something for the younger ones

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mobile1up, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
  2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    The first answer to the question says "Teach him Python"... A good idea, but I would recommend starting with BASIC. I started with Python, a friend of mine started with Basic. Python somehow makes you lazy when it comes to type declarations which was very annoying for me when I wanted to write something in C# (I guess C# isn't really like C... I coded something in this language in a Codewars-like project... I havent taken part in that project for more than a year, but I feel it has somehow shown me that Python is "too easy"... It is still useful (I have to use it in school ;D), but switching from Python to C/Obj-C isn't that easy I guess...

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Tried out Python 'bout a year ago. If you stick with it, it's really not that hard to learn. I stayed with it for about 3 months. Tried learning Obj-C. That was the day I gave up programming.

4. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Lol, yes I didn't say Python is hard.

You gave up programing just because it's hard to learn a new language? If some of these kids (again, kids = young people, no offense!) give up that fast, they should wait a few years before trying to get a developer who codes for them...

5. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    I Rather Go Straight To C

I Rather Go Straight To C......
    Mostly Becauze Itz Pretty Eazy To Get It Down

C For Dummiez Iz The Book I Started Out With And I Gotta Say Itz Much Eazier Than I Thought It Would Be!! :D

But Dont Get Me Wrong Here
    I Never Tried Python Zo I Dont Know How "Eazy" It Really Is...... :confused:

Then Went On To C++
    Had A Little Trouble At Firzt But Then Got Uzed To It

But What Im Trying To Zay Iz That To Try With C Firzt !!!

But 4 A 12-year-old I Guezz You Should Try With Python.......

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    They should at least try. It's the only way they'll get a game out there. I might actually take a coding class over the summer. College course or something. You need some serious drive to go through a 600 page book.

7. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    You just need to be really interested in these things (look at KJY, hes 14, do you think he took a college course? ;-) ) but such a course might be helpful if you need some sort of extra thing that makes you continue even if you don't feel like it at some moments.

8. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    #8 Vingdoloras, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Edit: sorry I accidently posted this twice because my phone lagged...

Edit again: is there a way to delete this post? :D

9. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    1. Pleaze ztop replazing "s" with "z", itz annoying!
    2. For grown ups it may be easier... Children need to learn this new way of thinking first... Python and Basic are easier ways to learn this way of thinking...

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    this is the point - spot on.

i was 13 when i started programming; it was using BASIC on a Commodore 64 - actually before; you could manually type in binary dumps to create binaries from magazines - they were cool :) hehe. when i got into it for real; it was at highschool where my teacher actually gave me a computer (MicroBee 128K) where i ended up programming z80 assembler and was introduced to Pascal.

my first programs were very basic :) but, you gotta start somewhere.

11. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    alright so can you all help me? I'm a 13 year old who knows 1 thing or 2 in HTML on a windows vista computer. What should I do to start out? Thanks. I have lots of barnes Nd nobles money :p

12. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    I'm only 14 and when I was 8 I started web development with Microsoft frontpage. I got more into tge code and learned css and JavaScript as well as HTML without need for an editor. Last year I got an iPhone and really loved it and wanted to make apps for it. I got a mac and spent a lot of time learning objective c. This winter break I'm halfway done with my first iPhone app and I think it's actually an ok game. It is an go until you die type game where enimies come at you and you have to jump on them. I think the one thing that you need is determination to program. If you really want to program and understand basic math and algorithms you are good! Just get a lot of time and tons of code examples. I learned JavaScript from examples on dynamicdrive.com and HTML for looking at the code in frontpage. So my tip for a determined kid that wants to program look up source code and read online tutorials until you understand all tge code examples. We have a huge resouce with all the beginners tutorials online for free and code examples use them and don't get discuraged if it takes a long time. Just think of the bragging rights you will get the possibilitys you will open up and anyother reason you want to code. You don't have to start with a basic launguige just get a great handle on how coding works then dive in and most importantly have fun!

13. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Well that is your goal? You are kindof like me how I started read my post before. Also online tutorials are what I used and code examples. You don't need to spend much if you search around alot.

14. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    So I should just jump in and wing it....?

15. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Well what languige do u want to learn?

16. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Spanish XD hahaha nah. But idk. Something I can use on windows, but if I got a mC that I could use to help learn better mac languages

17. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Well before I got my mac I tried c++ you can use it on a pc I didn't Lear much but just made terminal apps. But it is the basis of objective c (the code for iPhone apps) and you can use some of it in iPhone apps. But objective c gets a bit more annoying and helpful then c++ I don't know how to make apps with user interfaces in c++ but I'm sure it's possible. Also you Could learn java. It is said to be the most complex languige but to me I think it's just plain annoying it works on pc and mac tho in applications called applets and in webpages. You also could learn visual basic. I have never used it so I can't really say much about it other then it can be used for programs on pc scripts in exel and xbox games. Last and not least there is the web languiges. I worked with HTML for a long time and it is very easy to learn and the best way to make profit in
    my opinion on a pc. It as you know is avalible on all devices and I have a online games site and I have Ads and I get about 100$ 2-4 times a year from them. HTML is nice because it has so many extensions to learn like php. Php uses HTML but has a few other nice features. Like using databases and stuff. If you go into web development I love this site http://w3schools.com/ it has almost everything to learn about web development. Oh also I lied theres one more. Flash. It costs alot but may be worth it you can use actionscript to make games in flash webpages and soon mobile games. Flash is coming to
    many mobile devices this year and soon. I'm not positive but I heard there will be a way to submit flash games to the app store.

18. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    I think that you should find a good website for tutorials for begginers on the code you want to learn read enough to get basic understanding then continue getting more advanced things like finding source code and modifying it greatly.

19. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    1. Prez, HTML is totally different from "real" programming languages. HTML is "just" a text formatting language!

2. If you are really, really interested and you know you won't give up, you might try to learn a difficult language like Obj-C (which can also be used for iPhone programming) right away... But if you want something easy, get BASIC or Python.

20. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Actually...Before starting iPhone programming, I had a 10-day course in C ++, but I never really retained any of that info..

I had knowledge of Flash programming though, which didn't really help much, but I knew what was a for loop, an if statement, etc, so I didn't need these things explained.