New here and looking for advise

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MonkeyBoy Simian, Mar 30, 2017.

1. MonkeyBoy Simian

MonkeyBoy Simian New Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Hi

Ive recently finished making my first iOS game using GameSalad. Does anyone here know whether these guys might take a look at it and maybe review it?

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    What's the name of the game? Anyway, you can send it to [email protected]. Someone will certainly look at it. That's about as far as we can promise.

3. MonkeyBoy Simian

Mar 30, 2017
    #3 MonkeyBoy Simian, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Okay, I gave it a few plays. It's a cute idea, kind of a shoot-em-up set-up that focuses on navigation rather than directly attacking targets.

A few thoughts:

- The controls are a little confusing. I wasn't exactly sure how I was meant to move the bee. I think I'm supposed to tap where I want him to go, but that wasn't super-responsive either so I feel like I'm missing something. I wanted to be able to drag him around using a virtual stick or something, but even just knowing what I'm supposed to do would help.

- The collision detection is kind of confusing. It was hard to tell exactly what part of the flower I'm supposed to touch to collect it. It was also hard to gauge how close to the dangerous objects I could go without getting killed. In a one-hit game, it's really important to make the safe boundaries clear for the player. Maybe highlight them somehow? A little more feedback when you hit something, good or bad, might help as well. It felt like things were just disappearing in a blink sometimes.

- Graphics are cute, though. It was pretty neat when the bad weather kicked in, too. I wasn't expecting that.

- This isn't bad for a first effort, particularly given the limitations of GameSalad, but to be very frank, it feels like it needs a lot of work. Good idea, nice art style, iffy execution of the mechanics. Please don't be discouraged though, because I see potential in it.

Hope that helps.

5. MonkeyBoy Simian

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Shaun. The points you've made make sense to me – those issues regarding collision detection were something that I couldn't really resolve. I spent a good three years on this thing (very part-time) as I work full time. I am heartened by your encouragement though. This was really just an experiment to see if I could actually complete a game and get it working, and on the App Store. I've begun a new game, something totally different and I'm hoping to turn this one around much quicker. Either way, I see this a creative outlet with more of a technical challenge. I have some graphics experience but the whole game dev bit is really stretching my brain. Thanks again – I'm glad I wasn't laughed out of the forum.