Grand Theft Gold is coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by GameVision, Jun 21, 2011.

1. GameVision

GameVision Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    #1 GameVision, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
    Hey guys,

Our new game Grand Theft Gold is coming. We are thinking about differnet ideas to present screenshot.

1, just show a really blurred image and ask gamers to "see it for yourself". The game will be free.
    2, just like normal games to show in-game screenshot.

Which idea is better? We have some screenshots here.

Please give us some suggestions!

BTW, we are looking for PR or marketing partners:)

Attached Files:

• 02.png
      02.png
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
    • 05.png
      05.png
      File size:
      217 KB
      Views:
    • 03.png
      03.png
      File size:
      150.6 KB
      Views:
    • 04.png
      04.png
      File size:
      190.9 KB
      Views:
    • 06.png
      06.png
      File size:
      133.7 KB
      Views:
  2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Naming this product Grand Theft Gold is the most self-destructive idea I've heard in a long time. Good luck.

Part of me wonders what the gameplay is like; the other part of me cringes at the sleazy title/logo rip.

3. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    #3 GameVision, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    :S ...

4. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #4 KiddToKmart, Jun 21, 2011
    Please come up with an original title for your game, rather than trying to succeed by imitating a mega-hit franchise. It will only backfire.

5. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yeah, especially the logo rip. The screenshots are intriguing enough for me to want to see a gameplay video, but that is a lil on the WTF side. If a developer is confident in his (or her) own work, wouldn't he want to make a name for himself and his game?

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Grand Theft Fail, indeed

I suppose you could've called it Grand Theft Grand Theft

Since you just committed a grand theft of Grand Theft

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can deal with the font, it suits the game quite well... I'm not sure Rockstar would be too happy with you using both the font and such a similar name though. If you go ahead with it I'd suggest having a backup name ready just in case.

When you talk about blurring the images, do you mean on the App Store? If so I think that's a very bad idea. People don't want clues, they want to look at an app and know within 2 seconds whether or not it appeals to them. I can pretty much guarantee you that if they see that logo with a blurred screenshot, a large percentage of people will assume it's a badly-made GTA clone and ignore it completely.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If rockstar see this I think you're in trouble as it looks like they're associated with it

Having a blurred screenshot and making people install it first is a silly idea

9. GameVision

Sep 27, 2009
    Thanks for these comments, guys. Really appreciate it.

I agree with that the name Grand Theft Gold may be risky. It took really long time for us to find a good name. One day, Grand Theft Gold just came out~~~. We thought it is kind of fun to use "Grand THeft" and it may get more attention. It's really hard to get noticed in the app store for small companies now :(

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I think you should start a thread asking for name suggestions and see if anyone can come up with something you like, it can't hurt to try. My own suggestion would be something like Gold Theft or Gold Heist. You could get away with using the same font, but keep the name simple and to the point. Plus a short name looks better on the iPhone springboard.

Even if you stick with the same name I can imagine myself buying the game because I like what I see in the screenshots, but there are people who won't take it seriously if they think you're just trying to copy Rockstar.

11. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes defiantly need a new name and logo, People would get your game thinking it was like GFA then realize it ain't and review it 1 star.

12. SonicHydra

SonicHydra Active Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I agree with what a lot of people are saying, using Grand Theft Gold as your title cheapens the whole thing and you wont be taken seriously. To be honest, my first thought when I saw the thread 'Grand Theft Gold' was 'Nice, maybe they've put GTA, GTA London, & GTA 2 in a pack' like a Grand Theft Auto Gold Anniversary edition or something. Then I saw your game and was not happy. Which is obviously not the reaction you want, especially as after taking another look it does actually look like a lot of effort has gone into this.

If you want to get noticed, and for good reasons, change the name, then advertise like crazy, just spread the word. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement, and wouldnt you prefer people saying 'check this nice little game out I found on the app store' rather than 'OMG look at this blatant rip off of the GTA name!'?

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Like everyone else has said, please change the name. It sounds like a cheap knockoff.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i did that ! Thought it was some major compilation of the classic top down Grand Theft Auto games and then like you say it looked like a cheap way of using the name to get a bit of publicity.

If this went out there'll be lots of 1 star comments from people who instantly bought this (without checking) thinking it was a 'proper' Grand Theft Auto game

15. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @GameVision:
    the others here are almost certainly correct.

From the screenshots, the game looks interesting, but the fonts, logo and name really need to be changed, otherwise the only thing that will ever stand out about it is the fact that it looks like it's trying to rip off a well-known franchise, no matter whether it's a good game or not.

16. AN.momo

AN.momo Active Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I agree with you that it's hard for small companies to get noticed. But stealing an awesome Game IP is definitely the wrong way. Would you like your successful Game IPs to be stolen?

It's a bad idea for every party.
    It hurts Rockstar, if another game of another company uses nearly the same name including the same font and same logo as their hit franchise
    It hurts the user, as they trust the brand and logo and hence expect a GTA and get disappointed by the fact they've been cheated
    It hurts you, as you'll get bad ratings (even if your game is great) as you don't meet the users expectations, as well as a possible lawsuit.

I can't say anything bout the game but I want it to have a chance, so invent an original IP. You've already raised some attention in the board, maybe that's helpful for "getting noticed" :)

regards

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #17 undeadcow, Jun 21, 2011
    That's exactly the point, resorting to cheesy tactics to confuse consumers is not a respectful or valid way to draw positive attention to your game. I think you should just release the game and be damned because you're just shooting yourself in the foot even in this promotion defense. It's very disappointing to see a "small company" defend lack of creativity and bankrupt artistic license (in product name at least) by whining about being un-noticed.

18. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Its like Doodle,

Doodle Jump, Doodle Bomb, Doodle God, Doodle Freaks, Doodle Fuse, Doodle Frog, Doodle Pad, Doodle Boat, Doodle this Doodle that. I understand why no one gets Doodle games anymore. And why Lima Sky wanted to claim copyright over Doodle.

That might be why Grand Theft is a bad idea. You will do it then someone else then another guy and eventually people will be like. This is Bull, why should i buy a game when a developer has come up with a name that has not taken much thought into it. It wouldnt matter if your game is first class. The name could be the most important thing.

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I thought this was sequel to GTA China Wars O.O... Bad name, you should do contest of new name or something as someone stated before. But I've seen worse names(or equal) such as Infinite Blade and Tiny Wings(on android!).

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Enough of criticizing your game name. How about gameplay trailer? If it's good game it's easier for us to appreciate this more.