Anyone one using revision control on development?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RookieStudio, Jul 21, 2009.

1. RookieStudio

RookieStudio Active Member

May 4, 2009
    #1 RookieStudio, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    Hi, any one use cvs server on leopard. Can recommend the step in configurating leopard? I Cannot find good resources on getting pserver to work. I would like to use GUI client like smartcvs. Thx.

2. ddn

ddn Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Programmer by day but at night also programmer.
    Look behind u!
    I couldn't get the built in version controlling software for Xcode to work so I just gone with WinCVS for the mac. I used WinCVS for the PC and was fully satfisfied with it. The mac version isn't as polish as the PC version but its usable.

If you want I can try and dig up the links for it, it wasn't straight forward to find the missing pieces.

-ddn

3. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use cvs. Use svn instead which fixes some of the problems cvs has.

Subversion lets you use apache as a server, or use its own server, or just use a folder on your local system. XCode also has support for subversion so you already have a GUI. There are standalone apps like smartcvs, and there is also a finder plugin but that seemed to stop working for me with the 10.5.7 system update.

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    SVN is great, even if you are working alone. I have a stand alone server running on my 'always on' windows box using visual SVN (so much easier to set up than the old command line stuff). I use the wonderful Tortoise SVN client for my windows version and SCPlugin on the mac for the iphone. SCPlugin is a little crap compared to Tortoise but sort of works. I should probably look into xcode's built in SVN stuff too at some point...

5. nbast

nbast Member

Jun 17, 2009
    We use VisualSVN with Tortise at work, and it's great.

I'd like to set up SVN on an old iMac at home and use that from Xcode on my laptop.

If anyone has installation advice, I'd love to hear it.

6. RookieStudio

RookieStudio Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I will go the svn route and use Versions as GUI client.:)

7. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Kinda on-topic, does anyone know of a good visual tool to do SVN merges and conflict resolution on the mac?

I've always had to resort to windows to handle conflicts.

8. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    That's exactly how I do it, occasionally (maybe twice in 8 months) resorting to hand fixing the conflicted file in xcode.

This thread has just inspired me to look into XCode's built in SVN stuff.

9. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    We are using the built-in svn client in Xcode. It's a bit of pain to work with though. It seems to lack essential commands such as clean-up, and I haven't dared to try merging with it. Well, at least it backs up my work somewhere beyond my own fragile laptop. :)

10. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    command line is the best, go old school!

Maybe it's just me, but I've always found GUI revision control to be cumbersome at best, and seriously limiting at worst. Learn the command-line commands for svn, and you'll a) understand what you're doing better, and b) have access to all the features, not just the ones that particular GUI decided to implement.

That rant out of the way, xCode isn't the worst svn client I've seen, but it's pretty bad. Most everything is available from the right-click menu when you click on a file or folder, and also available from the SCM menu. I also found that xcode was accessing my svn server rather more than it should be. I had to "go offline", or I started getting errors when my server decided I was connecting too often (or maybe my server is just lame, but it's svn+ssh with my webhost, so I don't want to connect too often, lest they think I'm doing something untoward.)

Anyway, I think the main objection I have with xcode's svn isn't so much a problem with the svn (SCM) implementation, but rather with the way xcode handles the filesystem. Basically, the list of files and folders you see is in no way the same as the files in your actual project folder. This infuriates me. I don't see why xcode can't just move the actual files when you move them. So when you create a folder in xcode, you're not really creating a folder on the filesystem. (I fully admit that there might be a setting to change this behavior, but if there is, I'm not aware of it.) It's for this reason more than any other that I use the command line svn more often than not.