Honest price suggestions for a new arcade game.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stamasar, Aug 23, 2010.

1. stamasar

stamasar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

i `d like to have some feedback for the price of our upcoming game "Flying Discs: UFOs, Missiles, Soccer Goals, Ninja challenges, Ghosts and much more" .

[​IMG]
    icon

[​IMG]
    image of the game

We are thinking of its price at $2.99 but start it on sale at $1.99

This is the game:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=64820

It`s a game that if someone likes it, `s gonna need many hours to end it.
    Myself have more than 80 hours pure gameplay on the normal mode (besides the beta testing i`ve done - i am sick of it now... LOL).

And if someone finish it first on the hard mode (really hard though, haven`t make it to the middle yet) he also gets a $300 reward !

Waiting for your true opinions on this.

Thank you
    Stamatis - Legal Radiation team

2. QuantumDuck

QuantumDuck Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Spreading the word about FREE apps!
    First of all I really think you should think your title through...any app like that on the app store would turn me away immediately. Once it has a good title I would buy it just because I really like the graphics and the looks of the concept. Second, you should really think your contest through. If you add anything about a contest into your app it automatically puts a red flag up on the Apple side of things. Im a developer and contests have never really worked out so I advise you not to do that if you dont have to.

Finally I would love to beta test your game if you still have a slot, but if not shoot me a PM and maybe you can agree to have your game free for a day for me to post on my thread. By the way Im the free app man :D

PM me and let me know if you want to have your app go free for 24 hours and Ill get you a lot of attention (focused on your game) and downloads should go up some after that.

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #3 LBG, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    I agree that the name of the game isn't very good. I think it needs to be changed to something else (maybe with some words like "random", "chaos", "crazy" etc). But the game itself looks great, I like the look of the art style. It seems like the type of game that could reach the top 100, but if you are aiming for a place in the top 100, then I suggest you start off with a $0.99 or $1.99 price and raise it if/when it becomes popular. It is a risk, but with some advertising it could work. If you have doubts that it will reach the top 100 then your current pricing plan would be fine.
    Good luck :)

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    59p. Trust me.

5. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay 2.99 for it, no matter how positive the reviews. Even 1.99 is pushing for me. I don't usually pay more than 99 cents for this kind of game (only one i've paid is Lumines). For 2.99 i expect a story, levels, characters, art, endings...

I agree the title is kinda generic, too.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This is kind of the wrong place to ask for pricing advice because the answer will always be "free or 99¢".

7. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Or even "Pay me 99 cents to take it". :)

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #8 LBG, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    Not really. All the answers so far have been reasonable. This game is a $0.99/$1.99 type game and if it's any higher then I don't think it will sell nearly as well.

Besides, if the people here that obviously have a particular interest in iPhone games answer "free or 99¢", like you said, then do you really expect people outside of TA to buy it if it's more expensive?

9. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    The problem here is that the majority of TAers seem to feel that every "game is a $0.99/$1.99 type game and if it's any higher then I don't think it will sell nearly as well". Even if it is true in this case, its going to be hard for a developer to tell if he is being urged to 99 cents because that's what the game is likely to do best at, or if he is just being pushed to the bottom with every other game.

I am not sure what your logic is. I would think that people who are the most interested in getting lots of games would tend to try to get everything priced as cheaply as possible. The fact that a lot of good games might never be developed if they had to be sold at 99 cents would probably not weigh as highly as people's desire to get any particular game at 99 cents.

10. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The game looks crazy complicated:

You do a good job of explaining the game, but boy does it look complex. That's a lot of rules to get down D: Or so it seems... Maybe I'm just being dumb :eek:

Anywho, given the gameplay style, and apparent overall complexity, I think you should rethink your sale strategy. I think you should release it for $0.99 initially, and after two weeks, raise the price to $1.99 if enough people seem to be grasping the concept easily. But if there are tons of people like me that are having a hard time wrapping our heads around the concept and game, it might be smart to keep it at $0.99 until an update comes out that clears up the game rules.

Though not having played it myself, I'm not sure if the tutorial is good or not. Maybe it's the best tutorial ever, in which case, I don't think you have anything to worry about :cool:

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't think that's true. In my experience, the majority of TAers have judged the value of games fairly. I have seen many threads like this where the developer is suggesting a cheaper price and most comments are recommending a higher price. Just because people are suggesting $0.99 and $1.99, it doesn't mean that they want it cheap for themselves. I think the game fits that particular price range and if it's much more then it just won't sell.

12. stamasar

The game is quite easy to understand and play but rough to master and tame it.
    The only reason we have so complicated tutorial is that we dont want to leave questions on details to someone that wants to have the whole picture before he buys it because this is a new kind of gameplay we achieved to visualise and create.
    It has to do with the speed the color and the path of the objects as they move in the level while the player calculates all these and even distances and rhythms of colour changing.
    This sounds even more complex eh ???
    But once you play it you get it at once. Trust me on this one.
    Except you are a plant ! LOL (we have a lot of testers trying it and it`s ok - even my 7 year old finishes 3 / 4 levels on the easy mode).

Moreover there are 2 tuts inside the game.
    A fast one (4 static "iPages") and an exaustive / interactive tutorial.
    Also the game includes 3 modes of difficulty and a preschool mode with special graphics.
    The first time player should definetely start at the easy mode though to stand a chance to finish two or three - if he is good - levels :)

But thanks for your advise anyway.

Friendly
    Stamatis

13. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    start at $1.99 on a fixed release date so that it releases first in AUS, then works it's way from Europe to NA. Try to have it as a midnight release on a tuesday or thursday, as these are days recognized for games mostly. Also, try to avoid releasing it on a competitive release day, if at all possible. :) If sales aren't all that great, bump it down to 0.99.

14. stamasar

Why release it on a fixed date and what is the benefit if it starts from AUS ?
    You mean it follows the alphabet so it releases to UK and US at the end ?
    How this could affect it positive ?
    If it won`t get released on a fixed date, it won`t follow this route or should i lead it to that route from my account ?
    Sorry i don`t get it.

I understand what you say about tue or wed, if you say so, you propably have studied it and came up with that result.

Thanks a lot :)

15. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    #15 Burton, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
    Australia and New Zealand are the first countries to start a new day. xD I was talking about in order of time zones, not alphabetically. Most major publishers have this done and it seems to build hype, at least on this forum, on release day.

Consumers like an exact release date to look forward to. It seems to be much more effective then just leaving it in apples hands and having it released at a random date and time.

16. stamasar

And how do you succeed the sale on selected Time Zones / countries ?
    You just select groups of countries in the cp of your account in the iTunes connect and you add more ? and if so, how often do you add more countires ?

It sounds a litle complicated to achieve or i am as smart as a lemon...

17. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    I wouldn't buy it or try it even it's free. ):

18. stamasar

Oooh - that hurts.
    I would give it a second thought if you explain the reason though.

19. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Sorry I'm just honest. I have bad English so It's hard to explain, but
    Art, graphics looks enough okay, but the idea doesn't make me excited.
    Just not for me.

20. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    2.99 is a lot for an unknown game. But that is only my opinion.