Best Chess game on iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nullroar, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    I'm looking for a chess game that will help me study and learn to be a better player. I don't want a guide, but rather the engine itself. Multiplayer is not as important to me as an intelligent AI, and the features that matter most are those that will help me learn from my mistakes and become a better player.

Are there any comprehensive chess apps out there that provide an evolving and challenging experience to all levels of play?

Cheers,

Null.

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fritz, Hiarcs, Shredder and there are some free engines that are stronger then you could possible need as well. They can be dumbed down to give you a chance to win. There is no consensus as to which can dumb down more naturally. As a general matter, engines still dont do a great job simulating a beginning human.

3. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    Well I'm not actually at beginner level - I used to be quite good (ego aside), I just haven't played in a decade or so. Once I get back on my feet, I'll want something that can push me.

4. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I have the Gameloft chess game mainly cause it looked real good to play. It is pretty challenging but I myself havn't played in so long that I get my ass kicked on level setting 6 (I think it ranges difficulty from 1-7 or so). I think it's only $.99 cents too. Not sure though (I got it when it was free a long time ago) lol.

5. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    *waits for the thread to be taken over by people claiming gameloft is "ripping off" chess*

6. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    The best way to improve is not by playing against the computer (which can either crush you, or provide a very bad simulation of a human at your level), but by playing against opponents stronger than you (100-200 ELO points) and then analyzing those games (with the help of a computer most likely).

I'd be interested to know if there's something like that on iOS.

7. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    I just looked at Shredder and it looks spectacular. Does anyone have experience with it? What are the limitations?

@ CrazyGambit: Pretend I'm not talking about Chess, but DDR. I want to play and get good in the privacy of my own home, with the curtains closed : D

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Shredder is still my iOS chess game of choice, though I still like Chess Elite for playing games online.

I hear Fritz plays a better game than Shredder, but takes longer to make moves (and Shredder can already play a better game than me. ;)) I've heard people complain about the UI in Shredder, but I like it's no-nonsense, straightforward UI.

9. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Haha, I see what you mean, but no matter how rusty you are, there are always people of similar skill levels to find, so you don't make a complete fool of yourself. I truly believe playing against the computer is no substitute for the thrill of besting a fellow human.

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Shredder is the one I have, and its pretty good. However, they update all 3 of these apps from time to time -- they are not abandonded -- and I have no idea which is actually currently strongest, much less which has the best interface. I'd just get whichever one is on sale. Last time I did check, Hiarcs had the most convincing spiel on its web site for evidence of extreme playing strength. Hiarcs has never been world champion like Shredder was, but that doesnt mean that iphone Hiarcs isnt stronger than iphone Shredder.

Glarung (may not be spelled exactly like that, google it) may be the strongest free app. It was known as such the last time I checked. Its more than strong enough for almost anyone. All of the ones I mentioned are.

11. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Shredder is without a doubt the best chess engine, and I've tried a lot of them. It is close in strength to Fritz and Hiarcs, the interface is clean and fast to use, and it includes 1000 free puzzles to solve on the go.

Most usefully, you can adjust the playing styles, so you can make it play more aggressively, defensively, ect. This is invaluable; It drastically makes m games more relevent.

Shredder also has decent support, a strong analysis mode, a decent selection of game boards and pieces, and more. It's just overall a good app.

12. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Get Shredder. I just bought it last night. Its awesome!

13. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Shredder isn't as smart as Fritz, and Fritz isn't as smart as Hiarcs.

Personally, I prefer Fritz. Strong AI, and the interface is very nice.

14. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    @Tsharp - any reason why you like Fritz better? Is the AI or interface that much better?

I've been using the lite version of shredder for the past few hours now, and I am severely humbled. This app has forgotten more about chess than I will ever know. The included puzzles are a great change of pace, too.

Any compelling cases for a competitor?

15. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    There is only one winner and that is Shredder

16. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #16 K?!, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Fritz and Hiarcs are generally agreed to slightly stronger than Shredder. But that shouldn't be a problem unless you're ~2200, which I doubt you are. Seriously, nearly everyone in this thread has told you to get Shredder.

17. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    And I think I will. : D

I'm just curious as to the disconnect. "X and Y are generally considered to be sliiiightly better than Z, but you should get Z."

I don't get it!

18. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #18 K?!, Jan 7, 2011
    oh, sorry. Meant to say that Fritz and Hiarcs are slightly stronger, not better.

Shredder has a better analysis mode, and a more adaptable and human-like engine. It also has the 1000 integrated puzzles and good developer support.

What?

19. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #19 tsharpfilm, Jan 7, 2011
    I like the way Fritz plays more. It plays like an intelligent human player. And the interface is much cleaner than Shredder's. You can see screenshots over on iTunes.

Shredder has more packed into it. If you really enjoy the extra features, puzzles, etc, you should get Shredder.

20. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    Got Shredder. The app reeks of POWER. There's virtually no thought time as it calculates how to beat me, either.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I may get Hiarcs or Fritz as well just to compare. I'm pretty much overloaded on Chess and Bug Heroes for the weekend, though.