iPad The World Ends with You: Solo Remix (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by chaos_envoys, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the description
    It does sound cool
    The reason why I've never heard of it is because
    I've never had a DS so I'm not aware of the catalog of many games
    I have bought for my IOS device many Square Enix games so I'm slowly learning:)
    Thanks for the review link too

2. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    The iOS version info leaked out a few days ago and one of the US translators tweeted: " Ā“Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleakĀ”"

Renewed the hype, but it still ended up a port in the end.

And shouldn't a countdown usually hint at more than a port? Every time a countdown has been simply a port (such as with Baldur's Gate) fans have gone ballistic.

I mean, I think the port is great and I will most likely get it, but I understand the reasons to get upset. 1. Bias towards idevice 2. On a system twewy fans dont necessarily have or use (not on DS or 3ds) 3. drastic change in combat system. For better or worse, whenever the combat system is changed in a remake FANS WILL GET UPSET. 4. hints of more than a port (even with nice new graphics, it's still a port) 5. countdown

And 5 years is a lot of time to wait for a sequel. :( But if this is popular, who knows it may renew interest.

3. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    #103 AceWizard, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
    What's left of the game if you change the combat though? :S Might aswell stick with FF or some other RPG game then. Like asking to remove Guns from Call of Duty. NOTE: Im not hating or bashing you for not liking the combat system in the game.

Also i'd like to add, i have one good thing and one bad thing to worry about with this release.

The good one: If enough people buy it on the iOS, maybe it gets the attention it needs for a true sequel.
    The bad one: If it gets good sales on the iOS, they might A: Stick with having the next game be on the iOS aswell, or B: the sequel gets released on the 3DS, but with the 2 screen combat removed.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    "Hinted" is not the same as "announced."

5. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    It's definitely a cult hit, but with recent Nomura interviews, the cameo of characters in Kingdom Hearts 3D, a countdown in the site and a SE employee tweeting "guys, wait for the countdown, there's more to it!" after the leak that it was a iOS port, it certainly wasn't unreasonable of fans to expect the announcement of a sequel.

6. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    #106 gemineye62, Aug 26, 2012
    I really liked the ds version.
    The story was great and the battling was fun. I did feel that that
    use of the two screens was fine , but it felt a little strange still.

I think having both characters fight on one screen still looks great.
    I love the art style.

Oh, bye the way, you can buy a nice stylus if you want to play that way.
    No problem!

7. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the great description!
    Now I'm interested and will consider it after more discussion on this thread continues
    Thanks again:)

8. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    That's silly. There's way more to the game than its combat system. In fact, the main reason I enjoyed so much was the story and soundtrack. Frankly, the dual screen combat did nothing for me, it was just there. It certainly has an impact from a narrative standpoint, and hopefully they can balance that even with one screen only.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's a great story, a great setting, cool art, great music, interesting characters, and so on. Frankly, the pin system was cool, too -- it was the frenetic quality of the combat that completely turned me off.

I am not hating on it: a lot of people dig it, and I'm not saying they are wrong. It just wasn't for me, even though I liked pretty much everything else.

10. AceWizard

AceWizard Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Studying to become an Electrician
    Sweden
    #110 AceWizard, Aug 26, 2012
    Did i say it was? :S

Also, i might actually buy this anyway. IF The combat works good. I've already tried to play this on a DS with unaligned bottom screen, and it was a pain in the *** to even move the guy around. So precise controlls are a must for me if its gonna be worth it.

And sure zero, It had awesome story, music and the pin system is awesome. But i still find the uniqnuess of the combat to be the main factor of what drew people to this game ( i could be totally off here, but it seems to be the thing most of us discuss when on boards dedicated to this game) . The second part was probably the music. ^^

11. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I repeat, as far as I'm concerned the vast majority of people who bought KH3D would barely know or care who the TWEWY characters were, a countdown is no indication of anything and neither is one rogue PR tweet. It is exactly the kind of game that becomes TEH BESTEST THING EVAR in its fans' minds and they will seize on anything as proof they must be about to get more of it, because given how much they love it, how could they not? And now it's going to those disgusting iOS fanboys who do nothing but play silly casual games all day? Ew! Betrayal! Sickening greed! Yawn.

This port may well turn out to be a poor imitation of the original but the fan reaction is still the kind of childish whining that pretty much deserves to be dismissed out of hand.

12. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    And now the vita fanboys are complaining because they didn't get the port :D

13. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Fanboy rage is always childish. But let's not pretend this isn't exactly the kind of thing that happens given similar circumstances. It was pretty much the expected reaction, and if SE thought differently they just don't have a clue.

14. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    #114 shero89, Aug 26, 2012
    Indeed if the game was released without that teaser website and all that hype from SE none of this would have happened almost everyone I know who love this game was expecting a sequel

15. To be fair, the top screen controls can be completely automated if you didn't want to deal with it in the original DS version. The choice was there.

And regarding the tweet, I found that #moredripthanleak part particularly obnoxious. He really didn't have to say anything at all.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    So this happens while I'm away from TA for an entire day for the first time in 2 years? >_>

1) KOF-i 2012? Your stay was short and sweet, I'm afraid you must be deleted now.
    2) Is this following the standard "propagating around the world until 11pm EST" thing?
    3) Damnit, I really should've waited before getting KOF-i 2012. >_>

17. Ajstadel

Ajstadel Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    In answer to #2, yes.

18. shero89

Jun 28, 2012
    1) I deleted the game as well to make space for this game T T
    2) Yes
    3) and Yes I didn't even try the game yet same goes for nova 3 :(
    4) Welcome back :D

19. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I watched sanuku's video and I'm on the edge with this. I understand that it's really well known in Japan and a very good rpg, but the game play didn't impress me. It just looked like weird cut scenes and dialogue wrapped in randomly with combat? Can someone please explain how this game works?

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I love all the hate pouring in for this port, a definite popcorn moment :p