Will the release of 4S see a lot of 4S only games being released?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mashead2000, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Ok so we all know the 4S has the ipad 2 A5 chip do we think developers will now concentrate on this and maybe drop 3GS?
    We all know of games like Machinarium thats only for Ipad 2 does anyone think they may be now released for 4S?

Cheers :)

2. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    No clue, but it would be both awesome and annoying if this happened. Awesome because I could see a lot of fantastic-looking console-quality games on the iOS, but annoying because I wouldn't be able to play them :D

3. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I am working on one for iPad 2/iPhone 4S. The engine is being developed now and will have large city scenes with fully dynamic soft shadows (only possible on IOS 5). I will probably also add god rays as seen in the Infinity Blade 2 demo.

It's going to be an on-rails mech shooter with dub step music and cool visuals :)

4. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I think the 3GS will still be supported for at least the next year. I don't see the iPhone 4 or the iPad 1 being phased out anytime soon.

5. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I think it'll be like the release of the 3gs. When it was first released, very few games only supported it, and those that did only support the 3gs usually had a version that supported the older devices (i.e. Dark Raider S). Jump to a year later, and there still aren't nearly as many apps that only support the 3rd generation devices as there are ones that support almost all devices.

6. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    To the OP.iPhone 4S only games don't think will come out.It has only 512MB of ram not 1GB,and has only a 800MHz A5 CPU vs. the iPad 2 1GHz A5 CPU.So it's weaker than the iPad 2.

7. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    IMHO, processing performance means nothing for good games.

A faster computer (or in this case, iPhone) does not necessarily make games better, games are not about the best 3d graphics and uber good sound. These things certainly help with the overall depth of the experience, but look at all of the top games in the app store. How many of them are pushing the boundaries of the iPhone 4?

That said, sure there will probably be a few good games that are 4S only. But I wouldn't worry yet, most devs (myself included) tend to hang back a model or two when developing games.

It would be interesting to know how many people are going to grab one of the new 4S's though, so I started a poll here.

8. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Also keep in mind of the screen size:

iPhone Retina: 960x640 = 614,400 pixels
    iPad: 1024x768 = 786,432 pixels

So even though the chip is clocked lower, the iPhone has 0.78% of the pixels to draw so I would expect performance to be similar.

9. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Lol add GTA 3 to the list of A5 chip only devices then!