Universal Lost Portal CCG (By Michael Camilli)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 18, 2016.

1. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Point taken on help/tutorial and thank you for the feedback.
    Regarding combat: Your creatures attack at the end of your turn, dealing their damage to any blocking creatures or the enemy player. They do not take damage back from defending creatures.

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like interesting.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #23 LordGek, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Good fun so far plays a bit like a hybrid of a streamlined Magic and the lane based combat of a game like Spectromencer.

Some unique twists I've learned so far:

1) All monsters attack the opposing baddy in their lane or your opponent if nobody is there to block them. Attackers do not take any damage in these attacks, only the defenders and damage done 1 round to an opponent's units is persistent (i.e not reset at the end of the turn like they do i Magic).
    2) Mana activated abilities act a bit uniquely in this game. Even though you can only play 1 mana a turn, you decide if you play it normally or, if a unit with mana activated abilities, play a mana source right onto it.
    3) Equipment can be played either before or after the unit of that lane enters play and if that crature is killed, the equipment stays in the lane for your next unit in that lane to use.
    4) Lastly, don't worry, while a TCG, there is no purchasing of card packs in this game or, unless I missed it, any way to use real money to purchase cards. You'll get gold and cards in the dungeons and with them you'll be abel to either forge or buy even rarer cards. $2.99 is all you pay until they add expansions with new cards.

4. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012

5. NightmareCC

NightmareCC Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Ok waiting for a iPad version before I get this one.
    The game looks pretty good!

6. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Hello,
    I would like to know if it's like Orions 2 (which I really like a LOT) ?
    Also, please share some impressions - mini review.

Judging from the gameplay video on youtube, I would suggest to developers to add to battle some special effects. For example to see particle effects, magic, claws appear and disappear, wind, poison perhaps, etc. To be much more alive. I know it's a card game and maybe you are not a big company but it would be fantastic if you could add these "mini touches" so even if it's a card game, to be more lively.

Portrait only is not very bad.
    Thank you developers that you brought us a premium title and not iaps /ads, etc and without an internet connection ALL THE TIME !!!

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Still forming an opinion of it. So far it's not bad. Probably worth the money. The layout of dungeons is dream questy, but it's not semi-permadeath like that. In fact not sure if there is a consequence for losing a battle.

I've picked blue which in starting to think was a difficult colour to play as I already have to go around and pick on rats for some leveling before going back to a better AI opponent.

To the guy that asked is this like orions. Yes it is somewhat. It is lane based, and you have to earn cards to build your deck just like orions. It's a very simple concept that works and I'm actually surprised there aren't more exactly like this.

Anyway. I wanted to know how the heck do I cast that v
    Cannot work it out. I press on the wording on the card, brings up that screen, I say ok, and nothing happens even though I have the aeon in stock AND even in hand.

Edit: hmm will have to give LordGek's item 2 above a go to answer my question.

Attached Files:

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    No MP I presume...

9. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Would much prefer it that way.

Anyway I'm taking the dive

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Sold, like waiting for universal Lost Cities, I don't mind playing iPhone games on iPad

11. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Haha. Lost Portal, not Lost Cities. By the way, Lost Cities exits and it's universal :)

12. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    I’d like to know if there are strictly better cards, unlike HS or Magic?

13. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Well I think this is good but can't be entirely sure until I can figure out how to play it properly! It's so weird that there are no instructions about how the game works.

I can summon creatures but no idea about how to cast those spells that appear to be counter spells... They glow green during the opponents turn but I don't appear to get a chance to use them...

I also found I can double click on a card to see the detail but having to then click the X to close is a bit annoying - just clicking anywhere on the card or outside the card should close it really.

And what are the different attributes you can apply to creatures? Honestly, this might be amazing but it's really hard to know... I just don't get how the developers thought it was a good idea to publish a card game and not tell anyone how it works?!

14. ThirdMoon

ThirdMoon Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    There's some information about the game and mechanics at lostportalccg.com. Not a full tutorial, but better than nothing.

15. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    I bought it and played the first battle (quest).
    I liked the gameplay and more importantly is not very easy (on normal difficulty). So far so good.
    The factor that I didn't very like is that it lacks a good presentation overall. Barely it has an animation and it feels like a beta version.
    It seems a very good game but if you could fix this, it would be perfect. See for example the board game "lords of waterdeep" from playdek. I know it's from a big company but they have a good presentation and besides the fact that it's board game, it doesn't seem just like a static image or anything like that.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    @badmani. To cast a counter spell you basically have to drag it out at the moment your opponent casts its spell on its turn. It's a real time thing. Easy to miss and will likely cause many lost games due to use of a twitch reaction mechanic in a turn based game. Still does work though, you just have to be watching and ready.

17. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Developer here. Apologies for not having better instructions on how to play; will be looking to fix that asap. Some information about cards can be found on the website here: http://lostportalccg.com/card-types

Regarding disruption spells, they auto-cast from your hand during your opponent's turn if you have the available aeon energy available to cast it. For example, a Mind Fog will cast if you have 2 blue aeons available and your opponent casts a spell that costs from 1-4 aeons. You don't have to try to drag it, it just auto-casts.

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You know what. I am having a good time with this. But damn does it need an in game dictionary. Every second card has a different card action word such as "armoured" or "rage" or "spell something" etc. all with different triggers and results. Just like in MTG. And not all those effect words are obvious as to what they do. Eventually it can be picked up of course.

19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Oh! Thanks LF. I had been dragging it out at the same time I guess, so that's why I was led to believe what I had thought.
    Got to say though, that's an interesting mechanic. You're taking a risk of whether you want to play that card before you've seen the target. There's...essentially not really any upside to that. It's a risk of either countering a card that you would actually choose to counter if given the chance...or countering something you didn't really care for. Interesting mechanic though.

20. nkarafo

Mar 2, 2011
    Three observations:

1) As mentioned before - it has to be a card close action not only on upper right corner x but wherever you touch the card. It's tedious every time to press the upper x while you play on the bottom side of the screen

2) It's somehow annoying when you attack on the enemy player (not monsters) and you hear all the time "ah, ah, .." which is the same sound effect all over again.

3) When you press double click to zoom in on the card, I would suggest to put also on the bottom an action to cast it as well, so that you don't have to close it and then push it on the pool to activate it. You have a quick activation this way. For example you can do this "cast" option on the circle icon at the middle, at the bottom above the description.