What's with the Authoritarian Moderators on TA!?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by natedogg213, Mar 14, 2010.

1. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Days ago I try to post a thread asking for suggested iphone game review sites - it gets deleted.

I start a post asking about suggested games to buy with a $100 gift card, taking into consideration the games I already have and guess what - it gets moved into a 300 page thread within an hour and I get a message from the moderator ("Austin") threatening "infractions"!

Seriously, are these guys getting paid and therefore feel obligated to make our lives more difficult? I didn't violate any of the forum rules. I find this very annoying. Are others experiencing this?

Hurry and respond before it gets locked or deleted! :)

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    There is no moderator named Austin here.

3. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    oh shi-

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    There's already been multiple threads on suggestions for other iPhone game review sites, and we have a mass "What should I get?" thread to keep the Games section from filled with the same threads over and over again. Sometimes the mods do cross the line, but this is pretty normal.

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Ahahaha.

The only Austin I know of is Austin:] Why would he send a PM threatening an infraction?

6. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Mind posting the contents of the PM?

7. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    That is the one who sent it. So this guy isn't even a mod!? He is giving me the equivalent of a forum "citizen's arrest." Man, this is laughable!

8. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    #8 natedogg213, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Sure, though I guess he isn't a mod after all. Here's the comment and my response.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Austin:]
    Just to tell you, your thread got moved to the 'Mass "What should I get?" thread. Just don't post threads asking what to get, then you won't get into trouble

MY RESPONSE:
    Get in trouble? getting infractions? LOL, what are we Austin, kindergartners!? And why is it that I can't post my own "what should I get" thread? Should I have to read through a 300+ page behemoth that started months ago, instead of having a current conversation taking into consideration the fact that I already have a collection of games and am asking for advice based on the list I've provided. I was getting helpful responses but now it is buried deep into a mass thread, already being disregarded and unhelpful to me. I simply don't have the time to sift through hundreds upon hundreds of pages...

If I had posted a "what are good games" or something generic like that, I would understand your point, but my post was quite specific. I may be new to this forum, but have contributed and requested information from forums long enough to know that we don't need a "big brother" staring over our shoulders and directing us. As for your threats of penalties, c'mon man, you're just being ridiculous...

And the other part is at:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=48238

9. WTF? This seems to be really weird. I dunno which side to support...

10. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    LOL, I just noticed that this got moved to the "Site Feedback and News" What a joke! Does it look like I am giving feedback or news!? Last time I checked, I was asking a question to other users. But if you do perceive this as feedback, my point is clearly not getting across!

I guess this thread had no place in "The Lounge"? this is getting silly, I'll just go elsewhere.

11. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I think you're overreacting...

12. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    You don't necessarily have to support one or the other, I just wanted to ask if the rest of you had dealt with this annoyance. I really do like this site and appreciate the user feedback, but if I have to search through archives just to get some advice, this clearly isn't for me.

Thanks for your responses everybody! Back to Tilt to Live!

13. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I think you need to calm down a bit..The mods on TA aren't douchebags.

14. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Arguably, but you have to understand that I am not angry, just frustratedly amused. I find it very funny that there is someone out there, going all "FBI" on our posts, moving this here and there. Next thing I know, this thread will be moved to the "Garbage" channel :)

15. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    As you already know, Austin isnt a mod here. He probably doesnt realize you dont get infraction for such small things. The thread was moved to the mass thread only to keep forums a lil more organized. There is no way in the world you would get an infraction for asking why your thread was moved/locked.

So there's no need to worry (or get angry towards the incompetent mods of TA ;))

And btw, this thread belongs to the site feedback only.

16. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    I appreciate your concern but I'm quite calm. I didn't say they were d-bags though.

17. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

The mods are just trying to keep the site organized and at maz-efficeny, while I agree they're judgement isn't always 100% perfect, they do their best. They're not trying to demonstrate their power or anything (or at least I don't think so :p), they just want to keep the site functional. They are also some "unwritten rules" that are not listed (such as post in the mass what should I get thread), but you'll learn them after a few weeks here.

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I really think you're overreacting. If you bothered to look at the Mass Recommendation Thread you'd notice that a lot of members are doing a good job of giving EVERYONE who asks suggestions.

Now calm down. You only get infractions for big things like Bumoing threads (see my sig).

19. natedogg213

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    When you get to the bottom line, there are thousands upon thousands of games in the app store. Therefore, in a gaming forum, you are going to have dozens of "what should I get" threads. It's unavoidable, and I acknowledge that it would be frustrating to have the same threads over and over. However, not everyone is willing to read through a massive master thread. They want to have some actual interaction that is both current and relevant to their needs. In my case, I provided specifics for others to take into consideration (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=23990&page=322) including games I already have. I was getting useful advice until it got relocated.

So since I'm now in the feedback section, I'll give some. Mods, Zincous or whoever is doing this, please be flexible! This forum has 70k threads or something, you can't organize them all! This forum is to help people find games and you are not assisting us when you relocate our posts into oblivion. You are supposed to assist and enforce the board rules. How about relocating my post back to its original location so I can get some feedback and advice, that's all I ask.

20. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

toucharcade vigilantes.