Apr 19, 2013
    I never thought of that.... I say review it and of an update comes review it again properly

8. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    These days, iTunes by default only shows you reviews for the current version. :)

9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Yea, iTunes has progressed somewhat since this thread was made....like almost 5 years ago.