iPad Red Conquest - (by Cat in a Box Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wootbean, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    wow, you're fast!

I guess it is saturday, so you can dedicate yourself to the game. :)

Let me know when you've finished all the challenges... especially the "Survival" one called "A tale of two...".

:)

It's devilishly difficult. :)

2. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    wow! so this game is beautiful! one of the best looking games.... i love how the ships are super anthropomorphic, and the colour schemes are just brills...

it is frustratingly hard right now. im just playing the first level.. trying to figure out how to 'mine' stuff so i can build up my fleet before the 'blues' swoop in a destroy me everytime..

other than that, i will be playing this a lot. i have an 8 hr flight to the east coast, and i expect to play the hell out of this game on that flight.

keep up the amazing work!!!

3. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Oh, and yes, each new expansion will include a complete new episode's worth of campaign levels, "side" missions, extra challenge maps, and probably more multiplayer maps and modes.

Online multiplayer is still being investigated, and it seems you guys really want it. :)

4. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Don't try too hard!

the first level just familiarized you with movement and map controls. Level 2 is where the building begins. :)

5. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Hell yeah. :p

If you were to implement online multiplayer, would you make it purely random matchups? Or would you add accounts and being able to request battles with a certain person/certain people?

6. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Just move a harvester (the unit that looks like a face with a big open mouth) to a resource area (resources look like meteors but are twisting). The harvester will then mine resources for you on its own. Then click on your base or a foundry and click the hammer icon. The rest will explain itself.

@John: So what about the soundtracks? :D

And yes we would of course definitely love an online multiplayer

And I am still dreaming of a level editor :D

7. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Well just finshed campaign...it's a great campaign but very short and Episode 2: Confession looks amazing!!!! Yes we want online multiplayer!!!! O btw in skirmishes wat faction do u prefer John? I prefer blue but it's just my opinion.

8. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Game Impressions

Bought it last night, didn't have time to play it.
    Played it for a tiny bit, it's pretty awesome, the controls are simple enough and very touch oriented, so it's easy to get into. Although they can be even deeper than that with formations and stuff.
    I'm going to have to get used to this control scheme, but it's very easy to get into.
    Graphics look great. :)

9. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I think you should definitely think about adding Plus+ to the game. Especially if you're thinking about online multiplayer, it could help you let players match up with their friends.

10. drone9

drone9 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Any plans to ramp up the smart factor and offer difficulty settings for local multiplayer ai?

11. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    Just played the tutorial and the first level and the art style is pretty amazing. I like the sense of scale in the game.

But the second tutorial level was kinda weird. When going to one of the ships that tell you how to play the game and control stuff they should know when you do the things right, that they tell you. It was pretty confusing, that they would ramble on about all those things you could do, when in reality you just finished their part of the tutorial.

But other than that, the game seems really polished and a lot of fun.

12. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Is there a tutorial anywhere? I started the first campaign mission and have no idea what to do :confused:

13. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Want the musiiic :D

14. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    First of all, this game is amazing. Second, $4 may be a bit on the steep side for a cup of coffee, but for a game, let alone one with this depth, it's a screaming deal. And yes, the game is hard. That's why it's fun. Give it some time, learn the controls, and then enjoy the complexity and depth. A perfect next step after Blue Attack! I can't wait to see what's next. In fact, the only thing I'm not completely thrilled about is the art style of the cut-scenes which seems completely out of place with the clean style otb the rest of the game. Far from being a deal breaker though. Thanks, John, for another great title. Best of luck with the new company.

15. jakooistra

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMWnW4zC9hQ

I made this video to show which screens I normally use and how to play the game. Part of my success has to do with how quickly I make my decisions, but you can make up for that by turning down the game speed in the game options screen. :)

you should watch it on your desktop, because there are a lot of those little text boxes explaining what I'm doing, and they don't show up in the iPhone player.

hope that helps!

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    embedded for you non-clickers

17. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Hey, thanks for the video! Just got my ass handed to me by a bunch of Blue Demons. Maybe this will help! Love this game!

18. smartguy911

smartguy911 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I am having a lot of trouble picking up on all of the things in this game (there are far to many to miss). I hear people talking about tactics and such that I have yet to even see due to such deep selection/building menus and commands. This game seems like a lot of fun but has a tremendously steep learning curve. Any tips on picking up all of the tactics and such in this game as quickly as possible?

19. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Thanks for video

20. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Game Impressions

Oh yeah, one more thing regarding the game. I experience absolutely no slowdowns on my 1st Generation iPod Touch, so all devices should have no lag. :)