Gamers who have both iPhone and iPad.. Do you observe such user behavior...?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Silverous, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Silverous

Silverous Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I've been thinking and observing my own user behavior, ever since i bought an iPad. I' no longer play any games on my phone, all gaming are done on the iPad. Am wondering is this just me, or it happens to others too.

If you own both iPhone and iPad, what is your gaming behavior like?
    Would love to hear from you! Share it! :)

2. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    That happens...rather often I think.

3. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #3 violentv, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Me too.. I have stopped gaming on my iphone. I don't even listen to music on my iphone anymore thanks to the awesome AV experience that is Planetary http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planetary/id432462305?mt=8

Never quite understood the fuss/upset over why people require large full fledged 'hardcore' games like TWEWY to be universal..it is not like the saves are easily transferable to allow device swapping. I do recognize that as customers they have every right to demand/expect for it though.

4. Skyward

Skyward Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Happened to me as well, no longer play games with iPhone, merely with iPad.

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    i honestly love my phone....all KRPGS and most ARPGS are done on it....as well as pick up and play stuff...like most adult swim apps etc....I find i hate most button placment thats fixed on ipad games and all the customizable layouts are the ones i throw on the tablet....

on the other hand all the beautiful games like GOF HD and Horn, Chaos rings and Infinity blade are done on the Ipad

another genre that i load up on for my ipad is strategy based stuff....hex or not....as well as bullet hell and shooters...the size is key on those genres for me...

but to be honest my phone is my love for ios gaming...its were it started and were i do most of my gaming...sounds nuts i know...but i love smaller handhelds (3DS,DS,PSP,VITA)....which by the way is one reason im willing to break my contract when a new one inch bigger iphone 5 launches! :D

6. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Exactly what happened to me! I've always played games on my iPhone since its launch with the OG pretty much, upgraded three times since. Always enjoyed it but never took it too serious or ever visited a forum like this. Bought the new iPad on launch day and it's taken it to a whole new level! I play everything on it now, visit this forum all the time, get excited on Wednesday for launches, and have gone through a lot of games. The only game I feel needs to stay on my iPhone is Dungeon Raid for short waits when I'm out. iPad gaming makes me forget the Xbox even, especially lately with games like Bastion, TWEWY, Magic, GBWG and [insert current addiction here]. That's what's great about it, extremely cheap games and constantly something new. I only get excited for a few console games a year, but there's many more on iOS.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol..I must be the opposite of everyone. Despite having the new iPad...for the games I'm into, I still prefer to game on the iPod touch. It's more comfortable to hold in my hands. I even prefer games like Ascension on the iPod touch. =P

8. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    I'm also kind of playing on my iPad 99% of the time although I own an iPhone too :)

9. uchiha0031

uchiha0031 New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    i have both the iphone and ipad. i prefer to play my games on the ipad, especially cause i play games like MC3 and other Gameloft stuff :p a large screen makes it easy i find the controls on my iphone very difficult to use on fps shooters like MC3 :)

10. Me too! My iphone feels neglected! :(

11. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #11 seyoon, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    I think this is just normal given the real-estate and power we have on the iPad. I still game on my iPhone but only about 5% plays better on the smaller portable. Or course the phone is with me all the time like a third hand but given it's battery drain, I can't really game on it for extended periods unless I have no choice. But yeah, 95% of my iOS gaming is miles better with the new iPad. I can't clearly explain it but you have to experience it to know. Because of this, I don't think I'd even consider the iPad Mini unless it has Retina with better GPU and higher benchmarks. Nevertheless, I'm planning to upgrade my phone to the 5 but I don't think it will replace the iPad in gaming.

12. Garret

Garret Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    im guilty of this as well, any game i get now is for ipad

13. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011
    yea! that's what happened. just using my phone for basic functions. Guess it happens to quite a few of us here!

14. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I do most of my gaming on my iPad but still keep some games on my iPhone. Games like endless runners and jumpers and some TD games. Play Donut games on my iPhone also. Pretty much everything else I play on my Ipad.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I have an iPod Touch and a 4s, but 99% of my gaming is done on my iPad since I got it.

16. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    At first when I got my 4S last year I used it more than my iPad 2.But now I use the device that has the most battery left :)) So no leftover at my side.

17. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Add me to the list also! 95% of my gaming is now done on the iPad. The iPhone5 doesn't even interest me that much since I'm now using my 4 as a *gasp* phone!!!!11 again :p I have my music, Sirius and podcasts on my iPhone and games and other media on the iPad, works out very well.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm the opposite. I use my iPad mostly for work and to read the newspaper. I've been playing Bastion and a few iPad exclusives. But if I have a choice, I play on my iPhone 4S (which is just as powerful as my iPad 2).

For me, iOS gaming is all about integration. Back when I was a kid I had the time to sit in front of my Apple IIe and play Bard's Tale for hours at a time. These days I'm lucky to get 30 minutes at a time on my commute. Having great games in my hand at all times is a big deal for me. That's the promise that handheld consoles have never fulfilled for me (I rarely play my Vita these days -- even taking it out of my bag feels like a big deal). Even though I carry my iPad pretty much every day, it's not the kind of device that I would use on the go.

There's something about a small screen, too: brings back memories of my old GameGear :D.

19. Silverous

Oct 21, 2011

Oh woah, interesting. The gaming experience on the iPad felt so much better for me.. just couldn't resist to use it rather than my phone. And yea.. like some mentioned, to save my phone battery life.

By the way, do you observe a lot of people use iPhone or iPad during transportation in your country? In Singapore, the iOS device penetration is quite high, I do see that happening everyday. Am wondering about other countries...

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I live in the NE of the US (near Boston). I see tons of iPhones and iPads on my commute (as well as Android phones and Kindles). I would say 30-40% of folks play games, mostly Bejeweled, word games, and Angry Birds -- I've also seen a few people playing Temple Run. Every once in a while I run into someone playing a Square Enix or Gameloft game.

Out of hundreds of folks I see every day, I have run into maybe 2 or 3 people playing 3DSs, and I think I've seen a couple of PSP's and one Vita.